Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mmgm
The wonderful breakfast is served in a paper bag in the room.
Hotels that provide in-room dining are currently providing either paper bag drop off service, or tray service with everything wrapped in plastic. While the drop-off service is less elegant, I don't really fault properties for choosing this option given current operational challenges. I'm just pleased to be able to get room service, given the number of properties that are providing zero or very limited (e.g., on site market only) food options. This holds particularly true where the meal in question is free.

In NYC, where the market is a complete bloodbath, with many well known properties permanently closing, I personally would be delighted to be able to get anything on property. Certainly wouldn't find me complaining about a complimentary breakfast.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:57 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hotels that provide in-room dining are currently providing either paper bag drop off service, or tray service with everything wrapped in plastic. While the drop-off service is less elegant, I don't really fault properties for choosing this option given current operational challenges. I'm just pleased to be able to get room service, given the number of properties that are providing zero or very limited (e.g., on site market only) food options. This holds particularly true where the meal in question is free.

In NYC, where the market is a complete bloodbath, with many well known properties permanently closing, I personally would be delighted to be able to get anything on property. Certainly wouldn't find me complaining about a complimentary breakfast.
I’m not complaining about the paper bag. I’m complaining about not separating hot beverages in the bag from other food when it is packed too tightly to remove. Also providing wooden flatware that is unable to cut the food is unsatisfactory.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

That is exactly how I felt during our stay, the breakfast experience was great considering the circumstances. Also the state of NY is very strict with their Covid rules, I bet alot of the delivery protocols that hotels in NYC are following currently are being mandated by the state.

Last edited by Tonyr4; Oct 8, 2020 at 10:15 am
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:12 am

I’m not complaining about the paper bag. I’m complaining about not separating hot beverages in the bag from other food when it is packed too tightly to remove. Also providing wooden flatware that is unable to cut the food is unsatisfactory.
It appears that you are being extremely nit picky here.......
The hotel had very quick responses to any small issues that we had during our 3 day stay. Did you ask for regular utensils? Our family had no problems with the wooden flatware btw.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Also be aware that hot beverages are provided in a paper cup that is packed in the paper bag. I spilled hot water on my hand this morning trying to remove it from the bag.
I would prefer not to share the other issues I had but they were more significant than the breakfast.
Speaking from a hotelier perspective this is a huge no-no as it's just asking for a lawsuit. Did you pass this issue on to management?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Speaking from a hotelier perspective this is a huge no-no as it's just asking for a lawsuit. Did you pass this issue on to management?
Honestly we had coffee delivered with breakfast 3 mornings in a row and they all came packed in a paper bag with our meal. The cups were at the very tops of the bag in holders and easy to pull out without getting burnt. I've stayed at this hotel once in my life so I have no dog in this game...... I am shocked though at the pettiness here disparaging a business that I'm sure is fighting to stay afloat.

Last edited by Tonyr4; Oct 9, 2020 at 5:11 am
Old Oct 9, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
Honestly we had coffee delivered with breakfast 3 mornings in a row and they all came packed in a paper bag with our meal. The cups were at the very tops of the bag in holders and easy to pull out without getting burnt. I've stayed at this hotel once in my life so I have no dog in this game...... I am shocked though at the pettiness here disparaging a business that I'm sure is fighting to stay afloat.
Your accusation of pettiness and being disparaging is way over the top here. Unlike you, I am actually a fan of this property and that's precisely why I asked OP if the concern was relayed to management. Management should be aware about this for their own benefit.

As previously stated, I am speaking completely from hotel management perspective as someone who has worked in the industry for many years. Nothing is petty especially in such a litigious state and given OP actually spilled the cup.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Can anyone who's stayed here recently speak to the breakfast situation?
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Same as before. Room service. Still good.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
I can also report from recent stay that my coffee and juice were delivered separate from the bag with food, using a drink carrier with a handle. Wooden flatware remains, however picking up and eating the avocado toast with my hands worked for me.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Anyone have a more recent update of service changes at this hotel given continued reopening? Breakfast? Housekeeping? Still trying to figure out what I do with my cancelled HC TS reservation.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by adambadam
Anyone have a more recent update of service changes at this hotel given continued reopening? Breakfast? Housekeeping? Still trying to figure out what I do with my cancelled HC TS reservation.
We stayed the weekend of May 7th. Breakfast was still in room for globalists. No housekeeping unless requested. Upgraded to the Andaz Suite, but I had to pull up the app to show I could see the availability before front desk would put us in the room. (which was incredible, by the way). Watch you rbill upon checkout. We were charged for the room service breakfast and had to call to get it removed since there was no other way to dine.

All in all, great hotel and great location.
Old May 20, 2021, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eke2k6
We stayed the weekend of May 7th. Breakfast was still in room for globalists. No housekeeping unless requested. Upgraded to the Andaz Suite, but I had to pull up the app to show I could see the availability before front desk would put us in the room. (which was incredible, by the way). Watch you rbill upon checkout. We were charged for the room service breakfast and had to call to get it removed since there was no other way to dine.

All in all, great hotel and great location.
Strange that they initially charged you for room service since even in the before times, room service breakfast was fine for the free Globalist breakfast.
Old May 20, 2021, 8:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I like this hotel but decided not to book it after seeing the more limited menu.Its doable but a long way from what I looked forward too when staying there
Look forward to returning when they are back in full swing
Assume the old splash suite (since renamed) that I loved staying in is no longer allowed?
Old May 24, 2021, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Alright, stayed here this weekend after HC TS cancelled my reservation a week before we were set to check in as they didn't reopen. Ended up switching to a points stay here and had a very good overall stay. It was my first time at this property and was generally very happy. Was upgraded to Andaz Suite (could see it in the app before check-in). I would describe the suite as small by suite standards, but large by NY standards. Was nice to have a separate living room area and the large bathroom (and great shower) was much appreciated. My only real feedback on the room is I wish they spent some of the money on the really poorly designed lighting controls on just better lighting. Housekeeping was daily with no services issues. Breakfast was all done via room service. It took about 20 minutes or so for the food to be delivered which I thought was pretty solid. Came neatly packaged in a little baggy that housekeeping cleared out each day. My SO went off the menu slightly and had no issues in the kitchen being able to fulfill the order. I know it is a limited menu but I would describe it as very well rounded. As a globalist, the charges were all wiped off the folio automatically, never even signed a check.

They aren't doing the drinks/snacks in the room, but they have some laid out in the lobby. In some ways this is even better than the room set up as you can grab a water or whatever everytime you come or go. My only wish here is I thought they could have had a little more variety. Something healthier than chocolate/chips would have been appreciated too. Even something like a banana or an apple I think would work better here in the lobby, vs in a room, given you can put out fresh ones as they are consumed instead of hoping people eat them in the rooms, where I imagine many would get wasted.

All in all was a good stay and fun to be back in NYC as it comes back to life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.