Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Visconti
Hear hear! A while ago, I booked a couple of flights from the EU to the US with long layovers in HKG, hoping that 1) I can enter the city and at least have dinner, or 2) reschedule the HKG to US portion for an extended stay.

Knock on wood, but the leading indicators are looking favorable!

PS - Christmas is the perfect time for HK especially the weather, in my view.
Yes, and I love the Christmas decorations and the light displays on the buildings. I think that I've been in HK almost every month and love them all. Even in the summer, the heat just warms up the swimming pools.
mcdullhk88 and Visconti like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by JNelson113
Yes, and I love the Christmas decorations and the light displays on the buildings. I think that I've been in HK almost every month and love them all. Even in the summer, the heat just warms up the swimming pools.
Yeah, it's fabulous. Not that I'm as worldly and well traveled as many here, but, for my money, the HK skyline especially during the evenings is my favorite and the most impressive in the world. I'll never get sick of walking on the harbor looking over to the skyline in Central--it awed me the first time and still does even after all these years.

I think this time, after almost 3 years, we can finally have some cautious optimism. I know we've been disappointed, but, IMHO, it's preferable to be optimistic and be disappointed as opposed to being a pessimistic all the time hoping for the occasional "upside" surprise.

This time, I think it'll work out.
JNelson113 and mcdullhk88 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:51 pm

Yeah, it's fabulous. Not that I'm as worldly and well traveled as many here, but, for my money, the HK skyline especially during the evenings is my favorite and the most impressive in the world. I'll never get sick of walking on the harbor looking over to the skyline in Central--it awed me the first time and still does even after all these years.

I think this time, after almost 3 years, we can finally have some cautious optimism. I know we've been disappointed, but, IMHO, it's preferable to be optimistic and be disappointed as opposed to being a pessimistic all the time hoping for the occasional "upside" surprise.

This time, I think it'll work out.
Yes, so true! And I will be so thrilled to go back . . . . fingers crossed.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 7:06 am

Yes, so true! And I will be so thrilled to go back . . . . fingers crossed.
It may happen! Just as France's opening triggered the domino effect, IMHO, HK will do the same for SE Asia. If HK opens up, they're all going to follow, even Japan, in my view.

PS - Who would've imagined that it would be the French who lead Europe out of this?!
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
It may happen! Just as France's opening triggered the domino effect, IMHO, HK will do the same for SE Asia. If HK opens up, they're all going to follow, even Japan, in my view.
Big question is when?

I think Japan will open up sooner than HK.

PS - Who would've imagined that it would be the French who lead Europe out of this?!
Old Sep 19, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Deleted

Last edited by allset2travel; Sep 19, 2022 at 9:56 am Reason: Delete duplicate
Old Sep 19, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: UA
It may happen! Just as France's opening triggered the domino effect, IMHO, HK will do the same for SE Asia.
Most of SE Asia is already open though.
Old Sep 19, 2022, 5:14 pm

this is a bizarrely inaccurate post.
Captain Schmidt likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue
Did anyone fly from Europe with KLM through BKK?

I found conflicting information online about what happens during the short BKK layover, and implications for the H-48 PCR test.
My understanding is that if pax stay onboard AMS departure time matters; and if de-planing is required, it's a bit of a grey area since there's another boarding but flight number stays the same.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 10:49 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Originally Posted by allset2travel

I think Japan will open up sooner than HK.
Japan is fully open again in a few weeks.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by maalloc
Did anyone fly from Europe with KLM through BKK?

I found conflicting information online about what happens during the short BKK layover, and implications for the H-48 PCR test.
My understanding is that if pax stay onboard AMS departure time matters; and if de-planing is required, it's a bit of a grey area since there's another boarding but flight number stays the same.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Problem self-solved!

As of Sept 26th:
- 3+4 becomes 0+3
- PCR replaced with H-24 RAT test
- Test and go on arrival at airport
- Public transportation from Airport allowed on arrival

Source: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ntine-overseas

Edit: typo on date

Last edited by maalloc; Sep 23, 2022 at 4:32 am
Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:37 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by maalloc
Problem self-solved!

As of June 26th:
- 3+4 becomes 0+3
- PCR replaced with H-24 RAT test
- Test and go on arrival at airport
- Public transportation from Airport allowed on arrival

Source: https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ntine-overseas
26 June, eh?

Ironically, perhaps this could be spun off into its own thread.

Anyway, here's a depressing tidbit from that link:
"Health chief Lo Chung-mau {sic} says after finishing three days of medical surveillance, travellers will still need to take mandatory PCR tests on days 4 and 6."
Consequently, perhaps I will limit my tidings to three days.
Schwann and oopl like this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
26 June, eh?

Ironically, perhaps this could be spun off into its own thread.

Anyway, here's a depressing tidbit from that link:
"Health chief Lo Chung-mau {sic} says after finishing three days of medical surveillance, travellers will still need to take mandatory PCR tests on days 4 and 6."
Consequently, perhaps I will limit my tidings to three days.
Are we not still in June 2020?

Thanks for pointing out the fine prints. PCR tests on day 4 and 6 still mean catching covid during the first week takes you straight to jail Penny's Bay. Not so good for business/leisure travel.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:17 am

It's good enough for me. I can't wait to go!

So to make sure I understand, you arrive at the airport, take a quick test, go to your hotel and wait until they send you the results (like Singapore used to do). Then self test for 3 days. PCR on day 4 and 6. Is that accurate?
Visconti likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 9:21 am

It's good enough for me. I can't wait to go!
Likewise, but a question. PCR the one where they stick that thing way up one's nose? Or, have we improved the testing method to be less invasive and barbaric? By the way, the PRC anal test would be a deal breaker for me, HK notwithstanding.

So to make sure I understand, you arrive at the airport, take a quick test, go to your hotel and wait until they send you the results (like Singapore used to do). Then self test for 3 days. PCR on day 4 and 6. Is that accurate?
In the event of a positive test, isolation in hotel? Or, go to one of those facilities and be at the mercy of local officials?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.