Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2014, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 155,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Offer Expires Apr. 17, 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 170,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months; $95 annual fee. Expired Jan 17 2024
Hilton HHonors American Express Surpass card. 130,000 points for spending $4,000 in 4 months; $95 annual fee. OFFER EXPIRED AUG 28.
Hilton HHonors American Express Ascend card
. 75,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months+ 25,000 points after additional $1000 in 6 months; $95 annual fee.
  • Important limitation on this offer: "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product."

Note: For existing Surpass card holders, AMEX verbally confirmed that on or after 20 January 2018, card holders can call in and request cards be converted to Aspire - while maintaining the same credit card number, balance limits, PIN, etc.

Card features:
  • Annual fee: $95 $150, no first-year waiver.
  • Earning: 12 HHonors points per dollar on Hilton spend; 6 points/$ at U.S. restaurants, supermarkets & gas stations; 4 points for online retail purchases (as of 2023); and 3 points/$ on everything else.
  • Elite status: Hilton Gold status for as long as you have the card and Diamond status after $40,000 in annual spend.
  • Booking bonus: 500 bonus points for every stay (including award stays) booked directly with Hilton & guaranteed with the card

Check your application status

Linking Amex Ascend Surpass to your Hilton Honors account.Many (most?) have reported that a new Hilton Honors number gets assigned by Amex even when they put their existing Hilton Honors number in the application, and it can take several weeks to get this worked out. However, the key to making things go smoothly seems to be an exact match of your name and address between Amex and Hilton, including adding your middle initial to your Hilton Honors account if you use it on your Amex. When everything matches, an Amex rep should be able to update the account number, it should "go through" immediately, and the correct Hilton account number will be reflected on the Amex website in about 2 days.

Is the Amex Ascend Surpass churnable?As of May 1, 2014, Amex will not give a signup bonus to card applicants who have held the card in the past ~7 years, even if the applicant has never earned a previous signup bonus for it. However, it is still possible to upgrade an existing Hilton Amex to the Ascend Surpass card to earn a bonus (and reportedly to do this more than once by later downgrading & then upgrading again). The best strategy is to earn a Ascend Surpass signup bonus first, and only afterward pursue the upgrade bonus(es).

For information on other Hilton-branded credit cards, see the wiki at Ongoing offers for Hilton cards issued by Amex or Citi

Print Wikipost

The Hilton Honors Surpass Card from American Express (formerly called Ascend)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
I find the Surpass near useless in Europe.
Are you saying Hilton properties in Europe commonly do not take the Surpass card? If yes, that is another thing for fredc84 to consider. If you are commenting on limited acceptance of American Express cards other than at Hilton properties, then (as I understand fredc84's post) that is not an issue.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
I find the Surpass near useless in Europe.
I find the Citi no-fee card to be preferable in some instances.

There is often a bonus for points per spend (+3), and sometimes it overlaps with seasonal bonuses (spend $750 get 7500 points). There's also a spend $1000 a year and get 10,000 bonus points every year. I was able to combine all of these for a 3night stay in EU for $1100, where I paid the FTF and got 17,500 bonus points plus 9 points per dollar.
I was strictly talking about using the Surpass at the Hilton we are staying at, not at any other time. We use SPG whever we can with Citi AA as a backup in case Amex isn't accepted.
Old May 2, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
I need some help. Just got my first annual fee from my Amex Hilton Surpass.
1. Did my offer back then have 1 free weekend night on the first anniversary (regardless of spend)? Is there a place I can find out if mine did/didn't offer that?
2. If so, when does that weekend night become available for me to use?

I have a trip next month that it could be very useful for. I thought the offer had a free weekend night on the first anniversary, but now I am not sure.

Thank you!
I have same question and have received conflicting answers when calling Amex.

I finally chatted with CS and I was confirmed that this is a new benefit for new applications only; It is best to downgrade, not pay AF and wait for upgrade offers.

Last edited by ORD-TGU; May 2, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Old May 3, 2017, 8:46 am

Is it better to upgrade no AF card to surpass?
Or Apply for a surpass to get the free night
Or Double-dip by applying for surpass and upgrading no AF card on the same day?
Old May 3, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
Is it better to upgrade no AF card to surpass?
Or Apply for a surpass to get the free night
Or Double-dip by applying for surpass and upgrading no AF card on the same day?
The very short wiki at the top of this page provides an answer.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:09 am

Thanks. I guess i'd have to figure a way out to meet $6K spending if I want to double dip. My no annual fee hilton does not have the "Welcome bonus offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product" restriction

Originally Posted by beltway
The very short wiki at the top of this page provides an answer.
Old May 4, 2017, 11:30 am

I upgraded my no fee card to Surpass Card last night. Can I start using my no fee card now toward $3000 required spend before my Surpass Card arrives?
Old May 4, 2017, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by JCary
I upgraded my no fee card to Surpass Card last night. Can I start using my no fee card now toward $3000 required spend before my Surpass Card arrives?
I upgraded mine last week, and that's the assumption I operate under.

I received a letter in the mail earlier this week that states:

"Your requested account transfer and all resulting changes to the terms, features and benefits of your account are effective as of April XX, 2017 (date I submitted request)"
Old May 5, 2017, 2:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
For any current card holders who are referring others for the Surpass, I just want to post a data point that my referrer bonus of 25,000 points posted to my Honors account two business days after the person I referred was approved for the card.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:43 pm

Thanks Evo. Just referred an approved app today. Will be watching for the points early next week.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Got the new card/new HH number March 18

Hit the spend April 7

Bonus points in account April 12

First statement closed April 14, received regular spend points

I don't know if it helped, but we have a very long, strong relationship with Amex.
Did your account upgrade to HILTON GOLD elite status right away or when did you see the upgrade? Do you need to spend the $3,000 to get Gold status?
Old May 7, 2017, 11:45 am

*Data point*

hit spend on May 3rd, 100k bonus points were available in Hilton account May 6th. (Statement set to close May 16th) FWIW I did make a partial pmt May 5th, don't know if that helped at all.
Old May 7, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm currently a Surpass card holder and have already received a bonus in the past. I upgraded from a regular HHonors AMEX. If I downgade back to the regular HHonors AMEX, how long would I need to stay downgraded before re-upgrading to Surpass for another bonus?
Old May 9, 2017, 6:59 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Did your account upgrade to HILTON GOLD elite status right away or when did you see the upgrade? Do you need to spend the $3,000 to get Gold status?
I can't speak for Eujeanie, but the status upgrade happened overnight for me two years ago (Silver to Gold) when I upgraded from the regular Honors AMEX to Surpass.

Gold status is a built-in benefit of the Surpass and should be effective once your account is upgraded to Surpass.
Old May 9, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I'm currently a Surpass card holder and have already received a bonus in the past. I upgraded from a regular HHonors AMEX. If I downgade back to the regular HHonors AMEX, how long would I need to stay downgraded before re-upgrading to Surpass for another bonus?
Anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.