Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by Davvidd
I just went to HK last week. Yes I did the antigen tests and videoing it and the pics of the test results etc. No one even asked for it. Not even the airline no anyone else ate HK. I filled the online thing but there was no uploading of the test etc. Just that it was negative. Thats all.
Which airline?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Coming to HK. What apps needed for restaurant, hotel visits?

Coming to HK after 4 years.

What do I need to download onto my phone? For HK arrivals?

And for hotels or restaurants?
Old Feb 13, 2023, 11:26 pm

Programs: Marco Polo
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Coming to HK after 4 years.

What do I need to download onto my phone? For HK arrivals?

And for hotels or restaurants?

None
percysmith likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:27 am

You may find it different but I did not get the vibe of the old HK. Rush hour trains were not packed, ladies market was half empty and started closing up early in the evening. Can walk peacefully on Nathan Road, Shanghai Street area without bumping into anyone.
Well, I suppose I could enjoy the relative calm, since I can't ever recall a time when HK wasn't busy. However, I won't miss those Nathan Road guys who for whatever reason keep trying to entice me to tailor new suits.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:31 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by kiokujai
Which airline?

I flew from MNL and on Cebu Pacific. Their website says to do all these tests etc but no one asked me anything.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:47 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by Visconti
I won't miss those Nathan Road guys who for whatever reason keep trying to entice me to tailor new suits.
That's because you need a new suit to go with the new "Rollex" they can sell you, too.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:54 am

Well, I suppose I could enjoy the relative calm, since I can't ever recall a time when HK wasn't busy. However, I won't miss those Nathan Road guys who for whatever reason keep trying to entice me to tailor new suits.
Even the Ladies market was unusually quiet and no one seems to be pushing to sell anything aggressively as before. Also the vendors were packing up early and it was not full of vendors as it was pre pandemic. I actually missed the hustle and bustle that was there before.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
That's because you need a new suit to go with the new "Rollex" they can sell you, too.
They were there trying to sell the watches.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
They were there trying to sell the watches.
Under the pretense of suits as a cover? Not that I'd ever condone this, but if one wanted an excellent "replica," could just cross over into Schen Zhen and pick up one directly from one of the manufacturers. If I recall, for about 150 USD, you can get one with, if I recall, an actual ETA mechanical movement, unlike the really cheap stuff they were trying to pawn off at the Ladies market.

Of course, I'll stop by the market, since I'm fond of just strolling around Kowloon and eventually end up near there anyway. Once in a while, you could find a street vendor or one of those local eateries with a particularly very good and very fatty piece of BBQ pork. If I recall, there was also a pretty good Won Ton noodle place around there too.
Davvidd likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:34 am

I am getting the urge to go there again end of this month.
Visconti and royng like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:48 am

I am getting the urge to go there again end of this month.
While only speaking for myself, I'm thinking that I should enjoy HK for as much and as long as I can before the HK I remember will no longer exist. I understand some may argue even now HK has irrevocably changed, but, at least for now, I could still distort reality for a while longer while visiting.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
If I recall, there was also a pretty good Won Ton noodle place around there too.
I'd think there are a fair number of pretty good won ton noodle places around there.

As for the suits, they are trying to sell you a suit. But you'll very likely get what you pay for. There is another thread here in FT talking about having suits made in HK. Very lively discussion, with tons of differing opinions. Personally, I'd go high-end, some of the stuff that can be made fits perfectly and lasts decades (and I have the shirts and suits to prove it, and even the physique to still fit in them!)
Old Feb 14, 2023, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was never asked for a test result when checking in on my CX SIN-HKG flight last week and also never asked for any result when departing two days later to the Mainland via West Kowloon station.

In both cases I had the test results, just never was brought up.

Mask wearing is still a huge thing, more strict than the Mainland for sure, which makes touristing around not as pleasant as it could be. I imagine this will change soon.

All in all, last weekend was my first time back since early 2020 and aside from masks it seemed pretty much the same HK we all know and love.
kevino likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 8:17 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I was never asked for a test result when checking in on my CX SIN-HKG flight last week and also never asked for any result when departing two days later to the Mainland via West Kowloon station.

In both cases I had the test results, just never was brought up.

Mask wearing is still a huge thing, more strict than the Mainland for sure, which makes touristing around not as pleasant as it could be. I imagine this will change soon.

All in all, last weekend was my first time back since early 2020 and aside from masks it seemed pretty much the same HK we all know and love.
Are masks required even outdoors?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by boybi
Are masks required even outdoors?
Mostly yes. People wear them anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.