Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2003, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Be careful. I was told by someone in the know that these dolphins are ex-NAVY commando dolphins trained to attached mines to the undersides of ships. If one of them tries to attach a large, plate shaped object to your belly while you swimming, it is just their way of having fun.

Seriously, I did a dolphin encounter type activity at a resort in the Carribean and it was great fun. I hope to check it out next week when we are at the HWV.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 4:59 pm

I just did the Dolphin experience last Tuesday and it was a great experience. However, a word of warning that they have just revamped the dolphin's habitat so in order to get them accustomed to it, they have modified all the programs so that they are only 1/2 the program. This results in about a 20 minute program but is only half the cost as well. IMO, it turns out to be a good deal since you're not paying quite as much but you also get to interact with the dolphins (pet them and talk with the trainer about them, give them signals to do tricks). They told me the only thing you don't get to do is put on masks and watch the dolphins swim underwater etc . . .
Old Feb 20, 2003, 6:20 pm

My family did the "Dolphin Experence" in November after reading all of the postitve comments on FT.It was the high point of their trip! It is still the topic of conversation around our house when any mention of Hawaii comes up. We will be in Hawaii in May and October and everyone wants to do it again. Well worth the expense.
I might add that I personally can not say enough about the young trainers. One member of the family is sight impaired and the trainers arranged a one-on-one encounter for the entire program. They ended up with their own personal dolphin. Highly recommend the Dolphin program.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Very nice touch. I'm on an award stay in March but haven't seen any tags yet. Doesn't matter to me...nice gesture on their part.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 9:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jss5200:
Are you Gold or Diamond and what tower are you going to request?</font>
My husband and I are both Gold. Honestly, I'm not sure about which tower yet. I've been so busy at work that I haven't had time to do my normal obsessive trip planning! (folder with printouts of all travel-related e-mails, restaurant reviews, etc.) I'm going to do a search tonight and see what the general advice is. I am not that concerned about where we stay as long as it's quiet and comfortable. We don't mind walking and would actually welcome a little exercise. And we don't plan to spend that much time at the hotel, anyway!

I will definitely try to post a trip report. I may even post an initial report during our stay.

I guess this is a popular time of year to go for HHonors members!

-Sabrina
Old Feb 20, 2003, 9:44 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
2 adults and 2 kids is the official max per room.
Old Feb 20, 2003, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz GLD
Hilton Waikolua Village, Hawaii

Hilton Waikoloa Village

Map| 4 Reviews | 75% Recommended

Hilton Waikoloa Village

69-425 Waikoloa Beach Dr Waikoloa, HI US 96738

Hilton Waikolua Village, Hawaii (0 Photo)

Hilton Waikoloa Village

Howdy, Just spent a couple weeks there, here's my story:

1. Checked in late, requested upgrades to suites (Both wife and I are Diamonds, each had a room for two weeks on certs (4xALON)). Was told we could get suites, but they would be garden view, or we could get diamond exec. floor partial ocean or we could get deluxe ocean view rooms (note - we needed connecting rooms). We took the deluxe ocean view - was the perfect decision. Got ocean tower - 4th floor - fantastic views. Bags were at the room before I was (by the way - I offered to pay the rate difference between a standard room and a suite to get an ocean view suite - no dice, they were really full up).

2. They offered either lounge access or breakfast certs for everyone. We took certs - again - lucky great decision. Some of us ate of the hot line, some didn't - it varied morning by morning - I think we paid less than $20.00 total. Great value - the breakfast buffet at the Palm Terrace was the best food we had at the resort (do NOT miss the cheese and coconut danish - they are truly world-class, I think - the best I've ever had).

3. We ate dinner at K. Provision Company. You shouldn't. Way, way overratted. I paid $34.00 for an overcooked, day old piece of Mahi, along with some overcooked brocollini. I would however recommend that you do eat the app. combo plate - outside - overlooking the surf at night (it's lit) - the food is good, the view is amazing. Hell - I'd pay to eat dog food for a table with that view (but not twice . Seriously - the apps aren't bad, the view is amazing. The entree's are poor at best. Desert is ok, not bad - nothing to write home about.

4. Took the back-of-the-house tour. Completly pointless. They take you into a hallway, and show you nothing. Talk to you for 20 minutes and out you go. Oh wait - my bad - they took us into the front of the employee uniform hand-out place. Big Deal. However - if Denise is leading the tour - Take it if you have questions. My s.o. had lots of questions - and she got them all answered, Denise was great - talked to use over half an hour. Was fantastic - we were glad we went on the tour and got to speak with her.

5. We did the family dolphin thing. I would recommend everyone do it. It's truly a once in a lifetime thing to pet a dolphin - we thought it was awesome. (My wife trains, shows and once in a while sells horses, we have lots of pets (however many you think we have, add at least 2 to that number. Anyway - she was highly skeptical. But - it was wonderful. Please try to turn a blind eye and closed wallet to all the crap they try to stick you with - it's really annoying to be nickel and dimed to death after ponying over $$$ for the dolphin enounter. (Note: I got a young lady to film our dolphin encounter for us with my digital video camera, gave her $20 - she was thrilled. Now I have all the digital still and video images I want. (Note: I requested at the desk no dolphins in my room, the request was honored - but I did purchase one later - they were cute.

6. Italian resturant - maybe if you don't eat out often in NY and chitown - you might like it. We laughed at the menu and after looking at what was coming out of the kitchen - we skipped it totally. We did get a couple of deserts and hauled them back to our room - wonderful with coffee on the balcony.

7. We loved the chinesee dim sum, the porch up there has a wonderful view.

8. Poolside we got drinks (have a lava flow - we all loved them). Hot dogs and burgers (my son) - expensive - but not bad, decent for what they are. 9. I loved the lagoon. My kid is 5 (non-swimmer), he was very, very safe out there playing. We saw lots of fish - had a blast. We rented a couple of boats - and he got to paddle around by himself (with me close, very close - both of us in lifejackets...by the way - we were the only two out there with them on. I was a SAR swimmer (USN) - only a fool goes out without a lifejacket. What happens if you go over, hit your head on the boat - you could be dead in a couple of minutes (ok - it's like 1/1,000,000 - but why not put it on??? /lecture off). Anyway - lagoon was great - we loved it. Fish, turtles, etc...

8. You have to walk. Ok, I'm on vacation - I was good with it. I loved the boats, son liked the tram - we thought it was all cool. Only drawback - if I was on business, I would most likely not stay here.

9. Spa - I loved the whirlpool, saunas, etc... (Nope - no 'treatments' for me.Not my thing. There were not a lot of attendents - but it was nice, I liked it (all complimentary).

10. Wife and Grandma had some stuff - they said it was ok (spa stuff, massage, facials, etc...) good - but not world-class.

11. Tip - get a couple of 'virgin' lava flows at the bar on the way back to your room, but the kids to bed and sit on the porch with your wife and enjoy your drinks watching the evening sky (and add a couple of oz's of good rum to the drinks - they pour light at the bar).

12. We played golf - it was fun.

13. We walked along the beach (all rocky - but fun).

14. Overall - the resort would be world-class if they polished it. It's just looking a bit worn down at the edges, nothing huge.

15. Saw whales every morning from our porch, sipping coffee.

16. I got coffee and spa soaps and junk refreshed every morning. Never used the coffee - got our own, Starbucks the first morning - various local blends after that.

17. Got lots of free waters.

18. Valet was great - always ready with my car (get a 4WD - we needed ours).

19. I stayed in over 60 different hotels last year. I have never, ever seen a better staff. These people were all friendly, helpful - just wonderful.

20. They have a lot of staff - they could use a few more - I think a 5% increase would do wonders.

21. Drive up to Hawi - have fish and chips at Aunties. I have never, ever had better. It was shocking.

22. Drive up to Hawi at night and eat at Bamboo - just do it - you'll see why. Best overall dining experience we had. Saw a stunning improptu hula show, best entertainment we had in the island (on a quality scale).

23. See the volcano.

24. Drive around the island - it's worth it.

25. Drive down into Waipio valley - it's worth it.

26. If your into it - ride a horse. Wife called around and found someone who knew someone who knew someone and we hung out with some horse people for an afternoon (there are tons of tourist horse tours offered - if all else fails - do that). (There's a big R judge on the island who does some breeding - nice folks).

27. Kings shops - nice place to stock up on some cheap souvineers, food, etc... (Island fish is good)

28. Recommend you drive up to the observatory - amazing drive (do NOT take kids under 21 - their brains are growing - and that altitude can be dangerous - no reason to take the chance).

29. Drive up to Waimea, Waikoloa - great drives. Some nice resturants on the way too. 30. We loved it so much we may go again - and we never go to the same spot twice. Yes, the resort is a slight bit run down - it's not quite as polished as it needs to be to be world class (rooms could use updating, and staff could use an increase). If you are taking the family on vacation - it's a great place. The resort is polished, perfect and plastic safe. Which is nice - because the rest of the island is rustic and wild - after driving up Mauna Lao - it's nice to come home to. Keep the faith, Pakse p.s. Please - if you have any questions - ask.

Hilton Waikolua Village, Hawaii

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton Waikoloa Village?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:01 pm

Howdy,

Just adding my two cents. We recently did the dolphin thing at HWV. Loved the dolphins.

Our trainer

This person was either:
1. An idiot
or
2. Dumbing it down us idiots

We never did figure out which.

We did the family thing, we loved it.

I hated all the nickel and diming they did.

Loved the dolphins, would strongly recommend everyone do it - it is a once in a lifetime thingy.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:05 pm

Howdy - addendum 1.

1. We like the Japanese resturant - racked up a serious bill and we don't eat Japanese often (5-10x a year, not counting soushi). Therefore - we should not be relied upon to judge it, although we would eat there again. (However - we did find some other much, much better places - japanese food is plentiful on the islands - best shabu-shabu and saki selections we've ever had).

2. Never saw a bug.

Keep the faith,

Pakse
Old Feb 21, 2003, 12:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
Great post Pakse.

We are heading to the HWV in a couple of weeks. We can't wait!
Old Feb 21, 2003, 5:38 am

My wife and I will be there from March 8-14 thanks to all of you helpful people here Flyertalk. I used all the info here and turned it into a free week of vacation. Thanks to all of you who posted tips.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 5:54 am

Yes...thank you, Flyertalk members, for the many free flights and hotel stays you all have helped me earn.

-Sabrina
Old Feb 21, 2003, 5:59 am

Thanks for the post! I've printed it out to take with me...I leave for HWV on Saturday.

-Sabrina
Old Feb 21, 2003, 7:46 am

Here is the toll free number for all of you going to HWV. Call 877-924-5656, then hit #4, then #2, you will be able to confirm your resv. and make upgrade requests. If you have questions please fill free to email me. Read as many of the HWV threads as you can. You will have a great time.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 8:51 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
March 21-23

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.