Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by 747kona
Booked the Horizon Pool Villa coming up in a few weeks... is there a specific horizon pool villa number I should ask for? Like are any of them quieter or have a better view than the others? I know it's typically the case in the Maldives and other OWV rooms where within the same category it's useful to ask for a specific one.

Is it worth asking about upgrades to an OWV w/pool or is the Horizon Pool villa a good place to be? A pool is a requirement for us.
The ones at the top: 413 & 414 (both are with mini pool). The view is really incredible, so it might not be worth paying for the OWV upgrade.

https://tahitibycarl.com/bora-bora-resorts/conrad/

https://tahititravelplanner.com/wp-c...-numbers-1.pdf
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Thumbs up to the F&B breakfast, Pastry, Concierge & bellmen/cart drivers' teams.

The hotel has a new F&B Director, but most of the management team is scheduled to leave in the next few months.

What is also programmed (but that will take some months to start) is the refurbishment of the hotel and its most probable change of brand (that would be the 4th one for this property: Sheraton >>> Hilton >>> Conrad >>> ? ).
This being said, the owner has the Le Meridien (to be re-branded as a Westin) to finish, as well as a large project in Tahiti, the "Village Tahitien". Maybe, he has the financial capability to handle 2 projects at the same time.

For the new brand, to upscale the property, he could also change the management company (the hotel was originally managed by Starwood), but that would be a surprise.

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 20, 2023 at 1:25 pm
Old Feb 19, 2023, 4:22 pm

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by UASPG
Thumbs up to the F&B breakfast, Concierge & bellmen/cart drivers' teams.

The hotel has a new F&B Director, but most of the management team is scheduled to leave in the next few months.

What is also programmed (but that will take some months to start) is the refurbishment of the hotel and its most probable change of brand (that would be the 4th one for this property: Sheraton >>> Hilton >>> Conrad >>> ? ).
This being said, the owner has the Le Meridien (to be re-branded as a Westin) to finish, as well as a large project in Tahiti, the "Village Tahitien". Maybe, he has the financial capability to handle 2 projects at the same time.

For the new brand, to upscale the property, he could also change the management company (the hotel was originally managed by Starwood), but that would be a surprise.
I've heard rumors of this being converted to a Waldorf Astoria after refurbishment but who knows? I certainly would not have predicted Le Meridien to be re-branded as a Westin, so we shall see.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by wb2020
I've heard rumors of this being converted to a Waldorf Astoria after refurbishment but who knows?
That was the plan when we stayed in 2020. Then again a couple of weeks ago during our latest stay, our butler said it's still the plan but that it's taking a long time with lengthy discussions regarding the change in brand. No change expected for at least a couple of years.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by wb2020
I've heard rumors of this being converted to a Waldorf Astoria after refurbishment but who knows? I certainly would not have predicted Le Meridien to be re-branded as a Westin, so we shall see.
"Waldorf Astoria" is also what I've heard and that would be the logical choice if they want to charge more for their villas, if the owner sticks to Hilton.

I prefer brands like Le Meridien and Conrad rather than St Regis, Waldorf Astoria or Westin.

As a note, Le Bora Bora by Pearl Resorts, now managed by Relais & Chateaux, pleased all the guests that stayed there and that I met.

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 19, 2023 at 7:53 pm
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:28 am

Have been twice to Conrad Bora Bora (most recently in 2021) and am very disappointed in the new paid upgrade policy (not until two weeks prior for a September visit) and the overall change in the management of this magical place. Therefore we're switching to the Pearl Resorts on Taha'a and Tikehau for a change for our September visit.
seychellesbound likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 7:06 am

Programs: British Airways Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Singapore Krisflyer Gold
"Waldorf Astoria" is also what I've heard and that would be the logical choice if they want to charge more for their villas, if the owner sticks to Hilton.

I prefer brands like Le Meridien and Conrad rather than St Regis, Waldorf Astoria or Westin.

As a note, Le Bora Bora by Pearl Resorts, now managed by Relais & Chateaux, pleased all the guests that stayed there and that I met.
Le Bora Bora doesn't get as much chatter here due to lack of points relevance but I consistently hear the same - Nothing but glowing feedback.

I do enjoy the occasional St. Regis stay but also tend to prefer Le Meridien, Conrad, and particularly Thompson properties in general. Le Meridien Maldives is one of the best deals out there right now in terms of quality of product and service for the price.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by yakel
Have been twice to Conrad Bora Bora (most recently in 2021) and am very disappointed in the new paid upgrade policy (not until two weeks prior for a September visit) and the overall change in the management of this magical place. Therefore we're switching to the Pearl Resorts on Taha'a and Tikehau for a change for our September visit.
Le Nuku Hiva by Pearl Resorts is also probably worth a shot, although the Marquesas do not have those lagoon turquoise waters. The experience should likely be very different and more authentic.
https://www.lenukuhiva.com/en/
EuropeanPete and yakel like this.

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 20, 2023 at 9:17 am
Old Feb 22, 2023, 11:47 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Conrad Bora Bora = Remains One of Our Favorites

Conrad Bora Bora Nui

Map| 9 Reviews | 33% Recommended

Conrad Bora Bora Nui

BP502 Vaitape, Bora Bora PF 98730

Conrad Bora Bora = Remains One of Our Favorites (7 Photos)

Conrad Bora Bora Nui

We stayed a few times at Conrad Bora Bora Nui in the past and I reviewed the hotel but it was our first visit since 2020 so I thought I would provide a brief upgrade based on my observations of what has changed.  This resort remains one of our favorite anywhere in the world and since we are repeat guests we might end up being treated better which creates a virtuous circle.  Since the hotel converted from Hilton to Conrad we have now stayed a total of 54 nights which I thought might be near the top of their list but they informed me that another guest has a whopping total of 131 nights so our 54 nights is rather pedestrian LOL

Room

We stayed in a deluxe overwater villa for the entire duration of our stay and I did not notice signs of wear & tear compared to our previous visit.  The bathroom has been renovated despite the fact that last time I did not think it really needed it.  The color scheme of the bathroom in the deluxe OWV is now the same as in the horizon view villas with light colored floor tiles and walls in the shower instead of the previous dark tiles.  Another change is that Shanghai Tang toiletries are a thing of the past (but they are still used in the day rooms), now it’s Byredo.

IMG_7627.jpeg1_IMG_7629.jpeg

Service

Service felt even better than the past, in part because the hotel now has dedicated butlers.  We were in contact with our butler throughout the stay via Whatsapp and overall it provided a more personal experience than in our previous stays.  They might not have the same ratio of butlers to guest count than St.Regis for example (yet?) because butlers seemed quite occupied with check-in / check-out processes but it’s a step in the right direction if Conrad wants to upgrade the hotel to the Waldorf Astoria brand. 

We also found service in the restaurant to be very good with staff knowing our food preferences and sometimes proactively offering items off the menu.  For example we received a fruit plate straight from the kitchen on several mornings with fruits not available in the buffet, and also my wife received congee on the mornings where the buffet had porridge rather than congee.  It seemed also that pretty much all staff addressed us by name, even the recent hires who had not seen us in previous stays.

IMG_8021.jpeg

We received several gifts during our stay including a lovely 7-colored cake to celebrate our daughter making her way to Oceania which was the last of 7 continents she has travelled to in her short life.  This was a very nice gesture!

1_IMG_7621.jpegIMG_7660.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast was relatively similar to the past although there were a few differences.  They used to have some pork dishes but in 15 days we did not see any this time.  Despite that, there was more rotation of dishes offered than in the past, in fact anybody staying 7 nights or less might not see some dishes at all because they seemed to be spaced out by at least 10 days.  For example in our 15 breakfasts I noted the following frequency of “special” dishes: fish 1/15, chicken fafa 3/15, chicken teriyaki 2/15, and noodles 2/15.

While we love Conrad Bora Bora overall, for the first time we had a bit of a black mark during our latest stay.  The Polynesian dinner show has been downgraded in my opinion.  First off the price increased significantly from 14k XPF to 20k XPF per person but this could be chalked off to inflation.  The main issue is that the buffet is now much smaller than before for example there was no more crab, no more prepared salads, etc.  There was also no more dessert buffet and instead guests were served a bowl of fruits.  But the issue was not only the spread but also the quality.  Many dishes were lukewarm at best so I would question the new concept of all-day cooking in the ground which is part of the presentation done before the meal.  But to make matters worse all three of us got sick in the two days after the buffet so some items might not have been cooked properly.  So I think now what we pay for is mostly the show itself, rather than the food. 

Kids Club

In our previous stay my wife was pregnant so we did not visit the kids club but we made extensive use of it this time. 

IMG_7614.jpegIMG_7615.jpeg

Overall

Overall we had another great stay minus the two days when we were sidelined and we are looking forward to return again in the future.  To conclude, another small change I noted is that there are no more keycards at the hotel, now guests receive a colored bracelet to open the room door.  Out of curiosity I asked what the different colors mean and they are mostly to indicate the language of the guests (English, French, etc.), but one color is for Hilton Golds/Diamonds which helps staff to visually allow guests to use the premium beach.  Based on what I observed at the resort I was surprised to see no more than 20-25% of guests being Golds/Diamonds; I would have thought such resort was more elite heavy but it is not.  The lower numbers might help Diamonds and returning Diamond guests receiving better treatment at this resort which is my experience at least.

Conrad Bora Bora = Remains One of Our Favorites

Would you like to write a review on the Conrad Bora Bora Nui?

No, thank you.
Yes
49penguins likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
I Based on what I observed at the resort I was surprised to see no more than 20-25% of guests being Golds/Diamonds; I would have thought such resort was more elite heavy but it is not. The lower numbers might help Diamonds and returning Diamond guests receiving better treatment at this resort which is my experience at least.
Nowhere near your league in the times staying at the CBB, but it seemed that were we treated specially as a Diamond, but that this is no longer the case. Again they will not offer me a paid upgrade for a September stay until just two weeks before. This has never ever happened before; in previous visits either was upgraded to OWB free (2012) or for a decent rate months prior to our visit. They've apparently recently changed their policies, and my guess is the the number of Hilton elites has or will go down quickly IMHO. It's unfortunate for us because until this trip, this was our favorite place ever, but now we'll have to find a new favorite.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 12:03 am

Any chance someone is thinking about cancelling anytime between June and October?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 2:00 pm

https://loyaltylobby.com/2023/02/25/...2/?omhide=true

I am a little puzzled by this review. It looks like an advertisement showing only the positive sides (which are real) of the property, but the prices or required points are higher than the actual amounts for most nights in the next months.
Over the Water Villa upgrades usually come at a price, even for Diamond members.

Is it really useful to talk about a multimillion-dollar refurbishment, when this one is 6 years old, especially in a place where the climate requires frequent renovations?
The talk at this property is more about the next refurbishment than the past one.

I guess that the pictures and the video can help to give an idea of a villa in its original condition.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:38 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Le Nuku Hiva by Pearl Resorts is also probably worth a shot, although the Marquesas do not have those lagoon turquoise waters. The experience should likely be very different and more authentic.
https://www.lenukuhiva.com/en/
As you suggest, the Nuku Hiva is a totally different kettle of fish. Their in-house guide invited me to his wedding and I was invited home by the bartender. It’s an incredible experience for someone interested in French Polynesia rather than just wanting an Instagram shot of Otomanu.

Le Taha’a is a more probable substitute and fits in between, closer to the Conrad in style but a bit less American.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As you suggest, the Nuku Hiva is a totally different kettle of fish. Their in-house guide invited me to his wedding and I was invited home by the bartender. It’s an incredible experience for someone interested in French Polynesia rather than just wanting an Instagram shot of Otomanu.

Le Taha’a is a more probable substitute and fits in between, closer to the Conrad in style but a bit less American.
Maupita is also a very good value. I believe you can even take a ferry from Bora Bora too.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Alfonso904
Maupita is also a very good value. I believe you can even take a ferry from Bora Bora too.
I was repeatedly told that Maupiti is a small Bora Bora and I do not believe that the island has actual hotels, let alone hotels from chains like Hilton.
Those "pensions" and other B&Bs are probably best if mosquitoes do not enjoy your body.

It seems that the most "upscale" place, to stay at, is the Maupiti Residence. Not the same standard as the Conrad, but it looks like their bikes are in better shape.
https://www.maupitiresidence.info/en/index.php

Last edited by UASPG; Feb 26, 2023 at 3:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.