Wiki Posts
Search

HK Re-Opening to Non-Residents

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by 889
For what it is worth, the Government now has a webpage showing quarantine room availability.

https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/d...ng-status.html
The reason why I haven't shared that is it is a government run site and the room inventory is very put of date.
Best to call the "reservation" dept of the property you are interested in and give them your dates.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

That's precisely why I said "for what it's worth." Problem is, calling a dozen hotels every day becomes impracticable, so every bit of information, even if it's not right up-to-date, has value.

What I've found surprising -- and wrong -- is that some hotels have a 21-day minimum in early December. That is, 14-day quarantines not accepted (unless you pay for 21). Surely their agreement with the Government doesn't permit this sort of gouging.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Visconti
Both. While recently, I suppose NSL isn't entirely unexpected given the events of the past several years, I had believed, perhaps naively, that the PRC would honor the 50 year agreement post '97.
As the person who is born in 1980s, our generation knows one thing. And one thing only - both British and Chinese can't be trusted (and that partially explains why I am an American now).

So the Joint Declaration is pretty much a bunch of BS to us anyway. Hong Kong is going to become another Mainland city. It is just a matter on the level of autonomy.

Originally Posted by tentseller
The reason why I haven't shared that is it is a government run site and the room inventory is very put of date.
Best to call the "reservation" dept of the property you are interested in and give them your dates.
A classic sign of distrust of the Government. FWIW - I am not saying there is anything wrong with that.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:23 pm

That room availability website is wrong. Plain and simple. Message each one you shortlist individually or call them directly. It's painful but the only way.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Given the way infection rates have been rising in Europe recently, I've become concerned that a large group of countries is going to be moved from B to A soon. But where are the rooms to cover an increase in quarantine to 21 days for a large number of travelers?
Old Nov 1, 2021, 7:04 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by percysmith
Silver lining is Government is said to not be considering further restrictions on cross-border crew.

In other news those discharged from hospital from Covid will still face 14 days' quarantine in North Lantau Hospital https://news.rthk.hk/rthk/en/compone...6-20211026.htm . This only works if Government can maintain Covid Zero, I don't see how this works with a sizeable community outbreak.
Ok not as bad as first thought. Air crew not affected. Was worried Govt might attempt to put foreign crews into HK's 35 day closed loop.

Consular staff are going to be sent to hotels, consuls and senior consular staff will get home quarantine (previously: home quarantine and exempt respectively). Consular officers only have functional immunity, so I guess this is legal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consul...nity_in_the_US

Last edited by percysmith; Nov 1, 2021 at 7:30 am
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:58 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Ok not as bad as first thought. Air crew not affected. Was worried Govt might attempt to put foreign crews into HK's 35 day closed loop.

Consular staff are going to be sent to hotels, consuls and senior consular staff will get home quarantine (previously: home quarantine and exempt respectively). Consular officers only have functional immunity, so I guess this is legal https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consul...nity_in_the_US
What are the mainland rules for flight and consular staff? Worse or better than this? As HK is trying to make the mainland happy
Old Nov 1, 2021, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
What are the mainland rules for flight and consular staff? Worse or better than this? As HK is trying to make the mainland happy
i-Cable said this aligns HK with Mainland treatment of consuls.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
It's worse for flight crew which you can see from the fact that all US airlines change their crew in ICN before flying into China to get around the restrictions.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:36 am

Zhong Nanshan claimed cost of Covid Zero > living with Covid, though his reasoning seems to be predicated on (other) countries choosing to change their mind after trying to live with Covid. And of course, China having the ability to quash outbreaks. We may be living with this fiction for the while if this is the Party line.

???? i-CABLE - ????????????????????
Old Nov 2, 2021, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Zhong Nanshan claimed cost of Covid Zero > living with Covid, though his reasoning seems to be predicated on (other) countries choosing to change their mind after trying to live with Covid. And of course, China having the ability to quash outbreaks. We may be living with this fiction for the while if this is the Party line.

???? i-CABLE - ????????????????????
As long as XJP thinks this is the way to go, everyone below him will fall in line no matter how ridiculous they know it is in private. Such is the way things work in the People’s Republic. Settle in for the never ending border closure.
m.y, 889 and gudugan like this.
Old Nov 2, 2021, 6:57 am
Original Poster

If one morning the Chinese leadership woke up and decided, "Enough is enough. Time to open up!" can you imagine the sound of 10,000 cadres u-turning? It would be deafening.
JNelson113 and gudugan like this.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I think the only other covid zero country currently is New Zealand. Japan and South Korea have exemptions if one is a business traveler - Japan 3 days and Korea no quarantine. Korea also has a direct family exemption.

Clearly they don’t care about New Zealand so the only way this actually changes in the short term is if there is an uncontrollable outbreak.
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:02 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by gudugan
I think the only other covid zero country currently is New Zealand. Japan and South Korea have exemptions if one is a business traveler - Japan 3 days and Korea no quarantine. Korea also has a direct family exemption.

Clearly they don’t care about New Zealand so the only way this actually changes in the short term is if there is an uncontrollable outbreak.
New Zealand to abandon zero-Covid strategy as Delta variant proves hard to shake - CNN

New Zealand to abandon zero-Covid strategy as Delta variant proves hard to shake

NZ announced they are giving up on covid-0 a month ago. Taiwan is walking back quarantine restrictions albeit slowly.

And then there was one....
Old Nov 9, 2021, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by uanj
New Zealand to abandon zero-Covid strategy as Delta variant proves hard to shake - CNN

New Zealand to abandon zero-Covid strategy as Delta variant proves hard to shake

NZ announced they are giving up on covid-0 a month ago. Taiwan is walking back quarantine restrictions albeit slowly.

And then there was one....
ehhhhh.. talk is cheap. I'll believe NZ when tourists can fly in with no quarantine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.