Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
To jump to the year in which you would like to search, please click on the desired years:

1999 | 2000 | 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 | 2011 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014

Better yet, please feel free to add links to what you believe are portions of this discussion with important information about the Hilton Waikoloa Village® hotel property.

Examples from a different discussion not yet updated here:
Please report any errors — such as broken links, for example — to the moderators of the Hilton | Hilton HHonors forum.

Thank you.
Print Wikipost

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Hilton Waikoloa Village {US-HI}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2001, 6:03 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's a very nice place for a honeymoon! I've seen a few there too!

We've stayed there on the Executive Floor with an ocean view. The Concierge folks were absolutely great! Many are there since the former Hyatt and I remember Mark. The property is generally well kept. The only small "problem" I recall was perhaps too many birds in the lounge flying all around and about on the food! Our family always can't wait to get back.

You'll likely want a rental car but the best place around to eat a fine dinner is nearby and that would probably be Roys' in the shopping center just across the way!

Best wishes to you and have a great time!

See also among other threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/000970.html
Old Mar 7, 2001, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Stayed there last year and enjoyed the stay.
Travelling to your room by small wooden boats (or monorail if you prefer)is different
Not much of a beach though but then you will on your honeymoon.
The resturants are OK. A few miles north of the hotel we had one of the best meals on the Big island at the Canoe House in the very nice Mauana Lani Bay Hotel.
I understand the Roys mentioned by another poster been closed.
Old Mar 8, 2001, 7:52 am
Suspended

We ate at the Waikoloa Provision Company and found it to be good. Nice outdoor setting if the weather is right. Ask for a outside table when you reserve.

Happy honeymoon.

Also try Huggos in Kona. Try to time it for sunset. Beautiful.

[This message has been edited by drtravels (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old Mar 8, 2001, 4:20 pm

I also stayed there on an ALON last year and they were fantastic. I had asked for the possibility of an upgrade (figured it couldn't hurt) and while they had nothing available the day I checked in, they actually called the next day to let me know we could move to the concierge tower. The room we had (right next to the dolphins) was in such a great location that we opted not to move. It truly is a resort property and as such, is very large. If you can't get on the concierge floor, I'd suggest asking for a room near the dolphins (sorry, can't remember the tower name) because it's conveniently located to a great pool, the workout facility and shops.
The spa there is wonderful and would be a great treat for you & your spouse...enjoy yourself!
Old Mar 8, 2001, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For a recent review see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum57/HTML/000994.html . Donotati serves excellent italian food in a very nice quiet setting. Enjoy the islands.

MisterNice
Old Mar 8, 2001, 6:25 pm

Thanks everyone for your great feedback!!!

I really appreciate it!!! I can't wait!!!
Old Mar 8, 2001, 8:41 pm

There are three towers at the HWV; Lagoon, palace, and ocean. The ocean tower is where the concierge level is, and the lagoon tower should be where the dolphins are. I recommend the concierge floor as food can add up quickly in Hawaii (I stayed on an award stay, and was upgraded). As for recommendations, Merriman's is excellent, ask the concierge they will know how to get there. If you go to the volcano make sure you have a full tank of gas, as a lot of gas stations close early. Snorkeling is also a great activity, as well as just lying around in a hammock. Have a wonderful time.

[This message has been edited by J0HN (edited 03-08-2001).]
Old Mar 12, 2001, 8:49 pm

The Hilton Waikoloa is great. Been there 3 times and going back in June. If you like swimming, sunning and relaxing, you can't ask for anything more. The restaurants are nice, but a bit on the expensive side. If Roys hasn't closed, the food is great, but go to the one by the warehouses near the airport. The location is strange, but the meal is stupendous. If you like hiking, go up to the volcanoes and hike across the crater. They also have a lave tube which is neat... It's a long drive to the mountains tho. Do what you can to get to the concierge level in the Ocean Towers. The breakfast is great and the people there are the nicest you'll ever meet. I've never been disappointed yet! Enjoy
Old Mar 13, 2001, 7:42 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Considering the hotels grounds, the Hilton Waikoloan Village is one of the most beautiful hotels I know. BUT: The management of the hotel is not Hilton-like, it is even worse than in most Interstate Motels. The restaurants are not very well, and there is also a lack of restaurants. There are not enough restaurants if the hotel is booked at 80%. Don't expect to get a table without reservation. I stayed there in August 1999 and I won't return anymore. Just an example: We had a reservation for 8 pm in the Japanese Teppan Restaurant. We have been late 5 minutes because the monorail we took from our room broke down and the doors could not be opened. When we arrived at 8:05 pm, they gave our table to other people and we had to wait 20 minutes.

The hotel is so-so. Grounds are spectacular, management very poor!

Muerz
Old Mar 14, 2001, 9:26 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I ate at Roy's two days ago. It's very much open.

Palm Cafe in Kona is the hot spot to eat at now. Make reservations.

Old Mar 14, 2001, 7:57 pm

I tried the Palm.... it was overrated...
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:01 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Any details? Or just too expensive or plain not very good?
Old Mar 16, 2001, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

This resort is absolutely wonderful. And I don't have very much good to say about Hilton, so this is a major endorsement! If no upgraded accommodations are available....and they were GREAT about it with us...ask for lounge access. We were refused for one day only out of 7, when the hotel was filled with golds and diamonds.

Regarding the restaurants....I have an objection to the dress code for some of the nicer restaurants. In five visits to Hawaii, I've found a very relaxed attitude about dress...a nice Aloha shirt and respectable shorts were fine. After all, it's HAWAII. The Hilton's restaurants insisted on long pants. They didn't get my food dollar.

Try the outdoor restaurant at the ORCHID AT MAUNA LANI, called "BROWN'S BEACH HOUSE". It's about a mile north of the Hilton and is ROMANTIC...watching the sun set, enjoying hula performances, and outstanding food.

The other recommendation for incredible food, views, and service is EDWARDS AT KANALOA, about 15 minutes below the airport, about a 30-35 minute drive from the Hilton.

Pick up "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Hawaii" which covers all the islands...it's worth it just for the restaurant recommendations, but is excellent overall.

Happy Honeymooning!!!
Old Mar 16, 2001, 11:52 am
BSL

Oh to be at the Waikoloa again.... Can't wait to have enought points to stay there again. Did my 1st anniversary there, could have easily done may honeymoon there too. Loved the double chaise lounges on the right side of the property (when looking at the water). Great for lazing the day away.

BSL
Old Mar 16, 2001, 1:09 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Yeah - I did it - confiemed my FREE 6 nights there yesterday as a GOLD VIP - what are my chances for an upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.