Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:03 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Just got back from a 4 night stay here.

Pros:
Nice design
Food is good
Location is good
Got upgraded from standard king room to loft king, which is a big room for NYC standards, two tvs, two vanities
The bar is really cool with good drinks

Cons:
Bathroom lighting is terrible
Shower needs a door so it's not freezing and water doesn't spill out everywhere
The "hosts" were clueless when I handed them a Platinum Extras certificate
Service at breakfast was terrible
Did not refill toilet paper during the stay
Only did turndown once, and I had to call and ask for it, and all I could tell that it was was folding the duvet back. No chocolates, no new towels, nothing.

Would stay there again, despite these issues.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 6:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Andaz Splash Suite, a short video is featured here:

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...daz_5th_Avenue

Fingers crossed that my e-Upgrade clears over Eastern...
Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SMK77
Andaz Splash Suite, a short video is featured here:

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...daz_5th_Avenue

Fingers crossed that my e-Upgrade clears over Eastern...
Thanks for posting. Have a splash suite reserved as we pass through NYC on our honeymoon soon.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:36 am
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by hamajicky
Just got back from a 4 night stay here.

Pros:
Nice design
Food is good
Location is good
Got upgraded from standard king room to loft king, which is a big room for NYC standards, two tvs, two vanities
The bar is really cool with good drinks

Cons:
Bathroom lighting is terrible
Shower needs a door so it's not freezing and water doesn't spill out everywhere
The "hosts" were clueless when I handed them a Platinum Extras certificate
Service at breakfast was terrible
Did not refill toilet paper during the stay
Only did turndown once, and I had to call and ask for it, and all I could tell that it was was folding the duvet back. No chocolates, no new towels, nothing.

Would stay there again, despite these issues.
one other thing--the toilet area needs a door so you can take a slam in private and the other person can use the bathroom as well. no point in having a separate area for the toilet if you don't put a door on it.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:24 pm
Company Representative - Andaz 5th Avenue

Diamond GP suite upgrades

Dear FT friends,

I am pleased to confirm that effective immediately, all Diamond GP suite upgrade certificates will be valid for an Andaz Suite upgrade only and not a choice of a Large Loft OR an Andaz Suite. This is due to your honest feedback about this topic. We hope that this simplifies and improves this great benefit.

We all look forward to welcoming you soon.

Warmest regards,

Jonathan
Old Apr 15, 2011, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Jonathan -

Welcome back! Hope all is well at Andaz 5th Avenue.

Now all we need from you is to get the THRILL rate to credit points/stays and you will have 11 stays / 32 nights from me over the next 4 months. Otherwise sadly will be canceling them all and slumming it at the W. Already canceled the first one, leaving the others out there just in case someone sees sense.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 2:10 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by GM at Andaz 5th Avenue
Dear FT friends,

I am pleased to confirm that effective immediately, all Diamond GP suite upgrade certificates will be valid for an Andaz Suite upgrade only and not a choice of a Large Loft OR an Andaz Suite. This is due to your honest feedback about this topic. We hope that this simplifies and improves this great benefit.

We all look forward to welcoming you soon.

Warmest regards,

Jonathan
FTers--good luck with this. If the hosts are 1) at their station, and 2) know what to do when you mention anything in the way of an upgrade or an amenity, I will be amazed.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 5:38 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
FTers--good luck with this. If the hosts are 1) at their station, and 2) know what to do when you mention anything in the way of an upgrade or an amenity, I will be amazed.
Presumably, this new policy only applies when using suite upgrade certificates so the suite type should be confirmed in advance and your reservation should reflect the new room type. Luckily the hosts shouldn't have anything to do with it. The amenity however would be another story.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 6:41 pm

The Mommy review of the Andaz Fifth Avenue

I posted upthread asking whether or not we could fit a pack-and-play in the shower area of a large king room at the Andaz. Here is the answer:

I had assumed that we would have a pack-and-play provided as a crib, because that is what we've had at 3 other Hyatt and Hyatt Place hotels. Instead, they provided us with a mini crib, which did indeed fit in the shower. Much to my delight, it even came complete with baby toiletries. Much to my chagrin, they did not have mini-crib sized sheets, so a full size bed sheet was bunched up under the mattress and caused it to be elevated at one end. There were also bumpers on the crib that were sized for a full sized crib and were too big and baggy - they were easy enough to untie and remove. Putting the crib in the bathroom worked really well - and the shower was separated enough from the toilet that we were able to sneak in and do our business without waking him.

DS was not mobile at the time of our trip, but if he had been I would have been on edge whenever he was up and about. There is glass everywhere in the room - lots of sharp corners for a little guy to get hurt on. Because there is only a shower, it was hard to give him a bath. I hadn't planned on needing to bathe him, but we had a little incident with a jar of peaches and oatmeal... We used the sink and it worked in a pinch, but wasn't ideal. I contemplated using the footbath, but the sink seemed easier.

In the restaurant, plain high chairs just wouldn't match the decor, so they have these Minui Handysitt portable highchairs: http://www.minuihandysitt.com/products/handysitt
My little guy was just barely steady enough to sit in it. A baby who is not mostly sitting independently couldn't manage it, so plan accordingly if you need a high chair and your baby isn't sitting. The first seat we were given had a missing seat belt, but I found another that worked.

Overall, we had a really nice weekend and it was a successful first trip to the city with a baby. DS even ate a bite of pastrami at Katz's deli. The hotel was a great resting place in-between our adventures.

I also wanted to thank speedytimmy who mentioned the parking on 38th street with a coupon for $30. DH didn't believe it would work, but it did. We managed to get the car out on Sunday right before the 24 hours were up and then parked on the street near the Natural History museum during the rest of our adventures.

Last edited by candaceg; Apr 17, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT

I've stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave 6+ times since it opened last year, and I have never encountered the lobby/check-in station w/no hosts. I have always gotten an upgrade (and some pretty good ones at that) and have always been asked for my diamond amenity preference at check-in. I have once (or perhaps twice?) needed to call the Diamond desk to get those points applied - but IMO - that issue is by not means unique to this property.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:50 am
Used to be hamajicky

Originally Posted by bdemaria

I've stayed at the Andaz 5th Ave 6+ times since it opened last year, and I have never encountered the lobby/check-in station w/no hosts. I have always gotten an upgrade (and some pretty good ones at that) and have always been asked for my diamond amenity preference at check-in. I have once (or perhaps twice?) needed to call the Diamond desk to get those points applied - but IMO - that issue is by not means unique to this property.
I've only stayed there once, but at least twice, the host station had no one there. Once someone did appear, I showed them my lowly Plat amenity certificate. They said all I could were points if I had lunch or dinner at the restaurant--something I knew was wrong. So to get my lowly Plat amenity, I called the number on the certificate. They asked who I talked to, and I wish I knew but none of the hosts wear nametags!

I like the hotel, it's very chic, but I think the host station thing was "overthunk".
Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
I've only stayed there once, but at least twice, the host station had no one there. Once someone did appear, I showed them my lowly Plat amenity certificate. They said all I could were points if I had lunch or dinner at the restaurant--something I knew was wrong. So to get my lowly Plat amenity, I called the number on the certificate. They asked who I talked to, and I wish I knew but none of the hosts wear nametags!

I like the hotel, it's very chic, but I think the host station thing was "overthunk".
Don't entirely disagree on the host station. At Wall Street, I find the hosts are sometimes wandering and not standing at the desk. Standing near the entry door or over by the lounge chatting with guests. It is a nice touch, but I've never been through when no one was present.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Fairmont PC Plat
Stayed here again this past weekend. Check in was efficient, was recognized as a Diamond member (I opted for the points, as usual), and the host offered to take me up to my room (I politely declined). Used a Suite Upgrade certificate, and was booked into an Andaz Suite. Decent layout, though I definitely prefer the Splash Suite that unfortunately is no longer an option. Suite has a separate living room/bedroom, with a kitchen nook that includes a Nespresso machine, dishwasher, and bar sink. The best part about the suite was the open layout and view facing West towards the NYPL/Bryant Park/Times Square.

I noticed that they have downgraded the minibar offerings somewhat. No more Jacques Torres chocolate, only one bottle of Fizzy Lizzy in the fridge (previously there were two), only one bottle of Saratoga sparkling (previously there were two), and the still water is now Saratoga in plastic bottles (previously was Fred, artesian still water in nice “flasks” that could be more easily and stylishly carried around). Around 2am, I requested an extra bottle of the excellent Organic Black Tea they stock in the minibar, and was promptly sent 2 free of charge.

I was a little disappointed with the checkout process. I called down at 6am to request a late checkout, as the "official" hotel checkout time is early at 11am. I was denied, as they indicated full capacity for the day, so no one was being granted late checkouts. This is an area I really wish Hyatt would follow SPG’s lead in guaranteeing late checkouts for top-tiers. Breakfast at The Shop was wonderful as usual, all charges were removed without my prompting. Checkout was a little rushed, most likely due to those attempting to check-in earlier than expected. Had to ask whether they still do departure amenities, but was proactively offered two.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by doodley
the "official" hotel checkout time is early at 11am. I was denied
Thanks for sharing that.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 7:32 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by GM at Andaz 5th Avenue
Is it possible to get a suite with two beds at this property through the use of a Diamond suite upgrade certificate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.