Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:28 am
Original Poster

The door opens May 1.

https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...0-20220422.htm
mcdullhk88 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: FlyingBlue
"...fool me twice, shame on me"

This time, I will take it with a grain of salt and won't rush to find a quarantine hotel. In hindsight, the probability that this measure is dropped before being implemented seems higher than the risk of having the last hypothetical QT rooms snatched away. And this comes from someone who's counting days until he can go back to HK.

If someone bites the bullet and goes tickets/hotel hunting, please feel free to share your experience here!
From the FB support group, it seems airlines suspensions are still crazy these days. Not sure how much the new threshold can help.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
From the horse's mouth:

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...2042200621.htm

Arrival test:
RAT and PCR tests are sampled at the airport upon arrival. If RAT -ve then head to the hotel instead of wait for result at the airport.

Entry status:
A visitor who holds visa on arrival travel documents would be permitted to enter

Flight Ban Mechanism triggers five days (OR):
5 positive
5 % of passengers tested positive
3 positive plus ONE improperly documented passenger.
tauphi, oopl and maalloc like this.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

The calculation is very important. From that linked Government release: "(i) five or more passengers, or five per cent or more of the total number of passengers on board the same flight (whichever is higher) tested positive for COVID-19 by arrival test."

That is, if there are 60 passengers on board the ban will be triggered not with 3 positive cases but with 5? And with 200 it will be trigerred not with 5 positive cases but with 10?

Of course with a larger passenger load the greater the chance one passenger will have non-compliant docs and the second 3-positive-cases rule will apply.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No mention of quarantine. There will be few foreign takers if existing quarantine requirement stays.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Of course there's quarantine. Same as for returning residents: 7 days, normally.

This is meant not for tourists but for non-residents with ties to HK who really need to return for family, business etc reasons.

When non-residents were to some extent permitted entry last fall they raised hardly a blip in the statistics.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 11:15 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 889
The calculation is very important. From that linked Government release: "(i) five or more passengers, or five per cent or more of the total number of passengers on board the same flight (whichever is higher) tested positive for COVID-19 by arrival test."

That is, if there are 60 passengers on board the ban will be triggered not with 3 positive cases but with 5? And with 200 it will be trigerred not with 5 positive cases but with 10?

Of course with a larger passenger load the greater the chance one passenger will have non-compliant docs and the second 3-positive-cases rule will apply.
“ii only applies *if* one non-compliant case boarded aircraft:

“From May 1, if on the same flight there are (i) five or more passengers, or five per cent or more of the total number of passengers on board the same flight (whichever is higher) tested positive for COVID-19 by arrival test, or (ii) three or more passenger are tested positive for COVID-19 by arrival test and one or more non-compliant case(s) was/were allowed to board for Hong Kong without complying with with the requirement(s) specified under the Prevention and Control of Disease (Regulation of Cross-boundary Conveyances and Travellers) Regulation (Cap. 599H), the passenger flights of that route from the relevant airline from the same origin place will be prohibited from landing in Hong Kong for five days.”

https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...2042200621.htm
Old Apr 23, 2022, 12:20 am
Original Poster

What am I saying that's different?

The point is simply that if there are 300 passengers aboard there's a greater likelihood one will have bad docs than if there are just 50. And if that happens there'll be a ban if there are at least 3 positives cases on arrival; the 5/5% rule won't apply.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:27 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 889
What am I saying that's different?

The point is simply that if there are 300 passengers aboard there's a greater likelihood one will have bad docs than if there are just 50. And if that happens there'll be a ban if there are at least 3 positives cases on arrival; the 5/5% rule won't apply.
Bad docs should be caught by airline though (denied boarding)?
Old Apr 23, 2022, 1:37 am
Original Poster

So a passenger forges a hotel reservation or a vacc cert. Unless there's some obvious discrepancy they're not going to pick it up. Nor is it reasonable to expect them to.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:27 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Actually I still don’t quite understand the process. I know you need pre departure and post arrival tests, and I know you need 1 week quarantine. But what happened if u are test positive on arrival or during quarantine, do you got send to hospital or isolation ‘camp’? When will they release you? Until you test negative (that can be anywhere between 1 week to whatever)?
Old Apr 24, 2022, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by williamluk
Actually I still don’t quite understand the process. I know you need pre departure and post arrival tests, and I know you need 1 week quarantine. But what happened if u are test positive on arrival or during quarantine, do you got send to hospital or isolation ‘camp’? When will they release you? Until you test negative (that can be anywhere between 1 week to whatever)?
That is my understanding. Testing positive on arrival/during Q has been a gamble for months now.

The whole process didn't change, except that from May 1st, non-residents can join the party.
Clipper801 likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 12:32 am

Seeing how little discussion the news of HK borders re-opening created here, I'm not sure there are any non-HK residents trying to enter the city these days.
Official numbers, which counted less than 100 arrival of non-residents per day, seem to confirm that the city completely fell out of travellers radar.

That said, I can confirm first-hand that it's indeed possible. Flying directly from Europe is a pain and I ended up doing a stop in BKK, but it's feasible.
Arrival procedure is long, needlessly convoluted and an obvious waste of time... but do you really care when you have a week of Q ahead of you anyway?

Happy to answer any questions for those who want to come back to the city. The process can be daunting, paperwork is overwhelming and there are a few "..." moments when you have to explain that no, you don't have a HKID card... but it's all worth it in the end. So good to be back after 2 years.
JNelson113 and mcdullhk88 like this.
Old May 13, 2022, 6:38 am
Original Poster

To confirm that they now do both PCR and RATP tests on arrival, and you can leave after a short wait for the RATP results; no more hours sitting around waiting for the PCR results.

As well, you can get a QR code for your overseas vaccinations which you can add to the HK Vaccine Pass and get entry to the places that now require it. They'll also add a booster vaccination, even though it's not yet required for entry into HK.

Under the new rule, there are no flight suspensions in effect at the moment. Before, there were around half a dozen at any given time.

https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/pdf/flight_suspension_list_ENG.pdf
JNelson113, mcdullhk88 and oopl like this.

Last edited by 889; May 13, 2022 at 7:57 am
Old May 13, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by maalloc
Seeing how little discussion the news of HK borders re-opening created here, I'm not sure there are any non-HK residents trying to enter the city these days.
Official numbers, which counted less than 100 arrival of non-residents per day, seem to confirm that the city completely fell out of travellers radar.

That said, I can confirm first-hand that it's indeed possible. Flying directly from Europe is a pain and I ended up doing a stop in BKK, but it's feasible.
Arrival procedure is long, needlessly convoluted and an obvious waste of time... but do you really care when you have a week of Q ahead of you anyway?

Happy to answer any questions for those who want to come back to the city. The process can be daunting, paperwork is overwhelming and there are a few "..." moments when you have to explain that no, you don't have a HKID card... but it's all worth it in the end. So good to be back after 2 years.
I'm very happy for you! I saw that HK is moving to a new leader shortly; I have no idea if he will make moves to open up more but I live in hope, I guess. Haven't been since fall 2019 and I would so dearly love to return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.