Reload this Page >

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2022, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by 889
From HKFP today, Friday, July 8:

"Hong Kong’s Secretary for Health Lo Chung-mau said halting quarantine was 'an unreasonable expectation' for the time being: 'Some people hope for quarantine-free travel, which is to open-up completely. I am sorry, I believe not a single government would make such a promise [to reopen] at the moment, or set such a target.' Lo said."
Does he mean a single government in China? As most other governments already do this. Or was that a cheap shot at Singapore, US, Europe, etc.?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:43 am
Original Poster

It's so blind to reality it must be a translation error. I think it's from an interview he gave Oriental Daily.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 12:41 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
It's here at around 2 minutes

https://orientaldaily.on.cc/content/...20570;到

No translation error, that's what he said. Don't know if he meant governments in China.

There was also some nonsense about 0 celsius not being absolute zero
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:48 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by :D!
It's here at around 2 minutes

https://orientaldaily.on.cc/content/...20570;到

No translation error, that's what he said. Don't know if he meant governments in China.

There was also some nonsense about 0 celsius not being absolute zero
I think he meant any HKSAR Government. Which is correct because the CCP will not appoint any HKSAR government that will authorise quarantine-free travel ahead of the Mainland itself doing so.
:D! likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:09 pm

The city’s 24,000 designated hotel quarantine rooms for August until the end of October are struggling to meet demand, as recent decisions to slash isolation to seven days and reopen the border to non-residents prompted a surge of travelers who snapped up reservations sometimes months in advance.

The non-resident rule has also prompted Chinese travelers to use Hong Kong as a gateway to the mainland, where international flight connections are scarce as President Xi Jinping tries to shut out the virus. Monthly mainland Chinese arrivals at Hong Kong airport jumped nearly 11,000% between April and June to 30,222 -- accounting for one-third of airport passengers last month.

In that environment, travelers are struggling to book quarantine rooms, scalpers are entering the market and properties have raised their own prices.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...china-arrivals

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 8, 2022 at 10:48 pm
Old Jul 8, 2022, 10:47 pm

Oh I get it now. The Mainland scalpers do back-to-back (I was wondering how Mainland returnees can ensure they can get back to Mainland before they overstay - their passports only enable a 7-day legal stay):
"Miranda Yu, traveled through Hong Kong to reenter the mainland from the UK where she’d been studying, because she couldn’t find “direct flights from England to China.” Transiting through Europe would’ve cost about 50,000 yuan ($7,470), she said, whereas flying from the UK to Hong Kong was 5,000 yuan. From Hong Kong, she took a bus back to China via the Zhuhai bridge.

Yu says scalpers are already a staple of China’s quarantine hotel and bus ticket market. “No one can buy with original prices,” she added."
And our DQH sold out to the Mainland scalpers:
"As more Chinese travelers come through Hong Kong, scalpers are capitalizing. Vicki Wong, a Hong Kong-based construction firm sales coordinator, says she had to use a mainland agent to get a quarantine room for this summer -- and pay double the official rate.

“Before, even when a hotel’s official website said they were full, when you call or email them they could still find a room for you,” said Wong. “But when I’m looking for rooms for August, they all said they’re fully booked.”

Wong paid HK$21,000 ($2,687) for seven nights in a single room at the four-star Regal Kowloon Hotel, twice the government-listed price of HK$10,850. She got booking confirmation within three hours, despite the hotel website showing no availability. The Regal Kowloon Hotel did not respond to Bloomberg’s request for comment."
gudugan likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 5:46 am
Original Poster

The Government is aware of the problem and is taking action to resolve it.

"The Government has all along been monitoring closely the operation of the DQH Scheme and noticed the scalping of guest rooms in DQHs in recent days. Having discussed with the hotel industry, the following measures are implemented with immediate effect to prevent the scalping of hotel rooms:

"DQHs should require their partner travel agents not to block book the guest rooms without booking details of guests. . . Hotels should ask the travel agents to itemise the fees charged on the receipt, and ensure that the hotel room rate is the same as the published rate listed on the Government website. . .

"We have reiterated to all DQHs that the Government will not tolerate any kind of scalping activities. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and will take appropriate follow-up action if non-compliance cases are found."

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...2062400859.htm
Old Jul 9, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 889
From HKFP today, Friday, July 8:

"Hong Kong’s Secretary for Health Lo Chung-mau said halting quarantine was 'an unreasonable expectation' for the time being: 'Some people hope for quarantine-free travel, which is to open-up completely. I am sorry, I believe not a single government would make such a promise [to reopen] at the moment, or set such a target.' Lo said."
Why are they so stuck in March 2020? This has been said to death but the world has moved on.

On one had the government ditches the circuit breakers because they're "damaging" business but on the other hand comes out with the comments above.

Other than copying whatever the mainland does a few weeks later, what do they hope to achieve?
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Schwann
Other than copying whatever the mainland does a few weeks later, what do they hope to achieve?
What do you mean?
They're copying what Mainland has already done.
Propagating national policy is the beginning, end and the current mission of the SAR governments (I'm looking at Macau right now).
Schwann likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by percysmith
What do you mean?
They're copying what Mainland has already done.
Propagating national policy is the beginning, end and the current mission of the SAR governments (I'm looking at Macau right now).
I thought there is a one country two systems policy?
HK don't need to copy Mainland if that's true, am I right?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
I think he meant any HKSAR Government. Which is correct because the CCP will not appoint any HKSAR government that will authorise quarantine-free travel ahead of the Mainland itself doing so.
I really don't think he mean any HKSAR government. He is saying that like he would say "No government would let a regular citizen owns a gun." I don't think he is making a jab at other countries. It was not a "prepared" statement and just flow from head to mouth naturally. "Oh no one would do that."

In the article below, which is not in the clip, he said that looks at what happened to US and UK when they opened up. 1mil died in US and 180K died in UK. If HK opened up, there will not be only 9000 death.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
One country one system

https://www.newsweek.com/hong-kong-c...g-home-1723365
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
I don’t think the Mainland uses geofencing. If you’re infected they just take you to their equivalents of PB (eg Changming Island or PD Expo), or they just Red code you and order you to stay at home.

Colour codes are definitely them. I fail to see how that is conducive to reopening to the rest of the world, because it is real name SIM-dependent, there’ll need to be a massive operation in Chap Lap Kok to register visitors SIMs or sell and register local SIMs to them.

Not sure how Mainland is handling this but they’ve even less visitors than us. Those visitors will need codes from embassies and consulates to get to China from the get-go.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Ok this guy is also saying that there will be something like less quarantine by November. https://archive.ph/4gkVg
The newsweek article is from 11 July and the SCMP article is from 13 July

Who knows anymore?
Old Jul 15, 2022, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
If they open up it will be with strings.. tracking apps, numerous tests. Might be enough to attract family/essential visits but it won't do much for tourism.
percysmith likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.