Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound

Breakfast @ The Shop
What some diners may not be aware of...

Newspapers
To the teams credit when they saw I was disappointed they immediately had one at my door every morning after having to go to a nearby hotel to purchase one ^

Closing Thoughts

I realize that Andaz may not be for all guests...
Thank you for a useful review. A couple of "echoes" here:
The Shop was good about coming up for strict vegetarian options for me. The bowl of plain, dry oatmeal probably "tweaked" their gourmet sensibilities, but they were unrelentingly gracious about it...even adding a sprig of raisins, still on the "vine".

I'm a newspaper junkie. They know me and, by golly, that newspaper shows up reliably, without me ever asking, or even making my sad face.

I don't get to stay in nice hotels often (as a percentage of 365 nights). This is the one Andaz I've felt was worth going deeply out-of-pocket for.
Old May 26, 2015, 11:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Thank you for a useful review. A couple of "echoes" here:
The Shop was good about coming up for strict vegetarian options for me. The bowl of plain, dry oatmeal probably "tweaked" their gourmet sensibilities, but they were unrelentingly gracious about it...even adding a sprig of raisins, still on the "vine".

I'm a newspaper junkie. They know me and, by golly, that newspaper shows up reliably, without me ever asking, or even making my sad face.

I don't get to stay in nice hotels often (as a percentage of 365 nights). This is the one Andaz I've felt was worth going deeply out-of-pocket for.
Thanks for the kind words and lack of sad face
I too liked how "The Shop" no matter how busy would aim to please and get requests honored ^
I wish I had a dollar for every time my requests got ignored or forgotten elsewhere
From a fellow newspaper junkie

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 28, 2015 at 10:32 am
Old May 28, 2015, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Very comprehensive review 777 global mile hound! I'm actually excited to be going there in late September!
Old May 28, 2015, 10:52 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

My thanks, as well, 777.
Based on your report, I am really looking forward to my stay in early July.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:22 am

Thanks for the kind words all ^
I haven't had a pay raise here in years
So the appreciation helps to motivate the writing process if it helps others
Appreciate all your contributions as well here in and out of our Hyatt community
Cheers
Old May 28, 2015, 1:46 pm

Stayed here recently using the 2 free night certificates from Chase. My thoughts:

• Availability: They seem to play games with award availability. I tried booking 2 months out, and checked several times since then. Sometimes there would be rooms available and sometimes not. I guess it could be just cancellations, but it just seemed like a lot. Finally decided to change hotels to stay here about 2-3 days before the desired nights.
  • Check-in: was pretty painless. Host was nice and upgraded us from an "Andaz King" to a 1BR Suite, which I believe is a 2 level upgrade.
  • Room: Faced other buildings on the block, which was nice because I'd imagine the 5th ave side is pretty noisy. It was pretty quiet except for some daytime construction that I couldn't see ... it sounded like it was coming from outside but I couldn't find it. The bedroom was far enough away from the door where there wasn't too much hallway noise. The bed was nice, the pillows were not. They were the "king size" pillows as you'd expect, except they never really fluffed up. Seems like they needed to be replaced.
  • Bathroom: was incredible ... absolutely spotless, and everything was in excellent condition. However, one day the water just stopped mid-shower ... faucets too. Seemed hit/miss for the next hour or two, would have been a problem if I needed to be somewhere. /shrug
  • Minibar: was stocked with four bottles of water, 1 can each of coke/diet coke/sprite, a peach tea of some sort, some sparking water, and a few alcoholic beverages.
  • Housekeeping: My wife and I got sick so we didn't leave the room on our 2nd day there. Housekeeping called to see what time they should come service our room, we just requested new towels and a restock of the minibar. The towels arrived quickly but the minibar person didn't show up for a couple hours. Another minibar person stopped by 3-4 hours after that, so I guess one of those may have been part of the normal rounds.
  • Food: Didn't order room service or eat at the restaurant. I bet it's probably really good, but I'm not that fancy nor am I willing to pay those prices when there are tons of restaurants nearby. I mean, there's 2 Chipotle's within a block, and even though they're more expensive than the ones at home, my wife and I still ate for less than the cost of 1 entree at the hotel. Yes, I'm cheap.
  • Service: Here's where I feel this hotel was a little lacking. We had just come from the Andaz Wall Street. While I prefer the rooms at 5th Ave, every time I walked into the lobby at WS I was greeted by an enthusiastic employee -- no matter who was available, whether it was the guy that checked us in or not -- and asked if there was something they could help me with. I walked through the lobby several times at 5th Ave, once looking completely lost while looking for a food delivery guy that wasn't there ... and I was acknowledged with "do you need something?" from an employee that was clearly not dressed to be at the front desk. None of the front desk people said anything to me, not that time or the 4-5 other times we went through the lobby. I'm not a high maintenance guy, it just didn't feel friendly.

Last edited by Xonim; May 28, 2015 at 2:00 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Xonim
Stayed here recently using the 2 free night certificates from Chase. My thoughts:

• Availability: They seem to play games with award availability. I tried booking 2 months out, and checked several times since then. Sometimes there would be rooms available and sometimes not. I guess it could be just cancellations, but it just seemed like a lot. Finally decided to change hotels to stay here about 2-3 days before the desired nights.
  • Check-in: was pretty painless. Host was nice and upgraded us from an "Andaz King" to a 1BR Suite, which I believe is a 2 level upgrade.
  • Room: Faced other buildings on the block, which was nice because I'd imagine the 5th ave side is pretty noisy. It was pretty quiet except for some daytime construction that I couldn't see ... it sounded like it was coming from outside but I couldn't find it. The bedroom was far enough away from the door where there wasn't too much hallway noise. The bed was nice, the pillows were not. They were the "king size" pillows as you'd expect, except they never really fluffed up. Seems like they needed to be replaced.
  • Bathroom: was incredible ... absolutely spotless, and everything was in excellent condition. However, one day the water just stopped mid-shower ... faucets too. Seemed hit/miss for the next hour or two, would have been a problem if I needed to be somewhere. /shrug
  • Minibar: was stocked with four bottles of water, 1 can each of coke/diet coke/sprite, a peach tea of some sort, some sparking water, and a few alcoholic beverages.
  • Housekeeping: My wife and I got sick so we didn't leave the room on our 2nd day there. Housekeeping called to see what time they should come service our room, we just requested new towels and a restock of the minibar. The towels arrived quickly but the minibar person didn't show up for a couple hours. Another minibar person stopped by 3-4 hours after that, so I guess one of those may have been part of the normal rounds.
  • Food: Didn't order room service or eat at the restaurant. I bet it's probably really good, but I'm not that fancy nor am I willing to pay those prices when there are tons of restaurants nearby. I mean, there's 2 Chipotle's within a block, and even though they're more expensive than the ones at home, my wife and I still ate for less than the cost of 1 entree at the hotel. Yes, I'm cheap.
  • Service: Here's where I feel this hotel was a little lacking. We had just come from the Andaz Wall Street. While I prefer the rooms at 5th Ave, every time I walked into the lobby at WS I was greeted by an enthusiastic employee -- no matter who was available, whether it was the guy that checked us in or not -- and asked if there was something they could help me with. I walked through the lobby several times at 5th Ave, once looking completely lost while looking for a food delivery guy that wasn't there ... and I was acknowledged with "do you need something?" from an employee that was clearly not dressed to be at the front desk. None of the front desk people said anything to me, not that time or the 4-5 other times we went through the lobby. I'm not a high maintenance guy, it just didn't feel friendly.
Sorry to hear about you and your wife not feeling well on the trip and appreciate the comments
Sounds like they took great care of you overall and I assume you aren't Diamond! Wow a suite as a non Diamond I'm impressed
The Shop is not to be missed it is special and pricey
For those on a budget or not willing to pay a premium for a high quality its clearly understood and respected!
Wall Street Andaz Food and beverage pales in comparison and sadly makes me not want to go back unless just getting a nice room
We Diamond members are truly spoiled to dine complimentary at The Shop

Many of the popular properties play with their award inventory in my own experience/Seattle/ New York/Hawaii and others
that topic would make an interesting thread
My award night was sold out but opened up weeks before arrival

I like friendly as much as the next guy but this is New York City and IMHO you don't come to New York for a lot of warmth or hand holding though it happens
Agree that the friendliness was a bit off on my visit too but as I shared previosuly professional and respectful
But it varied at other 5 star hotels too like the Ritz Carlton at the end of the day its all about service
I live in San Diego because they are nicer than New Yorkers and I'm an ex New Yorker!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 28, 2015 at 3:27 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 3:33 pm

Sounds like they took great care of you overall and I assume you aren't Diamond! Wow a suite as a non Diamond I'm impressed

<snip>

I like friendly as much as the next guy but this is New York City and IMHO you don't come to New York for a lot of warmth or hand holding though it happens
Agree that the friendliness was a bit off on my visit too but as I shared previosuly professional and respectful

<snip>
You are correct. We just have the lowly platinum status that comes with the CC.

And yeah, I've noticed that most places aren't as friendly as here (Minnesota) even if it is mostly the fake kind of friendly. It's very apparent with service at restaurants. Generally speaking, bad/unfriendly service at a restaurant in the Minneapolis/St Paul area is still better than most service I've received elsewhere, ESPECIALLY in NYC. But again, we generally don't pony up for anything spectacular in any city.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I actually find the people in NYC very outgoing and yes friendly!

I'm in NYC twice a month, mostly stay at the Hyatt Union Square, the Andaz 5th Avenue is my back up. At both hotels the staff is wonderful, friendly, eager to please and welcoming. I have had both properties reached out to me before I arrive, they make every effort to make sure I get a room or suite that is noted in my profile.^^^

I normally hang out in the village, never have a problem breaking the ice and meeting some warm and amazing New Yorkers. I've been visiting New York for the past 25 years, I'm in love with the diversity, culture and the people.

But it varied at other 5 star hotels too like the Ritz Carlton at the end of the day its all about service
I live in San Diego because they are nicer than New Yorkers and I'm an ex New Yorker!
Old May 30, 2015, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I actually find the people in NYC very outgoing and yes friendly!

I'm in NYC twice a month, mostly stay at the Hyatt Union Square, the Andaz 5th Avenue is my back up. At both hotels the staff is wonderful, friendly, eager to please and welcoming. I have had both properties reached out to me before I arrive, they make every effort to make sure I get a room or suite that is noted in my profile.^^^

I normally hang out in the village, never have a problem breaking the ice and meeting some warm and amazing New Yorkers. I've been visiting New York for the past 25 years, I'm in love with the diversity, culture and the people.
Appreciate the kind words and thoughts
Hyatt Union Square has had some unusually wonderful team members
And I am deeply saddened the former GM and his assistant have moved on
I'd go just because of the way they cared about the team and their guests
The rooms at the Union Square property are really small though!
Even a suite upgrade there was dissapointing
Yes NYC has friendly folks but I can assure you some of the 8 million aren't so friendly or happy
Old May 30, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Yes NYC has friendly folks but I can assure you some of the 8 million aren't so friendly or happy

I really enjoy and appreciate your reviews and this comment made me bust out laughing as a native born New Yorker that as much I as I have fun coming back to Manhattan, I now just adore visiting Chicago. One reason I have come to realize is because well, the people are more personable for lack of a better word, with more common courtesies. The overall attitude is much more in line with providing good service.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
But what we appreciate is that New Yorkers generally let you know exactly where you stand - none of that superficial fake nice stuff that we get here in the bay area
Old May 31, 2015, 11:50 pm
Suspended

Agreed..

Not going to keep this going... but as a 4th generation San Franciscan I've have adopted NYC as my hometown. I LOVE the Hyatt Union Square... and my stays there get better every time!!!^^^

To me NYC is the greatest city in the world, the people, the energy, the culture, diversity and their honest outlook on life... they are NOT FAKE.

Addtioanlly, my stays at the Andaz 5th Avenue have been memorable, staff have been outstanding, warm and accommodating.

This comes from a guest who stays in NYC 2 times a month 3 - 7 nights each stay.

Originally Posted by Kacee
But what we appreciate is that New Yorkers generally let you know exactly where you stand - none of that superficial fake nice stuff that we get here in the bay area
Old May 31, 2015, 11:53 pm
Suspended

The current front office manager has been their since the hotel open... as well as many of the front office staff. Your info is incorrect which is not surprising. I have stayed at this hotel almost every month since the open, I know the staff.

Appreciate the kind words and thoughts
Hyatt Union Square has had some unusually wonderful team members
And I am deeply saddened the former GM and his assistant have moved on
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, southwest A List Preferred, American Platinum
Had my fifth stay at the Andaz 5th Avenue and it was once again delightful. The Diamond Breakfast amenity is one of the best around! Food and service both are exceptional. Didn't get upgraded to a suite like I had the last few visits, but they did put me in a large Andaz room overlooking the Library which is my favorite view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.