Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt glob, KLM/AirFrance plat
Does anyone have any idea how Andaz stands against Thompson Central Park? Both seem to be category 6, and both impose those crazy destination fees (waived for globalists) but there's a bunch of differences. I have not stayed in either hotel yet, but trying to figure out my next stay in March.

Thompson seems to be newer and (arguably) fancier, and based on the reports in respective thread, their beds are firmer. (A big plus for me.) I also prefer the location due to the proximity to the park. However, their rooms are smaller, and lack coffee makers, and on top of all that, they don't honor TSUs. Finally, the Upper Stories sound tempting, but they're neither bookable, neither upgradable on points. So, one has to stick to basic room if determined to stay on points.

Andaz seems to have no problem with TSUs, and the rooms are bigger overall. They also have coffee makers. But based on the reports, it sounds to me that the hotel shows some wear, and is not as nice as it used to be. Also, the beds seem to be on the plushy side, which is a drawback for me.

Is there anything I'm missing here? What would you chose?
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by pronichkin
Does anyone have any idea how Andaz stands against Thompson Central Park? Both seem to be category 6, and both impose those crazy destination fees (waived for globalists) but there's a bunch of differences. I have not stayed in either hotel yet, but trying to figure out my next stay in March.

Thompson seems to be newer and (arguably) fancier, and based on the reports in respective thread, their beds are firmer. (A big plus for me.) I also prefer the location due to the proximity to the park. However, their rooms are smaller, and lack coffee makers, and on top of all that, they don't honor TSUs. Finally, the Upper Stories sound tempting, but they're neither bookable, neither upgradable on points. So, one has to stick to basic room if determined to stay on points.

Andaz seems to have no problem with TSUs, and the rooms are bigger overall. They also have coffee makers. But based on the reports, it sounds to me that the hotel shows some wear, and is not as nice as it used to be. Also, the beds seem to be on the plushy side, which is a drawback for me.

I'd say go Andaz 5th but you said you prefer firm beds in that case go Thompson
Or the Park Hyatt (pricey on rev or award).For me the rest of the Hyatt choices are a no go.To each their own though
Yes Andaz 5th is the best Hyatt Choice most things considered value wise for quality.
And while there is some serous wear on properties Its not unacceptable or awful by any means.
pronichkin likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I prefer the Thompson. I don't like the extraordinarily spartan decor/furnishings at Andaz 5th, nor the weird layouts in the suites (esp. the bathrooms). Location of both is very good, but as a runner it is nice to be closer to the park.

Thompson will upgrade Globalists to Studio Suite prior to arrival if available. It's a very nice room, though there is no wall separating living and sleeping spaces.
pronichkin likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 9:08 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
However, their rooms are smaller, and lack coffee makers, and on top of all that, they don't honor TSUs.
I was told by Globalist CSR Thompson does honor TSU but not for Upper Stories.

Im prob going to stay there Nov 13, then Andaz Nov 20. We'll see!
pronichkin likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 9:43 pm

Will Globalists get upgraded to anything other than the Andaz suite at checkin?
Old Nov 3, 2022, 12:49 pm

tripmaster in my experience, if they have it to give, then yes. If not then no. I think your chances are better if you're there for one night vs. four for example...
tripmaster likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by madderlake
tripmaster in my experience, if they have it to give, then yes. If not then no. I think your chances are better if you're there for one night vs. four for example...
six nights! :-(
Old Nov 4, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Will Globalists get upgraded to anything other than the Andaz suite at checkin?
Originally Posted by madderlake
I've had the opposite experience and was told that I would have to pay for an upgrade beyond the Andaz Suite when I asked explicitly. These were 1 and 2-night stays.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I really don't think there's a one-sized fits all answer to these types of questions. Maybe they will upgrade beyond standard suite, more likely they won't. It depends on the guest, the agent checking you in, and a whole bunch of other factors. If you set expectations based on a handful of anecdotal reports, that's a recipe for disappointment.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I really don't think there's a one-sized fits all answer to these types of questions. Maybe they will upgrade beyond standard suite, more likely they won't. It depends on the guest, the agent checking you in, and a whole bunch of other factors. If you set expectations based on a handful of anecdotal reports, that's a recipe for disappointment.
Sounds like there's no hard and fast policy; my teenage son is first to arrive so I suspect they wont give him anything. But i did reach out to the new GM, maybe he'll keep an eye out for me.
Old Nov 6, 2022, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by tripmaster
I was told by Globalist CSR Thompson does honor TSU but not for Upper Stories.

Im prob going to stay there Nov 13, then Andaz Nov 20. We'll see!
told exactly opposite today….
Illinwu and pronichkin like this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 12:24 pm

Going here next month. Do any regulars have deli or pizza recommendations nearby? I realize there are like 50,000 places to eat in Manhattan but looking for some authentic NYC fare in the area that people have liked.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:00 pm

Programs: Perennial Free Agent
Originally Posted by redbirdsj
Going here next month. Do any regulars have deli or pizza recommendations nearby? I realize there are like 50,000 places to eat in Manhattan but looking for some authentic NYC fare in the area that people have liked.
Just get in a cab and go to Katz Deli and Prince Street Pizza.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:09 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
I've grown accustomed to artificial cheese on Dominos pizza personally
Having come from Australia this past week I had to laugh when I saw a hotel serving corned beef
and someone spreading Vegemite on their corned beef sandwich.Hopefully they didn't put mayo and mustard on it too unless it could drown out the taste
If only there was a deli police to call

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 22, 2022 at 4:10 pm
Old Nov 22, 2022, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jerkstore
Traveling with kids so looking for places nearby, not a 20 minute car ride away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.