Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:41 am
Original Poster

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

According to the latest quarantine relaxation announcement, vaccinated non-residents from the US and most other countries will soon be able to enter Hong Kong, perhaps by some time in July.

They'll of course be subject to all the same testing and quarantine requirements that apply to vaccinated HK residents.

Nonetheless, it's quite a surprising development. I didn't think HK would be re-opening to non-residents until next year.

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...1062100692.htm
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:50 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
That is definitely surprising and, if implemented, a complete U-turn on current harsh restrictions.

Because of the epic failure of S'pore travel bubble(s), I don't hold my breath... But that's definitely a good sign. At least the genie is now out of the bottle.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 7:10 am

"a shortened compulsory quarantine period of seven days at designated quarantine hotels ... they have to undergo two nucleic acid tests during the quarantine period, followed by a seven-day self-monitoring period as well as compulsory testing on the 12th, 16th and 19th days of arrival at Hong Kong."

And if you fail the antibody test, taken during the "test-and-hold" phase, then you're carted off to a govt hotel for 14 days.

I don't see it attracting too many people.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 11:49 am
Original Poster

I believe you have to book your quarantine hotel for 14 days but can leave after 7 if your antibody test is good.

I suspect there's a lot of people with strong personal or business ties to HK who've been chomping at the bit for over a year to get back in, so I think there'll be substantial non-resident entries once and if this takes effect.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 12:02 pm

Naturally, I don't understand or have the pulse of HK as well as Hong Kongers, but this isn't surprising to me. While it's been some time that I've worked and lived in HK, the city didn't become, in my view, the single greatest compelling argument for capitalism during my lifetime by being stupid or naive. At this point, many Americans have received a double dose of either the Pfizer/Moderna, which, according to most recent data, has an 88% efficacy vs the new Delta variant.

Unless there's a sudden reversal, I suspect HK while being data dependent, will have their eye on what made them great in the first place--the financial center and gateway to China and SE Asia. Far as I'm concerned, I'll continue to bet on that trend continuing. And, on a personal note, just let me in to see my goddaughter! While I'm *not* thrilled with the 7 days, I'll deal with it, and hope I can at least choose my hotel.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Visconti
While it's been some time that I've worked and lived in HK, the city didn't become, in my view, the single greatest compelling argument for capitalism during my lifetime by being stupid or naive.
Unfortunately, the people who made Hong Kong and those who currently run it aren't the same.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by 889
Nonetheless, it's quite a surprising development. I didn't think HK would be re-opening to non-residents until next year.
Not a surprise really.

1. Designated quarantine hotel are full with booking. It is a move to empty those hotels.

2. Hong Kong needs tourism money, especially for CX (as CX does not have a domestic market).
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2021, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

For over a year, the Government has shown no particular concern over Cathay and tourism. That's why this is a big surprise.

Honestly, did anyone expect this coming now?
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
The fine print
Old Jun 22, 2021, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

The fine print is absurd, but it is the same absurd fine print that applies to vaccinated HK people returning from most countries overseas.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
The fine print is absurd, but it is the same absurd fine print that applies to vaccinated HK people returning from most countries overseas.
But it does remove the risk of fake vaccine records!
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:06 pm
Original Poster

The antibody test does that. It's all the covid tests that seem overkill.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 1:39 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So vaccinated Americans can enter but have to quarantine for 14 days, which could be shortened to 7 days?

What a privilege!
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:13 am
Original Poster

If the antibody test is positive -- showing you have in fact been vaccinated or had Covid -- your hotel quarantine should end after 7 days. Not great but nonetheless a great advance for nonresidents with strong personal or business ties to HK.

Note there's a comment in today's SCMP claiming an American was forced to 21-day quarantine because his vaccination card didn't show his full name matching his passport. If true, this is a real concern since American medical records usually don't show full middle name.
Old Jun 28, 2021, 7:01 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Even 7 days at HK hotel prices is a huge burden, to stay an additional week after that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.