Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:19 pm

Stayed here 2 night over July 4th weekend on aaa rate and applied dsu to splash suite. I was in NYC 3 times this summer and stayed here, andaz wall and park hyatt and i would say this was the most disappointing one.

The room had a few things to fix when I arrived, the toilet seat had to be tightened, one tv was not working, and the couch was stained (couldn't fix that). The space was nice though and overall it was ok, just not great compared to the other two stays.

Staff here was the weakest, didn't enforce times on the wine and cheese hour, wasn't really proactive except for one person, and seemed not to know who the guests are. So, yes, a bit confused in general, and I wonder if it had something to do with the holiday weekend since ime the city empties at that time. Not a dealbreaker, but Minibar snacks weren't really anything special, granola and snack mix. Preferred the snacks at andaz wall at least they had chocolate.

Location was great though. And room service food was very good. I guess the hardware was fine, only I found the staff less than welcoming.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by ENFO
Stayed here 2 night over July 4th weekend on aaa rate and applied dsu to splash suite. I was in NYC 3 times this summer and stayed here, andaz wall and park hyatt and i would say this was the most disappointing one.

The room had a few things to fix when I arrived, the toilet seat had to be tightened, one tv was not working, and the couch was stained (couldn't fix that). The space was nice though and overall it was ok, just not great compared to the other two stays.
FYI, there's also a new operations director at this property (started in August) as well as a new GM arriving shortly. If you want to give constructive feedback to management, now is pretty much the ideal time to do it.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by beltway
FYI, there's also a new operations director at this property (started in August) as well as a new GM arriving shortly. If you want to give constructive feedback to management, now is pretty much the ideal time to do it.

I wonder how many times they've been told the Hosts don't want to work or didn't fulfill requests?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platnium,Hyatt Diamond
Hi

I don't know with the change in management, but stayed there memorial day weekend and things were great. I too used my DSU to a splash suite. Room was great as well as the location. Free wine everynight, and breakfast and waitress were top notch. Can't wait to get back.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ENFO

Staff here was the weakest, didn't enforce times on the wine and cheese hour, wasn't really proactive except for one person, and seemed not to know who the guests are. So, yes, a bit confused in general, and I wonder if it had something to do with the holiday weekend since ime the city empties at that time. Not a dealbreaker, but Minibar snacks weren't really anything special, granola and snack mix. Preferred the snacks at andaz wall at least they had chocolate.

Location was great though. And room service food was very good. I guess the hardware was fine, only I found the staff less than welcoming.
What's your objection to staff not enfacing times on wine and cheese hour? Do you want other guests who arrive late to be denied their wine and cheese? If so, why? How would this be beneficial to you? Personally, I would like staff to be a bit lenient about late arriving guests being able to get some wine and cheese since some time it might be me who is late.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 7:55 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by cw082350
Hi

I don't know with the change in management, but stayed there memorial day weekend and things were great. I too used my DSU to a splash suite. Room was great as well as the location. Free wine everynight, and breakfast and waitress were top notch. Can't wait to get back.
This was my experience in May
I was incredibly disappointed to hear about Aventine's recent stay
Like me he is or was a big fan of Andaz where they hit their mark at select properties.
I am not certain if I should return for my next stay in December and considering the possibility of other options.
My instinct is to try it again and see what happens at least for a night or two.
My last stay was exceptional and almost everyone was terrific based by most NYC 4 Star standards

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 12, 2015 at 7:34 pm
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
This was my experience in May
I was incredibly disappointed to hear about Aventine's recent stay
Like me he is or was a big fan of Andaz where they hit their mark at select properties.
I am not certain if I should return for my next stay in December and considering the possibility of other options.
My instinct is to try it again and see what happens at least for a night or two.
My last stay was exceptional and almost everyone was terrific based on most NYC standards
I just want to preface my experience by saying we are absolutely spoilt here in Asia and at Andaz Tokyo. That doesn't excuse the 5th Ave hosts' and nighttime manager's lack of attention and care. Loved the location, the Shop barista and coffees and the small but creative F&B. It is an okay-fine property if you don't require special services such as concierge and package mailing. I only wish others the best of stays ^
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP Gold, UN Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond
Awesome. Staying here for the first time in December with an expired DSU. Glad to find out it's right when it's going downhill. Ugh.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jepiv
Awesome. Staying here for the first time in December with an expired DSU. Glad to find out it's right when it's going downhill. Ugh.
All properties go under a transition when a long time GM leaves and is replaced by someone else. Just go there with an open mind and enjoy yourself!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:50 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by jepiv
I think you may be fine depending on your expectations.
Its certainly better then Andaz Liverpool where the wifi doesn't even work on every stay Ive taken there.
Experiences vary for every traveler at every property

Ms Samara's the former GM departed in Late September/ October
This may have much to do with some of the more recent issues
The new GM needs to finds her footing
Being shes only held the post officially this month lets all give her at least the chance to get the hotel up to speed.
Anyway I'd like to wish a warm welcome to Ms Roady who hails previously from the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa ...

Its very disappointing to lose Ms Samara an exceptional guest friendly GM someone willing to exceed standard expectations and who genuinely
was an excellent Ambassador for Hyatt their guests and team members
One can only hope she will return to Hyatt in the future
I'm going to do 2 nights instead of 3 and roll the dice in December
Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I think you may be fine depending on your expectations.
Its certainly better then Andaz Liverpool where the wifi doesn't even work on every stay Ive taken there.
Experiences vary for every traveler at every property

Ms Samara's the former GM departed in Late September/ October
This may have much to do with some of the more recent issues
The new GM needs to finds her footing
Being shes only held the post officially this month lets all give her at least the chance to get the hotel up to speed.
Anyway I'd like to wish a warm welcome to Ms Roady who hails previously from the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort & Spa ...

Its very disappointing to lose Ms Samara an exceptional guest friendly GM someone willing to exceed standard expectations and who genuinely
was an excellent Ambassador for Hyatt their guests and team members
One can only hope she will return to Hyatt in the future
I'm going to do 2 nights instead of 3 and roll the dice in December
Fingers crossed!
Uncross those fingers and get that passport out!
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
If its the GM from Bonita Springs, then hopefully they can fix the Diamond treatment at that property. Good news for that property.

This may be a bad sign for guests of the Andaz 5th Ave.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
If its the GM from Bonita Springs, then hopefully they can fix the Diamond treatment at that property. Good news for that property.

To reiterate:
Originally Posted by beltway
Roady has been the GM at Hyatt Regency Clearwater Beach for the past year. Before that, for two years she was the GM at Hyatt Market Street, The Woodlands (near Houston).
Old Oct 13, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LASUA1K

What are the Diamond options that are being mistreated by this property? Are they prohibiting 4PM checkout? Or not honoring Diamond breakfast? Not awarding Dia check in amenity? The thing that started all this mistreatment talk was not having someone's frig and snack refilled as expected. This is a very good hotel in a prime location.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
What are the Diamond options that are being mistreated by this property? Are they prohibiting 4PM checkout? Or not honoring Diamond breakfast? Not awarding Dia check in amenity? The thing that started all this mistreatment talk was not having someone's frig and snack refilled as expected. This is a very good hotel in a prime location.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.