FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andaz Fifth Avenue (NY) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Jun 25, 2021, 7:28 pm
Tonyr4

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Breakfast from my understanding is the highest profit margin meal yet hotels want to overly monetize it even to elites
now who create the lion’s share of profits to the chain
who had in some cases a more reasonable promise historically to the guest.Be interested to hear what Gary Leff thinks about these changes
Granted some have expense accounts.During the financial blood bath during Covid hotels and airlines are now looking to cut
just about every cost they can attack from breakfast costs to housekeeping and energy costs
I get to their defense it’s a long road back but I also believe they haven’t gotten creative with it as opposed to just cutting back customer expectations
The end results in some hotels you wake up in the middle of the night sweating form their cutting back the energy/ thermostat
and little to no housekeeping and closed or limited dining/restaurants.Many jobs will not be coming back sadly.
Hotel companies seem to believe they can turn almost every property into limited service properties
As I continue to experience some disappointing stay experiences in properties in & out of Hyatt hotels
Have less desire to resume my personal volume of business anytime soon.I see my hotel night volume of nights going forward to a tenth of what they once were for today

Just the thought of airline rewards and hotel night awards being static now any amount the corporation feels like charging
and the upcoming seasonal awards @ WOH soon to be rolling out after delays etc
All of that will keep me away plenty as well as reduced breakfast benefits and quality standards.
I’ve lost my passion for traveling when there isn't a joyous hospitable experience and a great breakfast to wake up to.
Happy to stay home where I have beautiful views and a luxury kitchen I can create a great experience I wish for the most part.

In particular Andaz 5th Ave the breakfast was 60% of my reason to stay there in the past despite liking the property reasonably.
However it isn’t a soundproof 5 star property just a nice lifestyle property
The reality is I can buy a room anywhere happily for a fraction of their 25k /400 dollar ADR plus taxes etc
Last I stayed @ Andaz 5th just over a year ago they told me no more Splash suite upgrades
(though they originally confirmed such they tried to renege on their promise ☹
I booked a brand new Sheraton in Midtown next month for 94 dollars and The Bernic (also looks new) @ 129 per night on the East side
(which appears to have very high ratings in the reviews)
The InterCon Times Square and the remaining nights @ Park Hyatt of course much higher then all of them
When I go luxury I expect to pay a premium and get a premium experience but there are great hotels 3 and 4 star for a lot less
and I prefer to pay the premium when they can deliver on all or most fronts
I know that your disappointed with a full hot breakfast disappearing across the hotel industry but there is nothing we can say that will change that fact at this point. Grab and go's and lower meal credits for the most part are here to stay, it is what it is. Things change and the pandemic was a good excuse for the hotel industry to cut costs moving forward, although it doesn’t mean that being a Globalist doesn't still offer a ton of value. It's just not as good as it was......c'est la vie.

Last edited by Tonyr4; Jun 25, 2021 at 7:39 pm