HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Yes, please! Or even just test before boarding and then once you're on board all testing is over. I'd be fine with that.
I'd suspect that most potential HK tourist would be fine with all the protocols, except for that post arrival potential positive test "sword of Damocles" hanging over one's head. At least thus far, it appears that both Japan and Singapore have been able to remove that risk--so not as if it's some novel untested idea.
JNelson113 and kirkwoodj like this.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by percysmith
Originally Posted by maerim
and is it mandatory to stay in hotel/residence before the result is obtained? If so is it strictly enforced by hotel?
Mandatory - no. Only becomes mandatory if your result comes back positive.
That's not the way that I read the website:
Undergo “test-and-go” nucleic acid test on the day of arrival at HK, apart from the journey from the airport direct to the place of residence, receipt of the “test-and-go” nucleic acid test result required before leaving the place of residence
and
Under the “test-and-go" arrangement, relevant inbound persons are not required to wait for the test result at the airport. After specimen collection, they can proceed with immigration and customs clearance, claim their baggage and leave the airport. They can take public transport or self-arranged transport to return to their home or their hotel of choice. Apart from the journey from the airport direct to the place of residence, relevant inbound persons are required to confirm receipt of the result from the “test-and-go” nucleic acid test before leaving the place of residence.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 6:16 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by Globaliser
That's not the way that I read the website:and
The Government can write it, but how can they enforce it? Say, I chose to head back to office after morning flight (and none of my colleagues give me an evil eye, or I outright lie and say I arrived last night), and then head home on +ve result?

c.f. isolation orders not complied with or discharged.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 9:06 pm

The Government can write it, but how can they enforce it? Say, I chose to head back to office after morning flight (and none of my colleagues give me an evil eye, or I outright lie and say I arrived last night), and then head home on +ve result?

c.f. isolation orders not complied with or discharged.
The order you are given at the airport stipulates that you must go directly to your place of residence, no detours are allowed.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The Government can write it, but how can they enforce it?
As I read maerim's post, they were asking what the rules are, not whether one can break them with impunity.
Old Dec 22, 2022, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

I do not know if it is accurate, but there's a news report in Chinese today that the Immigration Department is recalling border staff to their posts next week, perhaps to prepare for a re-opening in early January.

https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...86%9F%E7%BF%92
maalloc likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by 889
I do not know if it is accurate, but there's a news report in Chinese today that the Immigration Department is recalling border staff to their posts next week, perhaps to prepare for a re-opening in early January.

https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9C...86%9F%E7%BF%92
When even Global Times spreads the same rumours... it's almost from the horse's mouth:
https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202212/1282400.shtml
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:43 am
Original Poster

But I haven't seen anything in the reports yet indicating whether a re-opening will or will not be limited to HRP holders.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by 889
But I haven't seen anything in the reports yet indicating whether a re-opening will or will not be limited to HRP holders.
My reading of the current leaks is that re-opening will be targeted at HK PRs... But of course it could be limited to HRP holders. It's all speculation at this point and I wouldn't even bet that the powers that be have settled on the next set of rules yet.

My wild dream is that it will be HK PRs for a few weeks, then quickly open to foreigners too.
Given how severe the current wave is in mainland, the dust can settle very quickly after January/Februrary so there's hope on this front.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
My reading of the current leaks is that re-opening will be targeted at HK PRs... But of course it could be limited to HRP holders. It's all speculation at this point and I wouldn't even bet that the powers that be have settled on the next set of rules yet.

My wild dream is that it will be HK PRs for a few weeks, then quickly open to foreigners too.
Given how severe the current wave is in mainland, the dust can settle very quickly after January/Februrary so there's hope on this front.
The border is already open to foreigners with visas. It's only the quarantine that remains to be lifted. There is no way for them to go back and stop foreigners from coming in in order to lift quarantine for only HK residents.
Old Dec 24, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Sorry if it has already been addressed but I find it quite hard to navigate between all those rules.

Am I find staying overnight in Hong Kong between 2 flights ? Like arriving on day in the afternoon, having a diner, little walk, staying at a hotel and departing to a third country the next day ?

I'm fully vaccinated.

Thanks
Old Dec 24, 2022, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

You have to be properly vaccinated first, then take a self-administered RAT test no more than 24 hours before departure of your flight to Hong Kong and register and get a QR code on the Government's website. You'll get a free PCR test on arrival.and can leave the airport. However, if your PCR test is positive -- and about 5 percent are -- you'll have to quarantine in HK for at least 5 days. PCR results come back in just a few hours.
IstKong likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 12:41 am

In the current endless rules change, has anyone seen any mention of re-instatement of the SZ Visa on arrival from HK?

I don't want to rush to apply for a new multi-entry visa before dust settles, but it sure would be great to be able to go to SZ in the meantime.
Old Dec 28, 2022, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
HK dropping all restrictions except a test before departure: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage
Old Dec 28, 2022, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by JNelson113
HK dropping all restrictions except a test before departure: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...gtype=homepage
God save our noses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.