Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2022, 6:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ti/LTP, Hilton Diamond, Sixt AC, Hertz PC
Unhappy Limit your expectations and check your folio twice

We've spent my birthday in the Conrad on two back-to-back reservations (2 days cash, 5 days on points). The Conrad is experimenting with a butler-like service, which is quite limited, but adds a charm to the check in experience. We were asked to confirm our phone number has WhatsApp as they will use that to contact us, and were told we'll get information about changing villas the night before.

Smaller issues started right after we've occupied our villa, like the in room safe being nonoperational (the battery compartment was fixed wrong, something clearly visible). Our first dinner was at the Tamure Grill, with a mixed experience thanks to the attitude of the waitress, but after over 30 hours of travel we've thought we might be just too tired and moved on.

My birthday dinner was in the hotel's signature restaurant called Iriatai. It turned out that despite the menu stating “According to your desires, our sommelier can guide you in your choices and sublimate the combination of food and wine”, we were told that “the sommelier is not here tonight”. After about 10 minutes they were able to find an English speaking waitress who suggested a wine for us - just for our original waitress to spill some of it on the tablecloth two minutes later. Going back to the villa there was no information about our transfer the next day, but I've thought we'll get it in the morning - it never happened.

Next morning after breakfast I've visited the front desk to inquire about our transfer. The lady there flat out started educating me on I should have checked properly the mail box at the villa as all the information is there already. I was also told we have to check out by noon and our luggage will be moved to the new villa when it has been assigned. I was baffled about the style and the situation, but didn't want to make a scene, so we went back to pack.

I went back to the reception (as there was still no information given to us and the mailbox was still empty), where a different agent told me that the new villa has not been assigned yet and they will send a message through WhatApp when it's ready. After waiting 'til 3pm I went back just to be told that our luggage is already in the new villa for a while, they've just forgot to contact us. When we went to the villa, one bag was missing, so I've called the Conrad Service on the phone and was assured they are looking for it. An hour passed with no callback, so my wife got pissed enough to go to the reception directly and ask about it in person. It turned out that whoever picked up the phone never told anyone about the issue. After a while the bag was found in a storage room and we've decided to go to the deck of our new villa, just to find some french fries on the chairs and the floor from the previous guests..

We had room service that night which was OK, and had the only good dining experience at the Banyan restaurant on the next one. We've booked our boat transfer to Vaitepe for the next day through the Hilton app's chat as well.

After breakfast we went to the dock and while our transfer to Vaitepe was booked by the person I've talked through the chat, the same person have never booked the slot for us to come back. Small issue for sure, and we could resolve it on the spot, but by that time it was clear both phone calls to Conrad Service and the in-app chat randomly go into a black hole (we had to request things like water multiple times before that, too).

For next night we were told everything is fully booked, but when walking by, we've decided to ask at the Tamure Grill if they have a table for us as it seemed to be empty (maybe 2-3 tables were taken from the more than 10). There we've got our second education by the waitress about we should have reserved a table and we shouldn't just expect to walk in. If there would have been any other option to dine we would have left. I might be way too patient, but this was the time I've decided to bring up the issues with Laureen Debrosse, the director of rooms at checkout.

We had about an half an hour chat with Laureen and I've tried to be constructive and also mentioned the positive experiences we had with some employees, and Laureen also agreed that what has been delivered was not up to the level of service that should be expected at a Conrad. The hard product might be 5 stars, but the service level barely hits four of them. I've also learned that for example regardless of what is stated on the website and the menu, they do not even have a sommelier at all.

Friend of mine was asking me about the trip and he forwarded me the post from LoyaltyLobby and suggested me to recheck my folio as well. Turned out there was an extra dinner charge for the same night we were in the Banyan restaurant with a nice tip - all in all about $431.. Sent an email about this to Laureen, and other than being “obviously very sorry” about it and promising to transfer back to my CC I've been wished “a pleasant day ahead”.
mlqsko likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Kaloz
We've spent my birthday in the Conrad on two back-to-back reservations (2 days cash, 5 days on points). The Conrad is experimenting with a butler-like service, which is quite limited, but adds a charm to the check in experience. We were asked to confirm our phone number has WhatsApp as they will use that to contact us, and were told we'll get information about changing villas the night before.

Smaller issues started right after we've occupied our villa, like the in room safe being nonoperational (the battery compartment was fixed wrong, something clearly visible). Our first dinner was at the Tamure Grill, with a mixed experience thanks to the attitude of the waitress, but after over 30 hours of travel we've thought we might be just too tired and moved on.

My birthday dinner was in the hotel's signature restaurant called Iriatai. It turned out that despite the menu stating “According to your desires, our sommelier can guide you in your choices and sublimate the combination of food and wine”, we were told that “the sommelier is not here tonight”. After about 10 minutes they were able to find an English speaking waitress who suggested a wine for us - just for our original waitress to spill some of it on the tablecloth two minutes later. Going back to the villa there was no information about our transfer the next day, but I've thought we'll get it in the morning - it never happened.

Next morning after breakfast I've visited the front desk to inquire about our transfer. The lady there flat out started educating me on I should have checked properly the mail box at the villa as all the information is there already. I was also told we have to check out by noon and our luggage will be moved to the new villa when it has been assigned. I was baffled about the style and the situation, but didn't want to make a scene, so we went back to pack.

I went back to the reception (as there was still no information given to us and the mailbox was still empty), where a different agent told me that the new villa has not been assigned yet and they will send a message through WhatApp when it's ready. After waiting 'til 3pm I went back just to be told that our luggage is already in the new villa for a while, they've just forgot to contact us. When we went to the villa, one bag was missing, so I've called the Conrad Service on the phone and was assured they are looking for it. An hour passed with no callback, so my wife got pissed enough to go to the reception directly and ask about it in person. It turned out that whoever picked up the phone never told anyone about the issue. After a while the bag was found in a storage room and we've decided to go to the deck of our new villa, just to find some french fries on the chairs and the floor from the previous guests..

We had room service that night which was OK, and had the only good dining experience at the Banyan restaurant on the next one. We've booked our boat transfer to Vaitepe for the next day through the Hilton app's chat as well.

After breakfast we went to the dock and while our transfer to Vaitepe was booked by the person I've talked through the chat, the same person have never booked the slot for us to come back. Small issue for sure, and we could resolve it on the spot, but by that time it was clear both phone calls to Conrad Service and the in-app chat randomly go into a black hole (we had to request things like water multiple times before that, too).

For next night we were told everything is fully booked, but when walking by, we've decided to ask at the Tamure Grill if they have a table for us as it seemed to be empty (maybe 2-3 tables were taken from the more than 10). There we've got our second education by the waitress about we should have reserved a table and we shouldn't just expect to walk in. If there would have been any other option to dine we would have left. I might be way too patient, but this was the time I've decided to bring up the issues with Laureen Debrosse, the director of rooms at checkout.

We had about an half an hour chat with Laureen and I've tried to be constructive and also mentioned the positive experiences we had with some employees, and Laureen also agreed that what has been delivered was not up to the level of service that should be expected at a Conrad. The hard product might be 5 stars, but the service level barely hits four of them. I've also learned that for example regardless of what is stated on the website and the menu, they do not even have a sommelier at all.

Friend of mine was asking me about the trip and he forwarded me the post from LoyaltyLobby and suggested me to recheck my folio as well. Turned out there was an extra dinner charge for the same night we were in the Banyan restaurant with a nice tip - all in all about $431.. Sent an email about this to Laureen, and other than being “obviously very sorry” about it and promising to transfer back to my CC I've been wished “a pleasant day ahead”.
I was there a month ago and can concur with a lot of what's said except I wasn't over-billed. And the butlers are as useless as ueue in queue.
Old Sep 21, 2022, 2:27 pm

Ugh, we are headed there next week and these posts of poor service, sub-par food and bad attitudes are ruining my excitement.
Old Sep 22, 2022, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by cbra2
Ugh, we are headed there next week and these posts of poor service, sub-par food and bad attitudes are ruining my excitement.
At this point just enjoy the grounds, and make liberal use of the free shuttle to the main island
cbra2 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 10:27 am

heading there first of oct too, hope to not have same issues.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by SusanC23
heading there first of oct too, hope to not have same issues.
We will be there for a week starting November 5th and will make the best of it. Not expecting too much from the food and will be going to the main island for a few meals. We are mostly going for the beauty and the OWV. Looking forward to a great time with my wife.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:21 pm

April 2022 Trip Report

I feel obligated to share our trip experience given some of the late issues people have mentioned. I do wonder if we went right when service took a turn for the worse, as there was not many posts pre-April 2022 that highlighted the service or food concerns.

To preface, we loved Bora Bora and it was a trio of a lifetime. However, having been to Conrad Maldives and a few other high-end properties, we felt Conrad Bora Bora was operating more-so as the Holiday Inn Bora Bora.

We spent a total of 10 nights at the Conrad Bora Bora and spent a total of $9K. This was entirely booked on points, so all our spend was mostly related to activities and maybe $600 was an upgraded for a few nights to an OWV

A few issues…
  1. I planned my proposal on the island. Shockingly, there was not much help they could provide aside from helping organize a photographer. I sent photos from the 4 Seasons and St Regis and eventually we got to a middle ground. Funny enough, I feel they began advertising proposals after we were there. Big issue… the day of the proposal, the cart never showed up at the organized time. Mind you, we were on the furthest OWV. Between photographer and proposal, I was north of $2K. I ended up having to flag down maids who couldn’t help and then found a maintenance person who went and found someone to drive us. We got to the proposal site 10 minutes late, but the added stress, headache, and sweating trying to get this figured out really out a damper on what I spent. I would give them a C+ for effort, but a F for execution. I still regret not complaining at departure, but we had too many other issues this was icing on the cake.
  2. We had multiple in-room issues, one of which included our safe died during the trip. Both of us work in consulting and banking and locked our work laptops and phones. We needed access one day and the safe didn’t work. Minor issue, we call, they say we will be right there. 30 minutes go by and I call for an update, they act like they don’t know what I’m talking about. They say they will call back. Another 15-20 minutes go by, I call again. Someone will be right there. Close to an hour in the middle of the day we spent waiting for maintenance, and close to another 45m waiting for it to be unlocked. Not how you want to spend a beautiful day.
  3. Reservation issues. We met many friends on our trip, who we still keep in touch with. We both made reservations for the same day, asked if we could combine tables (2+2) and were told now. It was odd as the restaurant was all four person tables. Whatever, no big deal. We are seated at our time. Our friends, waited over an hour to be seated. They complained and were told it will be soon, even when there were open tables. This couple had worse issues than us, so they went over the tipping point and lost it (they had broken blinds in room, a door that didn’t lock, and had to transfer units because of maintenance issues).
  4. Food. While we loved the French restaurant, we found the rest to be *ok* for the experience. If I rated the Maldives, our food experience was a 9/10 (think cooking classes, fine dining chef meals, private dinner in wine cellar, dinner underwater etc.), I would rate Bora Bora a 5/10. The experience is what our typical meal out in Chicago would be, while nice, it wasn’t mind blowing, despite the mind blowing prices
  5. General staff (bartenders, wait staff, cart drivers, etc) had a “European” mindset is how I would describe it, and I don’t mean to offend. Service was not was is to be expected from Asia or USA. I had to consistently follow up for bills, resolve extra items on our bill, call for carts (in the Maldives and Mexico, most of the time empty cart drivers stop and ask if you need a ride. Don’t expect them to stop even if it’s raining and they are empty.). Bar service is slow. Go get your own drink or wait 1H+. Don’t bother with room service, it was fine, but $70 for a pizza, fries, and water, and I’d be happier with a frozen pizza at home.
I don’t mean to take away from the experience. This seems to be somewhat common in all of Bora Bora. We met a few couples on off island private tours that shared they never come for the food or service, they go to a private island within bora bora for when they desire that (one couple was leaving the next day to a 3 day all inclusive private island, it looked amazing… with a big price tag.). So it isn’t unique to the Conrad. But, for that reason, we don’t plan to go back beyond the sole fact it’s a half day flight rather than a 2 day flight to the Maldives.

Enjoy the beauty, it certainly will be unique. But, if you’re used to 5* hotels and resorts and fine dining, I’d dial back expectations a tad and remember you’re on island time
Old Sep 29, 2022, 3:03 pm

While I understand that some people's experience here do not reach mine, I feel sad that those that are going for the first time have dampened spirits due to some of these posts. I and my wife have been twice, as recently as September 2021, and the service we had from Killian and Daven was top notch, had a wonderful anniversary dinner at a magical spot by the spa on a small hill, incredible snorkeling, great drinks and food, etc etc. So for those that are going for their first time, my guess is that you will have a magical time. Landing on the airport at BB and looking around is breathtaking.
freppa87 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by yakel
While I understand that some people's experience here do not reach mine, I feel sad that those that are going for the first time have dampened spirits due to some of these posts. I and my wife have been twice, as recently as September 2021, and the service we had from Killian and Daven was top notch, had a wonderful anniversary dinner at a magical spot by the spa on a small hill, incredible snorkeling, great drinks and food, etc etc. So for those that are going for their first time, my guess is that you will have a magical time. Landing on the airport at BB and looking around is breathtaking.
I hope those who are going for the first time don't have dampened spirits, but rather hope they understand that if they have experienced other similarly high status resorts, they might find it doesn’t live up exactly to the others from a service perspective, and that’s okay. This points and miles journey has enabled us to experience over $125,000 of experiences we never would have experienced until much much older. It’s sad, but Q-Suites set a very high mark for other business class products for me and has led me to be
not as excited when I fly carriers such as Egypt Air, Royal Jordanian, and Ethiopian. I probably would have loved those products if I hadn't previously flown Qatar, Etihad, AA business

We probably spent more than the average points person while on site, averaging close to $1K/day on food and activities. So, for us, we expected a high mark for that kind of spend. I think that many will still find this their most incredible vacation.

We still consider returning one day given close proximity to the US, but would lean towards spending just a few hundred a day and setting our expectations accordingly. The snorkeling on site was great if you’re a strong swimmer, the currents can be stronger out on the OWV point. However, if you spend 1-2 hours a day here, you’ll see a lot of larger sealife.

The activities we did outside of the Conrad (but booked through the Conrad) were incredible. I saw manta ray, sharks, and many different aquatic life. We enjoyed many of our activities as well. Perhaps our food expectations were set too high, but for myself, the missing the mark on the engagement was the biggest strike given 1) the moment and 2) the price tag. If that hadn’t happened, perhaps I wouldn’t have put as much consideration to the other “misses” by the Conrad.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by yakel
We are setting the bar low. I mean Applebees low, so hopefully we won’t be disappointed. We live in Napa Valley and from what I read, the food will not even come close to what we get here.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by Sublimed4
We are setting the bar low. I mean Applebees low, so hopefully we won’t be disappointed. We live in Napa Valley and from what I read, the food will not even come close to what we get here.
Napa sets quite a high bar and the culinary arts certainly are not a strong suit of French Polynesia, so you're probably doing yourself a favor by setting those expectations. During our stay in August, we actually really liked the breakfast buffet - Very, very nice especially if you're getting it complimentarily as Hilton Gold or Diamond. I'd recommend reining in spending on other meals on property, as everything is just very expensive for the quantity and quality level you receive.

We experienced some minor service issues but this is a gorgeous property in a truly special place. Our overall takeaways from Conrad Bora Bora are very happy ones so I'd be willing to wager that if it doesn't rain the whole trip, you won't hate it ;-)
Majuki and mlqsko like this.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
We didn't have big service issues during our stay at the beginning of the year, but there were some things I would describe as off compared to the Conrad brand. For instance, the first morning we were there, the restaurant didn't have us listed as having breakfast included on our plan. We also wanted to upgrade from the continental breakfast for XPF 1,000 per day, but the reception disavowed all knowledge of this plan. We had to flag down our host when we randomly saw him later that day to fix the issue and apply the upgrade option. In reality the property defines the "continental" breakfast as being all menu items out for the buffet. The upgrade allows one to order off of the menu for items such as crepes and omelettes. There are enough hot food choices even without the upgrade.

The mosquitoes were really, really bad, and this is someone who grew up in a place with many mosquitoes. They were the worst at Iriatai, but we even had problems in the over water villa. I can't imagine how bad they would have been in the garden villas. Since we were there in early January 2022 and the property seems to be at low occupancy, they upgraded us from the base room booked on points to the over water villa. They had asked prior to arrival if we wanted to upgrade to the over water villas for around XPF 100,000 per night, but we declined. I think if I had not been staying on points and if I had paid for the upgrade I would have been completely disappointed.

We didn't have high service expectations, but we thought the service was on the whole decent.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 3:27 am

No mosquito issues late August in the garden villa but we had a visit from the biggest cockroach I have ever seen, it was massive. Considering the location of the garden villas I found this quite normal lol.

The roach made it out on the bottom of a shoe.
Majuki and Sublimed4 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:46 pm

Motu private lunch

We are going to do the private Motu lunch and was wondering if anyone has done it and your thoughts. Thank you!
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sublimed4
We are going to do the private Motu lunch and was wondering if anyone has done it and your thoughts. Thank you!
My wife just booked the same thing for our anniversary day the 24th. Pretty pricey but she really wanted to do it.
Sublimed4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.