Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:21 pm

Second stay here, was upgraded to a very nice Andaz suite on the 10th floor. They said I have a $75 breakfast credit which can be used for room service as well. Breakfast/Brunch is served from 6am - 330pm on Sunday! Love it.

Everything is perfect thus far.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 1:57 pm

So just checked out after enjoying a long leisurely brunch and post brunch work out. The burger is very good and their lemon poppyseed pancakes are a great finish. Probably one of the best diamond breakfasts out there.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:45 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
So just checked out after enjoying a long leisurely brunch and post brunch work out. The burger is very good and their lemon poppyseed pancakes are a great finish. Probably one of the best diamond breakfasts out there.
Agreed!^
Old Feb 3, 2016, 8:04 am
GK8

Programs: Most of 'em
Stayed here over MLK weekend (Sat-Mon). DSU availability opened up on Thursday morning and I used one since we were celebrating an anniversary. Amazing room (1104). The host said it was their Presidential Suite although it wasn't marked in any way. Private deck outside the living room, great views all around, two full bedrooms and baths. I was a little under the weather so our trip was a little subdued but the hotel was great. And the pancakes... I'd drive down there just to have breakfast. Diamond benefits were honored all the way through brunch on the weekends which was a nice touch.

My tiny nit pick would be the way they handle wine hour in the evening. The area was not actively staffed (two hosts in the lobby area that doesn't have a clear view of the wine service area). People were confused about what to do. Some went into the cupboards by themselves and served but when the host came by a little later she asked people to let her know if they wanted something. In that case signage would be appropriate. It's also a little awkward because if they are busy you are hanging around waiting for quite a while for a quick drink before you go out.

Last edited by GK8; Feb 3, 2016 at 11:54 am
Old Feb 3, 2016, 10:21 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Great to hear^
Thanks for the update!
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:51 am
GK8

I uploaded a photosphere of the view to Google maps. You can see it at https://goo.gl/H8WkpK. For those unfamiliar with a photosphere you can click and drag to pan and get a 360 degree view from the deck of 1104.

Last edited by GK8; Feb 3, 2016 at 1:52 pm
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
I am curious about the diamond breakfast here. Is that $75 credit per person? or for the entire room. What if I book a double rm for 4 people?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:50 pm
GK8

@zzrayzz the credit is per room. It should be ample for two, we often had a little bit leftover for snacks. We were also told that gratuities were taken care of when we checked in so you don't have to worry about that.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by GK8
I uploaded a photosphere of the view to Google maps. You can see it at https://goo.gl/H8WkpK
Had the 2 BR suite right above you using a DSU a few years ago...

Unfortunately never had that much luck again on any of my return stays... but still a good memory.

Last edited by schriste; Feb 3, 2016 at 2:05 pm
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:56 am

last night of my six night mattress run and this is my second night at the andaz. Was upgraded to an andaz suite again. This property treats me so well, i wish their rate was within my corporate guidelines all the time!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 12:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
I love this hotel, it's one of the best Hyatt's in the US!

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
last night of my six night mattress run and this is my second night at the andaz. Was upgraded to an andaz suite again. This property treats me so well, i wish their rate was within my corporate guidelines all the time!
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andaz5
I love this hotel, it's one of the best Hyatts in the US!
That was predictable, given your nick here on Flyertalk! Do they still, after all these years, lack blackout curtains?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:50 pm

The hotel has always had blackout curtains, they just weren't initially well done

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
That was predictable, given your nick here on Flyertalk! Do they still, after all these years, lack blackout curtains?
If you read back over prior reviews, you will find the hotel has always had blackout curtains. The problem was they didn't extend the full width of the window and a blackout curtain with an inch on either side really isn't a black out curtain as the light just comes in on either side.

The hotel did install guides on either side that generally do fix this. So, yes there are blackout curtains and generally they do as the name says. We have occasionally had a room where there curtain has come out of the guides and then it doesn't work as well as it should.

If you really want a dark room, check the curtains when you arrive. If the curtain doesn't slide down within the guide/groove, then have someone from maintenance come up and fix it.

First world problems.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Do they still, after all these years, lack blackout curtains?
They have blackout shades. Sorry to disappoint you.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:36 pm

Flyertalk does't benefit anything from such hostile replies

Originally Posted by Kacee
They have blackout shades. Sorry to disappoint you.
The blackouts were there.

Their design somewhat failed.

A hotelwide fix was implemented.

They now generally do work.

Stop the crazy attacks and nonsense.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.