Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 2:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm very happy for you! I saw that HK is moving to a new leader shortly; I have no idea if he will make moves to open up more but I live in hope, I guess. Haven't been since fall 2019 and I would so dearly love to return.
I also have not been since October of 2019. I have been traveling to HK since around 1985 or 86. It was my favorite city in the world. I miss it.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JNelson113
I'm very happy for you! I saw that HK is moving to a new leader shortly; I have no idea if he will make moves to open up more but I live in hope, I guess. Haven't been since fall 2019 and I would so dearly love to return.
The leader of HK lives in Beijing. Based on what’s going on in Shanghai I wouldn’t expect much more opening anytime soon.

The current relaxation is still miles behind where they should be now. I wish they would follow the Singapore model but this just won’t happen.
Old May 14, 2022, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
The leader of HK lives in Beijing. Based on what’s going on in Shanghai I wouldn’t expect much more opening anytime soon.

The current relaxation is still miles behind where they should be now. I wish they would follow the Singapore model but this just won’t happen.
I agree. I just hope for better times.
Old May 15, 2022, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by MW147
I also have not been since October of 2019. I have been traveling to HK since around 1985 or 86. It was my favorite city in the world. I miss it.
Very different place. We live here and we miss it.
MW147 likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
Very different place. We live here and we miss it.
Not to throw salt on the wound, but it could be worse... Friends of mine in Shanghai have been quarantined to their apartment block for 60 days now. Absolutely insane.
Old May 16, 2022, 10:30 am
Original Poster

First flight suspension under the new rule: Qatar from Doha for five days beginning today, May 17.
Old May 17, 2022, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Pickles
Not to throw salt on the wound, but it could be worse... Friends of mine in Shanghai have been quarantined to their apartment block for 60 days now. Absolutely insane.
It's not the pandemic...
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 2:54 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
A word of caution for foreigners/tourists going to HK : keep your paperwork even after leaving HK.

I went to HK in May. End of June, an official prosecution letter for failing to comply with the compulsory day 12 test was sent to the friend that hosted me after quarantine's place.
For sure it was an IT glitch on their side since I did take the test. But what a stress it was for everyone involved.

Luckily I had kept screenshot of the test SMS result, which was enough to close the case after a quick email to DH "prosecution office" (sic).

Long story short: keep all your paperwork even after leaving HK. You never know when those orders can come back to bite you in the ***.
You’d think they could have used email or phone to contact me instead of sending a prosecution letter to a temporary address… I’m certainly glad I got lucky to know the snafu happened, and that I didn’t learn about it while passing immigration next time in HK...
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:09 am
Original Poster

That's a real worry. Particularly because the ONLY proof you have is a short SMS that says "Registration completed."

And no reason they should have contacted you beforehand. Instead, they should have thoroughly checked their records before starting a criminal prosecution.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by 889
That's a real worry. Particularly because the ONLY proof you have is a short SMS that says "Registration completed."
Yes.
And luckily, because I was a bit rusty on my China travels after a 2-year hiatus, I forgot to bring along a "burner" phone, so I had to use my main phone for all quarantine-related questions.

On a normal trip, I could have easily cleaned up the second phone on arrival and lost all proof that the test ever happened.

Originally Posted by 889
And no reason they should have contacted you beforehand. Instead, they should have thoroughly checked their records before starting a criminal prosecution.
Well, mishap can happen... but the fact that they only use snail mail opens the door to a whole other level of escalation.
I highly doubt that hotels would take the time to open (let alone forward) mail sent to a guest that left 1 month before. It means that tourists who stayed at hotels for their whole trip wouldn't even know they were being prosecuted in this situation.

Last edited by maalloc; Jul 4, 2022 at 3:28 am
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:24 am
Original Poster

I seem to recall that that initial online registration required the residential address where you'd be staying after quarantine, and it was programmed to fill in residential addresses from some database. I wondered whether it would even accept a hotel address.

In any event, you're far more forgiving of bureaucratic errors than I. You don't make mistakes when you prosecute people.
maalloc likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by 889
In any event, you're far more forgiving of bureaucratic errors than I. You don't make mistakes when you prosecute people.
I live in France and had my fair share of bureaucratic madness and unwarranted prosecutions, that could be why
Old Jul 7, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Circuit breaker is suspended

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2022/07/07/...-19-rules.html
JNelson113 and maalloc like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:13 am

Third runway of HKIA inaugurated.

Traffic is about to skyrocket!

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...dFu-udkzkdsPnE
Old Jul 8, 2022, 6:34 am
Original Poster

From HKFP today, Friday, July 8:

"Hong Kong’s Secretary for Health Lo Chung-mau said halting quarantine was 'an unreasonable expectation' for the time being: 'Some people hope for quarantine-free travel, which is to open-up completely. I am sorry, I believe not a single government would make such a promise [to reopen] at the moment, or set such a target.' Lo said."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.