Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by chunkalunk
Would that hold true even for 4 people in 1 room? If my wife and I are both Diamond, can our kids be each of our +1s? Or only if we book 2 rooms?
Probably. In theory they should allow 2 kids (4 guests) in the same room under the same reservation. This has nothing to do with your status.
Anyway, diamond breakfast benefit at EL or Cerise only applies to you and your wife (if both Diamond), which means it doesn't cover your kids.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the detailed explanation!

So I booked with 3 adults and got emailed promptly within 2 days from the hotel with the following info.

"Thank you very much for choosing at Conrad Tokyo.

In regards to your reservation, as redemption stay is only covered for two adults, therefore third guest needs an extra charge, it will cost JPY 7,500 (exclusive of tax and service charge) per night and includes the rollaway bed.

We have arranged it at this moment. if you do not need to arrange it, please let us know it before check in.

For your reference, please find the dimension of our beds;
Twin Bed : 1.4 M Width x 2.03M Length
Extra Bed : 1.2 M Width x 2.03M Length"

I'm going to to let them know about 2nd child just to make sure it's ok.

Bottom line looks like for my award stay, I'll be paying the 3rd person/rollaway fee (which is perfect for us, as older one would want own bed). And we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed on EL fees for the kids. If they want kids fees for EL access, might just decline. I believe there's still free breakfast I believe?
I am 70% certain that that 7500yen + tax/svc (ends up being ~10,000yen) will include that 3rd person's EL access.

The breakfast beyond the 2nd adult is theoretically only free if they have EL access, including kids. However, keep in mind the following:
- I believe kid's breakfast buffet price is cheaper than kid's EL access fee.
- Cerise could still choose to waive fees for kids' breakfast even if they're supposed to not be free.
- If your child is below a certain age (could be <6yo), then I thought the breakfast was free anyways.

Would that hold true even for 4 people in 1 room? If my wife and I are both Diamond, can our kids be each of our +1s? Or only if we book 2 rooms?
Only if you book 2 rooms.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:01 pm

I haven’t stayed at this hotel in quite some time, but rarely (if ever) does anyone restrict access for my kids when the family (4 of us) go to an EL. Same goes for breakfasts downstairs (my kids are almost 12, but could pass for 9 or 10). Do they really scrutinize EL access here (size of party), or is this discussion more theoretical?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by gvaughn
I haven’t stayed at this hotel in quite some time, but rarely (if ever) does anyone restrict access for my kids when the family (4 of us) go to an EL. Same goes for breakfasts downstairs (my kids are almost 12, but could pass for 9 or 10). Do they really scrutinize EL access here (size of party), or is this discussion more theoretical?
I have in fact been charged kids EL access fees before. They will tell you so upfront at the time of checkin. If they haven’t told me upfront, then I’ve personally never seen the charge added later / at the time of checkout, although others May have different stories about that. There was another time when they told me they normally charge it but will waive it as comp for not having the rollaway that I had requested. I have read anecdotes on here of people contesting the charges and getting them waived... I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that. These charges are justifiable under HHonors rules... if they waive it, it’s icing on the cake. The last time we stayed, the charge was never brought up. I hope that is a trend that continues.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn

I have in fact been charged kids EL access fees before. They will tell you so upfront at the time of checkin. If they haven’t told me upfront, then I’ve personally never seen the charge added later / at the time of checkout, although others May have different stories about that. There was another time when they told me they normally charge it but will waive it as comp for not having the rollaway that I had requested. I have read anecdotes on here of people contesting the charges and getting them waived... I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable doing that. These charges are justifiable under HHonors rules... if they waive it, it’s icing on the cake. The last time we stayed, the charge was never brought up. I hope that is a trend that continues.
thanks. I totally agree about the rules. Just often don’t see them enforced. This year will be first overseas trip in a while, so will see if US vs. International makes a difference also.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Stayed here recently ON A WEEKDAY as diamond....booked "king room city"
Got an "upgrade" to a "king executive city" on a high floor, but thats it...room looks like any other king room.
Was hoping to get at least a room with view to the gardens and tokyo bay...but my room was facing the buildings.
Quick glance online shows all room types available.
Is this standard treatment of diamonds ?
Should I have made more of a fuss checking-in ?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
[QUOTE=est-gratuite;31188065]Stayed here recently ON A WEEKDAY as diamond....booked "king room city"
Got an "upgrade" to a "king executive city" on a high floor, but thats it...room looks like any other king room.
Was hoping to get at least a room with view to the gardens and tokyo bay...but my room was facing the buildings.
Should I have made more of a fuss checking-in ?[/QUOTE

Hi Est-gratuite,

I stayed at the Corad for 3 nights ( 3-6 Jan) and checked in at the lounge . I had booked a twin bay view and was asked at checkin if I would be interested in a suite for my last 2 nights . I accepted so the next day I got the bellboy to take my luggage to storage in the morning and then went out sightseeing. when I cambe back at 3pm I got my new key from the lounge and the luggage was already put in .

The suite was a wonderful upgrade but on my own and being out of the hotel sight seeing for most of the day , the standard bay view rooms ( very large anyway for Tokyo) would have done me equally well especially with Diamond for lounge access

If i had booked a city view and wanted a. bay view I would probably have asked at check in or at the lounge.

The previous year (as a Gold) for 1 stay I was upgraded from an Executive City view room to Executive Bay view room but for another stay I was not upgraded ( a weekend but had booked a view room anyway)

I do not ask for upgrades and very pleased if one ( especially to a suite comes around)

Regards

TBS
est-gratuite likes this.

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Jun 10, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Old Jun 10, 2019, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Just since becoming a Diamond, I've stayed here ~5x or more now. I've only received a true upgrade 1x. Otherwise it's always "city king" to "exec city king" or "bay view king" to "exec bay view" which of course is meaningless for Diamonds.

It's really up to you to decide whether to raise a fuss. Personally, I don't. I frequently see foreign guests at EL trying to negotiate something with the staff upon check-in and clogging things up. I just think that's bad form. It's been said over and over in this thread that there's no harm in just asking. I can't disagree with that. But if you get a no, I wouldn't push it by pulling out your App with available room inventory and such. I never even ask for upgrade in the first place in Jpn, largely because I'm Jpnese and feel uncomfortable requesting things like that in Jpn. After a streak of many non-upgrades there, I admit I started to get frustrated. But they did finally upgrade us to a suite for the first time this past winter, and now I can rest easy knowing that I can be upgraded without asking if it's meant to be.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: 2.96MM DL DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, HH Lifetime Diamond, Marriott TE
My understanding is no. You can pay for access if all the same room but if you book 2 rooms the second gets the Diamond benefits as well for 2 people.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 7:45 pm

I have never received a real upgrade here either. It's the usual treatment for diamonds and is, really, a crock.

I'd ask outright for a suite and see what crap they give about why you can't.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:28 am

At the Conrad Tokyo I've got upgraded on point stays, but not on paid stays yet. The reason could be, that I book a standard room on points, but a suite for money, as the suite is much more expensive on points, but not when paying by money. Anyway I was always happy with my room/suite.

Btw: It's interesting how complicated the rules about travelling as a family of four (or more) are. In general there are not many hotels which offer a good room for four, if non of them is an infant. I've switched my stays with my family to Airbnb or non-chain hotels years ago and I've never regret that decision so far.

There is a lot of room for improvement for the big loyalty programs from my point of view. In general I've got upgraded quite often as a HH DIA or an IC RA so far, when I'm travelling alone. It's nice to stay in a presidential suite alone, but it's much much nicer to stay in a better room with my family. And nothing let my loyalty to a brand grows more than a good treatment for my family. To be honest I've learned to appreciate some treatments more when seeing them from my kid's point of view. I.e. my son is still happy that someone else makes his bed, when staying at a hotel.

Strangely I've got relatively less upgrades when travelling with my wife, my kids or all together. A DIA, who stays many many nights at Hilton properties shouldn't think about the costs for a rollaway or EL access for the few nights he stays with his family.
gvaughn and FlyingKansan like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Cynicor
I have never received a real upgrade here either. It's the usual treatment for diamonds and is, really, a crock.

I'd ask outright for a suite and see what crap they give about why you can't.
yes, demand something you aren’t entitled to, then demand an explanation as to why you aren’t getting what you aren’t entitled to.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by est-gratuite
As a Diamond, I was upgraded from a King Room City to King Exe Suite Bay Corner last month. So suite upgrades do occur.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader

yes, demand something you aren’t entitled to, then demand an explanation as to why you aren’t getting what you aren’t entitled to.
I assume English isn't your first language, but for those at home, "asking" is not the same as "demanding".
and listening to "you've been upgraded to executive" (no actual difference), is not the same as demanding an explanation. 🤦
Old Jun 14, 2019, 12:25 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
So, I finished up my stay here and I struggled to understand what makes this property worth the very high prices they charge here. From what I could see, the lowest category rooms here (once you add all the extra Japanese taxes & fees) never go for less than 55,000JPY per night and shoot up to 90,000JPY on Friday and Saturday nights.

My whole time here I was thinking...what justifies these prices ?

Just a quick rundown of what I found disappointing:

Views:
I have had better views in other Tokyo hotels. Even from the lounge on the top floor the view of the bay and rainbow bridge are partially blocked by other buildings. The breakfast area and rooms not facing the bay, have boring views...as you are quite close against another skyscraper. Just as an example the views from the Hilton Tokyo Odaiba are stunning in comparison.

Rooms:
The rooms are big...I will give them that, but they certainly are not the most modern anymore. No plugs/outlets near the bed. The walk-in shower I had was not that big. Views (as mentioned above) can be disappointing depending which side you are facing. Windows can NOT be opened for fresh air.

Upgrades:
From what I could see in this thread even simple 1 category upgrades are very hit and miss for diamonds here. I have stayed at all the other hilton hotels in Tokyo, and they all give much better diamond upgrades.

Apart from the nearby Hamarikyu gardens, I could not find anything that interesting around the hotel, in terms of sightseeing, shops and restaurants. Totally dead at night.

Breakfast:
The breakfast was nice, but nothing out of this world. It certainly is not a breakfast I will remember once a few days have passed. The Conrad in Seoul had 3 or 4 times more items on offer. And this is Japan...why is there no sushi on offer at a luxury 5 star hotel ??

Housekeeping:
More than once I did not get a turn down-service in the evening. Normaly I don't care about this...but at these high prices that is unacceptable.

Spa/swimming pool:
Nice...but again nothing amazing. If the hotel was even half full, the pool area looked like it would be very limited for space. The sauna/steam rooms won't accomodate more than 5 or 6 people at a time. The 4 very small warm tubs for a single person soaking jacuzzi style seemed just a bit weird....I prefer a more open style onsen.

If I was paying a more reasonable rate, then the above issues wouldn't be such a problem, but I can think of a dozen hotels in Tokyo that give you better value for money in many of the above categories for half the price. I won't be rushing to come back to the Conrad next time I'm in Tokyo, unless I get a better price....which seems unlikely.

Also...95,000 hilton points per night for this hotel is just too high.

sambo150 likes this.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jun 14, 2019 at 3:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.