Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Old Feb 12, 04, 1:50 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Arrow Conrad Bora Bora {PYF} (formerly Hilton)

Posts older than 2019 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Conrad Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 1, 20 at 4:50 pm
Old Jan 2, 19, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by PirateJeff View Post
I was offered a 50,000 XPF upgrade from Pool OWV to Royal Pool OWV in June 2019.

Do you think #107 or #126 would provide a better mountain view?
I dont think you'll even see the mountain from 126. From 107 you'll see it through the channel
Old Jan 3, 19, 1:06 pm

Programs: NZ
Rolled the dice here for one night during a last minute trip right before the holidays (which is trough season in Bora Bora). As a Gold, no upgrade was discussed before or during check in (wasn't even recognised as a gold), and I didn't bother to call in advance (wasn't willing to pay as already did OWV at Conrad Maldives). Despite 18+ OWVs and the Horizon Villas being available, I ended up with a King Garden Villa, which was still a great room (large and beautifully designed) -- but I think those coming here for their first OWV experience and getting "stuck" with these might be disappointed.

I was originally going to spend 3 nights here but after 1 night decided to save the points as I found the Conrad Maldives and Conrad Koh Samui to be significantly better all around. Following this one night stay, I went to the IC Le Moana for two nights, and as a Platinum member, both nights were upgraded to an OWV without asking (Thalasso didn't have last minute availability, but I did take the boat there for a day, which I recommend for the views -- particularly at sunset -- which are significantly better than anything at the Conrad).

In summary, if you're gambling for a free OWV upgrade in Bora Bora, the Conrad may not be the best choice (perhaps better odds if you're a Diamond), though the IC Le Moana was fairly reliable.

Having now been to the Conrads in Bora Bora, Maldives, and Koh Samui, I'd say I'd be most likely to return to the the Conrad Maldives, followed by the Conrad Koh Samui, and wouldn't return to the Conrad Bora Bora. In the Maldives, the OWVs are more private, have better views, and all have plunge pools + if you're stuck with a "base" room there, the beach villas in the Maldives are far superior to the "land" rooms in Bora Bora. Secondly, the breakfast spread in the Maldives was significantly better than in Bora Bora. With the Conrad Bora Bora, while the hard product is modern and nice, the resort is otherwise quite small and boring, and doesn't have the iconic "Bora Bora" views. That said, if you do go, I recommend going up to the Spa for sunset views, which were very nice!
Old Jan 3, 19, 1:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by FirstForTakeoff View Post
Rolled the dice here for one night during a last minute trip right before the holidays (which is trough season in Bora Bora). As a Gold, no upgrade was discussed before or during check in (wasn't even recognised as a gold), and I didn't bother to call in advance (wasn't willing to pay as already did OWV at Conrad Maldives). Despite 18+ OWVs and the Horizon Villas being available, I ended up with a King Garden Villa, which was still a great room (large and beautifully designed) -- but I think those coming here for their first OWV experience and getting "stuck" with these might be disappointed.
Which room did you originally book? Garden view suite? Lagoon view suite? Garden Villa? If as a Gold you booked a suite, then expecting a several category upgrade to OWV would be too optimistic in my humble opinion. If you booked GV then you could have expected a Horizon View Villa, so I can understand the disappointment, but I still do not think in most circumstances you can go from BV to OWV as Gold, let alone from suites to OWV.
Old Jan 3, 19, 2:09 pm

Having now been to the Conrads in Bora Bora, Maldives, and Koh Samui, I'd say I'd be most likely to return to the the Conrad Maldives, followed by the Conrad Koh Samui, and wouldn't return to the Conrad Bora Bora. In the Maldives, the OWVs are more private, have better views, and all have plunge pools + if you're stuck with a "base" room there, the beach villas in the Maldives are far superior to the "land" rooms in Bora Bora. Secondly, the breakfast spread in the Maldives was significantly better than in Bora Bora. With the Conrad Bora Bora, while the hard product is modern and nice, the resort is otherwise quite small and boring, and doesn't have the iconic "Bora Bora" views. That said, if you do go, I recommend going up to the Spa for sunset views, which were very nice!
I have been to the all three and completely agree. While BB is a beautiful island, the Conrad is not the right place to experience it. The Conrad's in Koh Samui and Maldives are very close in my mind; Koh Samui has excellent food, beautiful views and a nice island to explore, while the Maldives is a very special place and the underwater restaurant is a fun, one-time gimmick. Definitely avoid the Hilton's in the Seychelles -- it doesn't even come close!
Old Jan 3, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Rolled the dice here for one night during a last minute trip right before the holidays (which is trough season in Bora Bora). As a Gold, no upgrade was discussed before or during check in (wasn't even recognised as a gold), and I didn't bother to call in advance (wasn't willing to pay as already did OWV at Conrad Maldives). Despite 18+ OWVs and the Horizon Villas being available, I ended up with a King Garden Villa, which was still a great room (large and beautifully designed) -- but I think those coming here for their first OWV experience and getting "stuck" with these might be disappointed....

In summary, if you're gambling for a free OWV upgrade in Bora Bora, the Conrad may not be the best choice (perhaps better odds if you're a Diamond), though the IC Le Moana was fairly reliable....
Eh, I think it goes without saying that your odds of an OWV upgrade are better as a Diamond, are there any data points ever of a Gold booking a base room and getting upgraded all the way to a OWV without paying? I'm not aware of any, and at any rate it would be a total longshot so I'm not sure I agree with any disappointment about not receiving a free OWV upgrade. I certainly didn't expect one the first time I visited as a Gold.

If someone is going all the way to Bora Bora for their first OWV experience, then I sure as heck hope they book an OWV, or at least agree to an upgrade price!
Old Jan 3, 19, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
Which room did you originally book? Garden view suite? Lagoon view suite? Garden Villa? If as a Gold you booked a suite, then expecting a several category upgrade to OWV would be too optimistic in my humble opinion. If you booked GV then you could have expected a Horizon View Villa, so I can understand the disappointment, but I still do not think in most circumstances you can go from BV to OWV as Gold, let alone from suites to OWV.
Booked the Garden Suite which is the standard room available for an 80k points redemption. What I ended up with (Garden Villa) is in theory a double upgrade. I was happy with the room, but can see someone who came all this was hoping for a free OWV upgrade would be disappointed. If you're after a free OWV, better odds at Le Moana, or book it outright at the Thalasso if you can find availability (which isn't impossible).

All things considered, I'm glad I didn't pay for the upgrade at the Conrad Bora Bora, but still got to enjoy the property. The OWVs at the Conrad Maldives and at the IC Thalasso are way nicer in my view, and those don't require a cash upgrade, making it an even sweeter deal.
Old Jan 3, 19, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Eh, I think it goes without saying that your odds of an OWV upgrade are better as a Diamond, are there any data points ever of a Gold booking a base room and getting upgraded all the way to a OWV without paying? I'm not aware of any, and at any rate it would be a total longshot so I'm not sure I agree with any disappointment about not receiving a free OWV upgrade. I certainly didn't expect one the first time I visited as a Gold.

If someone is going all the way to Bora Bora for their first OWV experience, then I sure as heck hope they book an OWV, or at least agree to an upgrade price!
Wasn't expecting one and wasn't willing to pay for one (had done OWV for free at Conrad Maldives), just wanted to provide a Gold data point during off season. Seems the Conrad doesn't hand out upgrades as liberally as the Le Moana, which upgraded me to an OWV for free without asking as a Platinum.
Old Jan 3, 19, 4:23 pm

Also an update on the Vaitape shuttle for those looking to arrive early in the morning. The first published departure from Vaitape to the Conrad is at 11am, though there is an inbound shuttle from the Conrad to Vaitape at 8am. I met this arriving boat at Robert Wan Pier at 8:07am and they were happy to take me to the property to check in / eat breakfast.
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by PirateJeff View Post
I was offered a 50,000 XPF upgrade from Pool OWV to Royal Pool OWV in June 2019.

Do you think #107 or #126 would provide a better mountain view?
Update: I was confirmed to room #107 . This was an all cash reservation and upgrade.
brodielayne likes this.
Old Jan 3, 19, 5:41 pm

Booked the Garden Suite which is the standard room available for an 80k points redemption. What I ended up with (Garden Villa) is in theory a double upgrade. I was happy with the room, but can see someone who came all this was hoping for a free OWV upgrade would be disappointed. If you're after a free OWV, better odds at Le Moana, or book it outright at the Thalasso if you can find availability (which isn't impossible).

All things considered, I'm glad I didn't pay for the upgrade at the Conrad Bora Bora, but still got to enjoy the property. The OWVs at the Conrad Maldives and at the IC Thalasso are way nicer in my view, and those don't require a cash upgrade, making it an even sweeter deal.
Curious what makes the overwater villas at Conrad Maldives nicer than Bora Bora, outside of the pool/jacuzzi? The OWV's in Bora Bora are much nicer and in another league compared to the villas at the Conrad Maldives IMO. So much so that the new owners of the Conrad Maldives are allegedly looking to tear down the water villas and start over. I do agree that one could get bored easy in Bora Bora relative to the Maldives.
Old Jan 3, 19, 6:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HHD, SPG LTG
Wasn't expecting one and wasn't willing to pay for one (had done OWV for free at Conrad Maldives), just wanted to provide a Gold data point during off season. Seems the Conrad doesn't hand out upgrades as liberally as the Le Moana, which upgraded me to an OWV for free without asking as a Platinum.
Seems like your most important preference is an OWV because you were happy when you got an OWV at the LM but felt a bit cheated at the Conrad when all they gave you was a Garden Villa (at least they didn't give you a one floor upgrade because that would be lame)

Now the Le Moana, to me, is a significant downgrade. The Le Moana's pool is one of the lamest pools I have ever seen for such a beautiful / higher end destination, is that all they can do? The Conrad's pool/sun lounges and bar/sunken tables and everything around it is gorgeous. The LM's villas all need to be rejuvenated but at least their base rooms are on the beach and steps away from the water versus the apartment style block of the Conrad.

We've been to Bora Bora twice, Maldives twice and Koh Samui once and would generally agree with you.

If you want social media envy photos or iconic Bora Bora photos then from the Thalasso is unbeatable. I would not go to French Polynesia for service or cuisine though. The positive is you can BYO duty free alcohol and have access the the main island for supermarkets, restaurants and off-resort activities.

Maldives have superior resorts overall and "being on a private island" versus those sharing motu / or main island at BB. Food does get better, so does service but I felt you end up paying more for it as well. Also you can't bring in alcohol.

Now Koh Samui, service and food is much better than Maldives but it doesn't have the same exotic ring to it like "The Maldvies" or "Bora Bora". People who don't know Koh Samui think it's just another not so expensive island in Thailand (and it can be), but then when you show them some nicer properties like the Conrad, W, FS, Banyan Tree and they see the prices - they're like woah, they're the same prices as Bora Bora / Maldvies.
Old Jan 4, 19, 6:50 am

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat
Indeed you received a double category upgrade; the GV is significantly better than the Garden Suite. I agree that someone expecting more as Gold would be setting themselves up for disappointment.
Old Jan 4, 19, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by brodielayne View Post
one could get bored easy in Bora Bora relative to the Maldives.
I am curious, why did you find BB more boring then the Maldives? In BB you have access to the main island which brings several kinds of possible activities whereas in the Maldives you are limited to the resort or around the resort. Not to say that I did not enjoy my stay in the Maldives, but I found there was more to do in BB.

Originally Posted by flyerni View Post
I have been to the all three and completely agree. While BB is a beautiful island, the Conrad is not the right place to experience it. The Conrad's in Koh Samui and Maldives are very close in my mind; Koh Samui has excellent food, beautiful views and a nice island to explore, while the Maldives is a very special place and the underwater restaurant is a fun, one-time gimmick. Definitely avoid the Hilton's in the Seychelles -- it doesn't even come close!
If we are comparing these three Conrads, the worst fit for the location is Conrad KS in my opinion. If going to KS, I would much rather stay around Chaweng; if one is looking for quiet and privacy, then of course Chaweng is not it, but why go to Conrad KS rather than Maldives if someone wants quiet? In BB the Conrad's weakness is that it does not have the mountain views, but the boat access to the main island makes it a decent choice in terms of ease of getting around.
Old Jan 4, 19, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by brodielayne View Post
Curious what makes the overwater villas at Conrad Maldives nicer than Bora Bora, outside of the pool/jacuzzi? The OWV's in Bora Bora are much nicer and in another league compared to the villas at the Conrad Maldives IMO. So much so that the new owners of the Conrad Maldives are allegedly looking to tear down the water villas and start over. I do agree that one could get bored easy in Bora Bora relative to the Maldives.
Plunge pool / jacuzzi which are included in the basic OWV in the Maldives, whereas at Bora Bora you need to pay for several upgrades. Also found them more private in two senses, 1) farther from your neighbors, 2) farther from the main lobby / restaurants (as you are literally on another island). In the Maldives I got a sense of "being in the middle of nowhere" in a way I didn't in Bora Bora.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: