Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by tentseller
Hypothetical reply to the hypothetical question:

Legally, until the plane takes off, you can be deplaned and detained. This has happened to people with outstanding legal proceedings against them that include "must stay in HK".

The exit immigration system will not let one depart with an outstanding isolation order issued.
IMHO if you are out of exit immigration, I doubt that they will come looking for you at the departure restricted area, BUT HK has not been tolerant of repeat offenders.
My feelings also. Local law incl Cap 599 applies until doors close.
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:27 am

Still no access to Wing Flounge for transit:

1. Backflow barrier between gates 20 and 21 not removed.
Non-China transit pax use transit points >21 and board their planes in rest of world area gates >21

If you’re contemplating entering HK, declaring a false nominal address and then leaving for Gate 1:

2. HK is still continuing testing regimen as mentioned by maalloc upthread, so a Medical Surveillance order will still be issued against you.

3. Only in the medical surveillance order will you find your visitor vaccine pass. This took me 19:41 to access when I landed 18:24 on 29 Nov

4. Wing needs vaccine pass to access, just like any other HK dining establishment. Foreign certificates and credentials cannot be accepted directly (if visitor, you need to upload your credential in the pre-arrival Health Declaration Form ).

4.a. Today’s changes simply mean you do not have to install Leavehomesafe app to scan restaurant’s code, not have a two day ban on visiting restaurants and bars - you are blue code on day 0.

5. Not to mention you will be subject to Hong Kong law incl Cap 599 until doors close, so if you’re found to be positive, you’re obliged to notify crew, walk off the plane and proceed to your declared place of residence to quarantine.

Alawyer likes this.

Last edited by percysmith; Dec 13, 2022 at 5:46 am
Old Dec 13, 2022, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Positive cases have to quarantine for a minimum five days, till they get neg rat results on two consecutive days. I gather at the moment with 10,000-plus new cases/day, that usually means home or hotel for mild or asymptomatic cases. Note it's said some hotels charge a hefty disinfection fee.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
I just read an article stating that it is much easier to visit HKG now. A rapid test required 24 hours before departure, PCR test on day 2, rapid antigens after that for five days. Do not have to avoid restaurants any more, but masks required everywhere, inside and out. Sounds like progress but maybe still not the right time to go.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/hon...urists-6891182
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by JNelson113
I just read an article stating that it is much easier to visit HKG now. A rapid test required 24 hours before departure, PCR test on day 2, rapid antigens after that for five days. Do not have to avoid restaurants any more, but masks required everywhere, inside and out. Sounds like progress but maybe still not the right time to go.
Correction about the tests:
1 RAT within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time of your final flight to HKG.
2 PCR test upon deplaning, before anything.
3 Five consecutive days of DIY RAT tests at your expense.
4 PCR test on day 2, free at community testing centres.
JNelson113 and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:58 pm

1 RAT within 24 hours of the scheduled departure time of your final flight to HKG.
Yes, thank you, I missed the PCR upon arrival.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 11:16 pm

Yes, thank you, I missed the PCR upon arrival.
I still find the prospect of travelling with the possibility of being mandatorily stranded daunting. I'm not recommending any non-essential travel to HK to overseas family members for the time being.
kevincrumbs, kirkwoodj and gudugan like this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 2:50 am

Easier to visit, equally easy to get "disappeared."

When the second half of that sentence itself is eliminated, I've got a bag full of oddly-shaped two dollar coins waiting to be displaced.
kirkwoodj likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: Free agent!
Unless you have a real need to go to HK, I would continue to wait it out until the threat of being quarantined has passed. It does seem like the recent changes in the Mainland are changing things fairly quickly in HK. Might as well wait until the restrictions are pretty much fully lifted.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:12 am

I think we're getting close to where general tourism may be a viable.

According to reports, Tang Xiao Ping, director of the No 8 People's Hospital in Guang Zhou & head of the national key clinical department of infectious diseases was quoted, "The virulence of the new coronavirus has now evolved to the level of the seasonal flu, and some are even less virulent than the flu, so you really don't need to panic." Now, statements like this have been coming out of the PRC for a couple of weeks now, but I take this one a little more seriously because Beijing hasn't disappeared anyone for positing something that even two-years ago, anyone uttering in the United States would have been de-facto "disappeared."

Combined with some...er...recent public grumblings with economic numbers going in the wrong direction, the PRC probably realizes it's time to shift while trying to save some face. While I can appreciate most of the FT world are derisive of speculation, I've always found it a useful endeavor--I mean, how can one plan for the future without some form of reading the tea leaves. So, I'm speculating based on what I see that HK will likely loosen up considerably by March or April? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but these days when Beijing says jump, HK will ask, "how high?"

For leisure travel, I'd probably book refundable flights & lodgings for March/April.
JNelson113 and mcdullhk88 like this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:45 pm

Programs: Thai Airways
How long does it take to obtain the result of the PCR test upon deplaning and is it mandatory to stay in hotel/residence before the result is obtained? If so is it strictly enforced by hotel?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by maerim
How long does it take to obtain the result of the PCR test upon deplaning
6pm test 1am result

Originally Posted by maerim
and is it mandatory to stay in hotel/residence before the result is obtained? If so is it strictly enforced by hotel?
Mandatory - no. Only becomes mandatory if your result comes back positive.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Visconti
So, I'm speculating based on what I see that HK will likely loosen up considerably by March or April? Not that there's anything wrong with it, but these days when Beijing says jump, HK will ask, "how high?"

For leisure travel, I'd probably book refundable flights & lodgings for March/April.
Cancel testing, and we’d tell people to start coming back.
mcdullhk88 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
Cancel testing, and we’d tell people to start coming back.
Perhaps, it could be a combination of wishful thinking and confirmation bias, but I've always felt that the markets (the stock one, not something like the Ladies') are the best predictor of future events. Last week, I've noticed a divergence where the US markets sold off while the Chinese stocks rallied, and even avoided any kind of sell-off before the weekend. Of course, it could be nothing--could be all short covering, for all I know--but taken into the totality of information from what we're seeing from Beijing, I'd bet this is a policy reversal.

HK has impressed upon us not to beg against China? Well, as you've said, drop the testing protocol, case counting obsession (PRC has the power, just don't even track it), and just let it rip--put $$ where mouth is. So, in my very imperfect estimation, as an eternal optimist, I think HK will be fully open by March/April.

Disclosure - The above is pure speculation and just some random off the cuff thoughts.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
So, in my very imperfect estimation, as an eternal optimist, I think HK will be fully open by March/April.
Yes, please! Or even just test before boarding and then once you're on board all testing is over. I'd be fine with that.
Visconti likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.