Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
"Bay view" rooms at the Conrad are a bit of fraud now cause they don't actually show you that much of the bay as they did when it originally opened. Many high rise buildings have been built in the last 10 years in area between the Conrad and the water, that now partially (or almost totally if you are really unlucky) block the view of the bay.

Even from the very top floor club lounge your view of the bay is still not a complete view.

The views from the Hilton Tokyo Odaiba show you a LOT more of the bay and the overall Tokyo skyline. From the Odaiba hotel rooms you can step outside on a balcony and can see most of the water, the entire rainbow bridge, the skytree, tokyo tower and a very long uninterrupted piece of the overall Tokyo skyscraper skyline.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
No, I'm saying that you went into your stay with expectations too high based solely on the happenstance that you saw that your room rate was $800/night at some arbitrary point in time. Again, a value comparison has to be made in context.

As I noted in the respective post, the issue with service at the Andaz is that the GM didn't even care. That shows a systemic problem, not a "variable".

Tokyo is spoilt for choice in the luxury category, but I agree that it's tough to pay more for other properties as the value proposition of the Conrad (as I've posted before in this thread - points for base rooms, paying for suites) is just crazy for Tokyo. I've become addicted to the specialty suites at the Palace but that's just a different price category, and my last stay at the Palace was less than perfect which has me looking back at the Conrad. Splitting stays among different properties in Tokyo is a great option too.
I would like to clarify. I'm saying the suite isn't worth 1k as per my review. You asked me why I am complaining about the price, well, I'm just saying that I've paid $600 for a room in Tokyo before and had a much better experience than I did with the suite at Conrad Tokyo. I might pay $600 for the suite as I have said previously. I understand that you like Conrad Tokyo and I agree that it is a stellar property, but it is a little older compared to the newer properties.

You had also previously said that I could get the room there for $600 through FHR. Did you mean suite? If so, that is a price I would pay especially with all the perks of FHR. If it's for the base room, I've gotten a base room there for less with advance purchase.

Last edited by NightFury1; Jul 23, 2019 at 5:01 pm Reason: Corrected some numbers
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by NightFury1
You had also previously said that I could get the room there for $600 through FHR. Did you mean suite? If so, that is a price I would pay especially with all the perks of FHR. If it's for the base room, I've gotten a base room there for less with advance purchase.
Yes, the king suite bay view as stated. FHR rate is just BAR so it's only competitive with member or advance rates with the 3rd/4th night free promos. With 3rd night free I've paid under $500/night all-in before, and the Conrad allowed repeating back then. I don't have all my folios immediately accessible but I found a stay from last year where I paid 68k¥/night all-in on an advance rate.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 7:32 pm

In that case, that's not a bad rate for the exec suite and I can see myself paying that. I still am adamant in my opinion that the suite is no way worth $1k though.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 7:02 am

Just stayed here for the first time using my free night certificate from the Aspire card. Service was impeccable, and probably the best I’ve ever experienced in any hotel. No upgrade was available as the hotel was completely booked (I checked the website when they told me that to confirm), but it all honesty the base king room was amazing. The city view isn’t great, but this is one of the biggest hotel rooms you’ll get in Tokyo. Room was very clean and bright.

the afternoon tea time was whatever, they have some ice cream, some tiny cakes and other desserts. Didn’t get a chance to check out the evening canapés, but I’m sure I didn’t miss much. Has breakfast at the restaurant downstairs and it was underwhelming. Very few options available, and super crowded as well. I tried the Hokkaido milk pancakes because people on TripAdvisor RAVED about it in their reviews, and it was probably single handedly the worst thing I’ve had in all of Japan. It was super dense and microwaved (yes I saw them unwrapping it from blue plastic wrap at the kitchen area). I have no idea how they even call this a pancake, and there are soufflé pancakes that are 1000x better so I’m not sure what I was expecting. What’s most concerning is probably the people on TripAdvisor who said it was good 🙄 probably need their taste buds checked.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I was trying to book an award at this property for early November and see no standard rooms available so can't do any point/cert redemptions. I didn't see any rooms available for points from today up to March and likely beyond that since I stopped looking.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:58 am

Were you signed into your account and do you have enough points to book it? If you don’t have enough points to book, it may not show you availability. Try signing out of your account and searching again
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: AS-MVP, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold
I just returned from a stay last week. I used points and was given an upgrade to executive city view room. My room was on the same floor as the lounge. I think this hotel is very nice, but I also found the breakfast to be underwhelming. The first thing I noticed was that service wasn't that great. It was not attentive at all. The food I had was good, but there wasn't a large variety. The executive lounge was very nice and the staff were great, but their offerings were also limited. Everything during the day was bite size including the desserts. The evening appetizers were fine and the lounge tended to be very busy. One of the things I struggle with is seeing people/families in executive lunges making evening appetizers their dinner when they pile up their plates. I personally find more use in a lounge when I'm able to get a drink, water, or coffee any time of day.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Were you signed into your account and do you have enough points to book it? If you don’t have enough points to book, it may not show you availability. Try signing out of your account and searching again
I'll give that a try.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by NW-A332
I think this hotel is very nice, but I also found the breakfast to be underwhelming. The first thing I noticed was that service wasn't that great. It was not attentive at all. The food I had was good, but there wasn't a large variety.
I agree with every part of this. The variety of food at breakfast as well as the service was very disappointing.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 1:44 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
I just returned from a stay last week. I used points and was given an upgrade to executive city view room. My room was on the same floor as the lounge. I think this hotel is very nice, but I also found the breakfast to be underwhelming. The first thing I noticed was that service wasn't that great. It was not attentive at all. The food I had was good, but there wasn't a large variety. The executive lounge was very nice and the staff were great, but their offerings were also limited. Everything during the day was bite size including the desserts. The evening appetizers were fine and the lounge tended to be very busy. One of the things I struggle with is seeing people/families in executive lunges making evening appetizers their dinner when they pile up their plates. I personally find more use in a lounge when I'm able to get a drink, water, or coffee any time of day.
There must be a downhill in Conrad Tokyo's service. When I was there in January, Cerise staffs wasn't the best to interact (like ordering coffee), but otherwise they're pretty efficient.
Given the price point ($450 in January), next time I might turn to other Hilton options in Tokyo (but not a big chance).

Last edited by antebellum; Aug 10, 2019 at 7:46 pm
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by antebellum
There must be a downhill in Conrad Tokyo's service. Even though my interactions with staffs wasn't the best when I tried to order coffee with them.
Given the price point ($450 in January), next time I might turn to other Hilton options in Tokyo.
I still really like the Conrad Tokyo and would go back there over the Hilton in Shinjuku. The room itself is nicer than most other urban Conrads I've been to.
IndyHoosier and antebellum like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I still really like the Conrad Tokyo and would go back there over the Hilton in Shinjuku. The room itself is nicer than most other urban Conrads I've been to.
As of now, it's the worst room among Conrads in Japan.
NW-A332 and antebellum like this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
I agree with every part of this. The variety of food at breakfast as well as the service was very disappointing.
I respect that we all have different opinions particularly when it comes to service (although I've never had bad service at Cerise) but it's hard to relate to an opinion that there's not enough variety of food.
The breakfast buffet has incredible variety. Better than Conrad HK. Below photo is just a fraction of their offerings, and then there's the a la carte cooked-to-order choice on top of that. Just croissants alone, they had 3 different kinds. For dim sum, they had 4-5 different kinds... sticky rice thing in a wrapper, shaomai, hargao, char siu bao. They also have various cereal, many types of cheese and nuts, traditional Japanese items, curry, salad bar (although I wish they had more interesting dressings), fruits, smoothie, egg benedict.

Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:36 am

When I was there, there was only 1 type of dim sum and it was empty for a while. I agree that there is a lot of food offered between the Asian items and western items. However, compared to Conrad Bangkok, for example, I didn't think that there was as much variety among the individual categories of food, like variety of pastries, variety of fruit, etc. The food quality was good and we ordered some things off of the a la carte menu. To get any kind of eggs you had to order them from your server, and that's where the service wasn't the greatest when we had to wait a long time to get coffee or to be able to order from the menu. It was just surprising to me that compared to every other almost perfect aspect of the hotel, the breakfast experience was less than perfect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.