Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2001, 9:24 pm

Free: If the property isn't busy, I think your chances are pretty good..

Re: The Palm... the price was high, and the food just wasn't that great. Appetizers were better than the main course. I will give kudos to the atmosphere though... thoroughly Hawaiian.
Old Mar 18, 2001, 8:55 am

HWV is fine.

For a bit of a change, I recommend taking
a taxi to the Mauna Kea resort for dinner.
[reservations required]

I recommend a sunset seating. Stroll the
grounds. Go back for dessert ... then;
if you are lucky, about 9PM, manta rays
sometimes gather just off the lookup. They
have floodlights on the water and the mantas
are indeed something to see.

-Doug
Old Mar 18, 2001, 1:04 pm

Just returned from 6 night stay....3 @ HWV and 3 @ Orchid. Both great but very different. We dined at Kamuela Provision Company (HWV), Huggo's, Roy's, Brown's Beach House (Orchid), CanoeHouse (Mauna Lani), and Oodles of Noodles. Roy's was definitely the best for food quality and value. It is also just outside the HWV. Huggo's was also good with a great view. Each of the hotel restaurants had decent food but were pricey. Got upgraded to an ocean view room @ HWV as a Gold...also had lounge access.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 7:46 am

> as a Gold...also had lounge access.

We spent ten ALON/award nites @ HWV in Nov.
During previous stays, I was provided HH
lounge access, but this trip our experience
HH lounge experience was indeed different.

Front desk said, "no." Both the Ocean towers
conceirge and HH lounge hostesses seemed
peculiarly uncertain about what to do. I
was provided access, but only after firmly
insisting on it. They would only issue a
cardkey for two days at a time.

I never did learn why the response was anything other than, "of course." A rather
odd contrast to our prior visits.

-Doug

[This message has been edited by dranz (edited 03-19-2001).]
Old Mar 19, 2001, 10:01 am

To clarify, I "assumed" lounge access. Never thought to ask about it from the front desk. The card key doors did not lock and I just took my family there in the mornings and once for the PM session. Never any question of who I was or whether or not I belonged there. As far as I'm concerned, the Gold rules are very clear that I should have access.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 11:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
When is the best time of the year to request a point redemption stay at this ppty?
Old Mar 19, 2001, 11:41 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
What do you mean by "best"? IME, the hotel is pretty empty during election week (no conventions) and the first week of school in September.
Old Mar 19, 2001, 4:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally posted by TX Travels:
To clarify, I "assumed" lounge access. Never thought to ask about it from the front desk. The card key doors did not lock and I just took my family there in the mornings and once for the PM session. Never any question of who I was or whether or not I belonged there. As far as I'm concerned, the Gold rules are very clear that I should have access.
Ah yes, the "Gold Rules" of Hilton. In 27 stays with Hilton as a Gold during 2000, I found very little consistency. In fact, most hotels say that they are franchises, and that the Gold priveleges are "guidelines"; that the hotel has discretion. Hilton Waikaloa was one redeeming property (pardon the pun); still, I've taken my business to Hyatt and Starwood.
Old Mar 20, 2001, 7:37 pm

Location: DTW- USA, NWA Gold, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond, Priority Club Gold, Marriot Plat, Hertz PC
I just returned from a 6 night stay (ALON) at the HWV on Sunday - First time to Hawaii - had an absolutely incredible time. This resort is definitely top notch.
The restaurants, as pointed out above, were on the expensive side, but I thought they were fantastic! I especially liked the Italian and the Japanese places (can't remember their names). I agree with the recomendation on Merriman's - great place!

The staff at HWV was extremely accomodating - one night at the Italian place, we were seated incorrectly (two different hosts tried to seat two couples at the same seat). I didn't care (of course after several pool side Mai Thai's who would ), but the host paid for our bar tab (had a couple of drinks while waiting for outside seating) and brought us a couple of appetizers on the house! That kind of service was found throughout the resort.
I'm 25, but felt like I was 13 at that place - there's great fun to be had - from the dolphin experience to the water slides...
We were upgraded to the towers level - great if you can get it - the breakfasts and appetizers are excellent!
About half way through the week my girlfriend and I started planning our next trip there - we can't wait to go back!!

Does anyone know of a resort that can beat this? I'm guessing that this is one of Hilton's best, but I'd love to hear other recommendations. Otherwise, I'll continue using my points on ALON - what a great deal!!
Enjoy your trip!!!
Old Mar 22, 2001, 12:28 am

We've been to HWV 6 times now!
A really wonderful resort.
Hotel/grounds are HUGE. 20-30 min walk from one side to the other.
Lagoon tower is closest to the health club, the big pool with water slide, the main entrance and the lagoon. Most convenient.
Ocean tower is way out; 20 min to get there and can't drive there; need to walk or take train/tram or boat (slow but romantic...). Fine once in a while but in and out of room 2-3 times a day and it gets old fast. However Ocean Tower is where upgrade rooms/Towers and lounge are, so you need to decide if you're HHGold (everyone is these days so you should be too); closer in at Lagoon tower or further away and upgraded room and amenities in Ocean Tower. We usually choose/end up at Ocean Tower.
Health club/spa is very nice and tennis is nice at HWV too.
The lagoon has some great sea turtles there so try snorkeling in it to find them. It's right on the hotel grounds (it's a natural lagoon and no waves etc).
Water slide in Kona pool is neat even for us big kids (and for my 9 year old too...).
Dolphin petting session/swim is kind of pricey but worth it (once); should reserve it weeks/months in advance though so plan it now for your honeymoon.
Roy's is best food bet IMHO, as others above say. Hotel restaurants are VERY expensive and OK/good but maybe not as good as should be for the price. Palm terrace is cheapest, with buffets, but even those are $35/person at dinner or so; the other hotel restaurants are significantly pricier in than that and the Italian rest. is probably the best in our opinion.
Merriman's in Kona is great.
In Kona/Kailua, last time there we took a raft trip for snorkeling/sea caves run by Sea Quest; it was excellent and I highly recommend it (about $60/person with the discount coupons you can find in any Big Island Gold guide; they're everywhere).
Drive to the Volcano takes 3 hours so plan it accordingly if you want to go there and hike etc; we think it's worth doing.
There's a good hiking trail to a secluded beach if you drive up as far north as the road will take you from HWV and nice scenery , so it's a nice thing to do on a road-trip day.
Just about the only nice sandy beach is up north from HWV about 10 miles at Hapuna; great for boogie boarding so bring one or you can rent them there even at the beach rental store/shop.
Finally, if you want nice shore-based snorkel beaches, check out a) Kahalu'u Beach Park (lifeguards, very popular, sheltered, sea turtles right there, 4 mi s of Kona-Kailua) and then b) the beach just 1/2 mi north of Place of Refuge (not so crowded but wonderful coral reef and very big colorful fish).
Not to endorse any one travel book but Ray Riegert's "Hidden Hawaii" book has been a guide for us in the past and it's been pretty accurate mostly so you might want to take a peek at it.
Have a great honeymoon and hope this helps!
Old Mar 31, 2001, 7:11 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hilton Waikoloa Village-DID I MISS SOMETHING?!?!?

Did not stay, but stopped by the Hilton Waikoloa Village. Nice property but it is in NOWHERE'S VILLE!!! Is that the point of this property? I am assuming that if you like to do everything on one property (activities,dine etc.) that this would be a good property to stay at, if not I wouldn't bother, the resort even isn't on the beach!
Old Mar 31, 2001, 11:13 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Sweet Willie, you sound like a spoiled teenager. I enjoy the Big Island for what isn't there...the whining shopaholic tourists that have ruined Oahu. Now they are coming over to the Big Island. Maybe if they are bored by the lack of fast food outlets, sandy beaches and shopping, they will not come back. I can only hope. The big island is the only Hawaii destination I have repeatedly visited. The B&B I stay in is great and I only go into Kona for supplies. Too bad huge trophy houses are starting to appear. I've heard Hawaii is thinking about limiting growth and tourism here before the big island also gets spoiled.

[This message has been edited by outoftown (edited 03-31-2001).]
Old Apr 1, 2001, 8:17 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
outoftown: I think you're misreading what Sweet Willie is saying. He's not saying the Big Island is not worth going to, but is speaking specifically about the location of this particular resort.

While it would be interesting to see stats on this, I do suspect the people who stay at Hilton Waikoloa don't venture away from the resort as much as those staying elsewhere on the island. Afterall, it is a destination resort.

Old Apr 1, 2001, 2:42 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thank you very much letiole!!! outoftown did miss my point. Why stay here when on the big island there are so many beautiful places to stay on/or much closer to the water that are more intimate?

Old Apr 2, 2001, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Originally posted by Sweet Willie:
Thank you very much letiole!!! outoftown did miss my point. Why stay here when on the big island there are so many beautiful places to stay on/or much closer to the water that are more intimate?
Wll, if we stay there it will be because we get 4 nights free from HILTON points so that my explain some of it..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.