Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:12 pm

I'm trying to combine my 2 free night certs with the 5th night free. I've called in twice and both times been told that isn't possible (and never has been possible). Should I just keep HUCAing?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Hit my spend requirement on 6/23, still waiting for change in my HH account.

EDIT:
Just posted this evening! ^
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
I'm trying to combine my 2 free night certs with the 5th night free. I've called in twice and both times been told that isn't possible (and never has been possible). Should I just keep HUCAing?
IME it's not possible to combine a free night cert reservation with a points reservation, so you can't use the certs to "pay" for part of your 5th night free points requirement.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:40 am

100,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months + a free weekend night award after first anniversary

Is the free weekend night award an every year award or just a one time and done event?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by Himey97

Is the free weekend night award an every year award or just a one time and done event?
One time...it's part of the current sign-up offer.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
Are you trying to book 7 nights (5th night free + 2 free night certificates) or 5 nights total? If it is the later, you CANNOT use the certificates as part of the payment. 5th night free applies only to reservations booked entirely on points since it reduces the overall price to 4 night point cost equivalent. If it is the former, yes you can combine it. The free certificates so have the limitation of weekend use only. So the nights designated for them must be weekend dates.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:47 pm

DP: Spent 3000+ during my first billing cycle in April. Got the regular spend points 9200+. Still waiting on the 100,000. Called Amex CS three times and chatted once. Different answer every time, something to do with their system not adding the spend correctly. Basically, they lied to me and are giving me the runaround. Amex CS is awful.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
With news of Citi losing Hilton, I'm looking into the Surpass (I currently have the no-fee Citi Hilton card). Is the 100K offer still working? The link in the Wiki goes to a page that says the application system is down or something like that. Best public offer I can find seems to be 75K.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:55 pm

100k points posted about 10 days after crossing the $3,075 threshold.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by bswiz
With news of Citi losing Hilton, I'm looking into the Surpass (I currently have the no-fee Citi Hilton card). Is the 100K offer still working? The link in the Wiki goes to a page that says the application system is down or something like that. Best public offer I can find seems to be 75K.
100K bonus offer is over.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by bswiz
PM me for a 100k offer

Last edited by druryvanek26; Jun 30, 2017 at 6:16 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:25 am

As far as the 1-year anniversary free WE night is concerned, is there any idea how fast that appears in the account after the 1 year mark? I suppose there may be no data points on it yet. It took 2 full months for me to get my Club Carlson 40K bonus and I'm hoping Amex doesn't take that long.

edit: Just saw a write up saying within 6 to 8 weeks....but I'm hoping it's much quicker than that in actuality.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 11:04 am

I am in the same situation as some others... About to call Hilton Honors to COMBINE the new account number (from new surpass) with my original number.
Two questions:
1) Do I then need to call AMEX about this or does it automatically tie in from Hilton so that points are going to the right account?

2) I recently paid for a Hilton stay w/ the new Surpass card(and received points on the new (incorrect) number BUT because the reservation was made months earlier using my original number--I did not receive the points calculations for GOLD status.
Is it Hilton that calculates or Amex?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by little dutchess
About to call Hilton Honors to COMBINE the new account number (from new surpass) with my original number.
Two questions:
1) Do I then need to call AMEX about this or does it automatically tie in from Hilton so that points are going to the right account?
You have to call AMEX. We had the same situation.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
So I'm concerned about losing my annual Citi Reserve certicate benefit.
I see the Surpass appears to have a cert now for the first year bonus,
But does anyone think when they finally sort out the citi mess, what's the chance Amex eventually offers a comparable card, ex $95 fee and annual cert?

I'm not holding my breath but in some way I'd be surprised if no card offers a cert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.