Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Old Feb 12, 04, 1:50 pm
  #1  
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: grounded for now
Programs: some
Posts: 70,945
Arrow Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Posts older than 2018 for this OPEN THREAD can be found in the

ARCHIVE THREAD for Conrad Tokyo

Links to moved posts should still work.

Kiwi Flyer
Hilton HHonors forum moderator

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jan 2, 20 at 1:50 am
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 12:40 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 4,468
Originally Posted by shonanroger View Post
At check in they wanted to charge us an additional fee for the childrenís lounge access and breakfast, but I was able to talk them out of that.
Is this a new policy? I have never been to a Hilton property with EL where they charge fees to any legitimate member of the registered party who's either Diamond or staying on Executive floor. I don't remember this being brought to my attention the last time we stayed. But we just stayed here again, and indeed we were told that only 2 people get free EL access (we're Diamond). They said the lounge access is something like 4300yen per child!

You say you were able to talk them out of it. Is this something one can generally expect to talk them out of charging? Just want to know for future purpose. I wish they'd do away with this policy.
evergrn is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 12:57 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MCO, YEG
Programs: HH Diamond,, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Posts: 1,018
We stayed at the Conrad Tokyo with 6 people across two rooms (with two diamonds) in June of '16 and they never mentioned charging us for access.
On the other hand, on the same trip, Doubletree Beijing, caught me off guard when we arrived at 2 am and did ding me for access for two of us for the first night before I figured out what they had said (and we actually booked three rooms for this one). I ended up paying about $80 for Executive lounge access for one night and none of the six of us even set foot in the lounge except when we checked in.
farnorthtrader is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 5:24 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Sapphire, MB Titanium, WoHyatt Disc, IHG Spire Amb, HHonors Dia
Posts: 213
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
You say you were able to talk them out of it. Is this something one can generally expect to talk them out of charging? Just want to know for future purpose. I wish they'd do away with this policy.
Iím not sure if I would succeed again in talking them out of the charges. My main argument was that I havenít been charged this kind of fee before at any other Japanese Hilton property. The charges were than waived as a ďone time exception ď. For what itís worth, the whole discussion was in Japanese.
shonanroger is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 8:33 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Is this a new policy? I have never been to a Hilton property with EL where they charge fees to any legitimate member of the registered party who's either Diamond or staying on Executive floor. I don't remember this being brought to my attention the last time we stayed. But we just stayed here again, and indeed we were told that only 2 people get free EL access (we're Diamond). They said the lounge access is something like 4300yen per child!

You say you were able to talk them out of it. Is this something one can generally expect to talk them out of charging? Just want to know for future purpose. I wish they'd do away with this policy.
Policy has been access for 2, just like its breakfast for 2 for a long time. Just because almost all hotels don't enforce it, doesn't mean it isn't the rule.

I was here in August and again in September with 3 guests in 1 room and all got access with no extra charge. Though i was prepared to pay it if needed.
Force951 is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 9:23 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: SIN;CGK
Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Posts: 305
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Is this a new policy? I have never been to a Hilton property with EL where they charge fees to any legitimate member of the registered party who's either Diamond or staying on Executive floor. I don't remember this being brought to my attention the last time we stayed. But we just stayed here again, and indeed we were told that only 2 people get free EL access (we're Diamond). They said the lounge access is something like 4300yen per child!

You say you were able to talk them out of it. Is this something one can generally expect to talk them out of charging? Just want to know for future purpose. I wish they'd do away with this policy.
from my experience:
Conrad Singapore - bring 1 extra guess, no charge
Double Tree JB - 2 extra guess, charged, managed to get it waived
Double Tree KL - 1 extra guess, no charge
Hilton KL - 1 extra guess, charged, managed to get it waived
Hilton Bandung - 1 extra guess, charged, not waived

so really depends on the hotel's discretion
sandyph is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 9:49 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 4,468
Interesting. So it's completely random as to which Diamond guests Conrad Tokyo decides to pick on (ie, enforce the lounge access charge for 3+) and whom they decide to be lenient with? I was presented with this fee even though I'm a repeat guest. Maybe it's because it was a points stay. I also got no upgrade (understandable since the hotel was sold out), no early check-in (arrived at 2pm, allowed in at 3.30pm), best they could do on late check-out was 1pm and that was after repeat negotiation following flat-out refusal initially.

Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
Policy has been access for 2, just like its breakfast for 2 for a long time. Just because almost all hotels don't enforce it, doesn't mean it isn't the rule.
Lounge access for 2... is this a Conrad policy or general Hilton policy? I've never heard of this rule before. Or are you just referring to Conrad Tokyo?
evergrn is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 9:58 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 4,468
Originally Posted by shonanroger View Post
Iím not sure if I would succeed again in talking them out of the charges. My main argument was that I havenít been charged this kind of fee before at any other Japanese Hilton property. The charges were than waived as a ďone time exception ď. For what itís worth, the whole discussion was in Japanese.
I've certainly never been charged this type of fee either at any other Hilton property in Jpn or US or Hong Kong.
If they said "one time exception," then my guess is that's been noted on your account and they will probably enforce it next time.
My discussion was in Japanese also.
evergrn is offline  
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:13 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: SIN
Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
Posts: 1,219
Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll View Post
If booking (and paying) for 3 guests - which is generally comes at a JPY 3,750 premium compared to a 2 guest booking - Diamond benefits are extended to all three guests.
Refer to the above post -- I spoke to a hotel representative who confirmed if booking for 3 people, all 3 people get Diamond benefits.
Kilian Zoll is offline  
Old Jan 7, 18, 6:54 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,549
1 hour wait for the lounge this evening at 615 pm 7th jan

Hi,

this is my second stay in a week here and I will post a detailed commentary when I am back on my desk top but check in in the lounge @ 3pmtoday took 20mins as there was a queue and the agents were working hard (tomorrow being a national holiday in Japan)

at 615pm I went to the lounge for evening snacks only to be faced with a queue and was told the waiting time was 1 hour. I gave up and went straight to odaiba for dinner. A person in front of me was complaing to sn agent about having an appointment and one agent took him aside withvthe last time I saw him was by an elevator. After dinner I came back for a coffee around 9pm and there was a couple talking loudly on their phone (skyping I think) and also swearing occassionally.

I suspect breakfast tomorrow will be busy.

on the other hand my first stay was excellent

regards

tbs
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Jan 7, 18, 5:43 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Posts: 16,020
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,

this is my second stay in a week here and I will post a detailed commentary when I am back on my desk top but check in in the lounge @ 3pmtoday took 20mins as there was a queue and the agents were working hard (tomorrow being a national holiday in Japan)

at 615pm I went to the lounge for evening snacks only to be faced with a queue and was told the waiting time was 1 hour. I gave up and went straight to odaiba for dinner.
When we were faced with a similar situation, they allowed us to take food up to our rooms. Once they even offered to bring food and drink to our rooms for us.
hailstorm is offline  
Old Jan 7, 18, 9:40 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by evergrn View Post
Lounge access for 2... is this a Conrad policy or general Hilton policy? I've never heard of this rule before. Or are you just referring to Conrad Tokyo?
  • If you are an Hilton Honors guest with Diamond status, you and up to one additional registered guest in the same room will always enjoy complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge, even if your stay is not booked on or upgraded to the Executive Floor.
Hilton Honors MyWay Benefits FAQ's
Force951 is offline  
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:05 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 4,468
Thanks. I've never seen that webpage before. Didn't know that was the official policy. Have never seen it enforced anywhere else, although my travels are mostly limited to Jpn and HK.
evergrn is offline  
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:09 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,549
Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post
When we were faced with a similar situation, they allowed us to take food up to our rooms. Once they even offered to bring food and drink to our rooms for us.
Hi,

they did not offer this but this morning at breakfast and just now for afternoon tea it is a lot quieter and am just having some icecream as part of the afternoon tea after a morning walking arond ueno park (with los of panda related acivites in the square infront of the national museum including a panda bouncy castle. We are geting the first rain since I got here six days ago and leaving at 630am tomorrow for narita and frankfurt.

regards

tbs
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Jan 8, 18, 12:13 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Programs: United, Hilton
Posts: 4,468
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
this is my second stay in a week here and I will post a detailed commentary when I am back on my desk top but check in in the lounge @ 3pmtoday took 20mins as there was a queue and the agents were working hard (tomorrow being a national holiday in Japan)

at 615pm I went to the lounge for evening snacks only to be faced with a queue and was told the waiting time was 1 hour. I gave up and went straight to odaiba for dinner. A person in front of me was complaing to sn agent about having an appointment and one agent took him aside withvthe last time I saw him was by an elevator. After dinner I came back for a coffee around 9pm and there was a couple talking loudly on their phone (skyping I think) and also swearing occassionally.
That really sux. Similar story. I arrived just after 2pm and did not get checked in till 3.20pm or so. This was EL check-in.

From prior experience, I was bracing for EL madness at evening cocktail time. So we went ~15min before the start of dinner time. Only a few tables available then. 10-15min later, there were already people waiting. Don't understand why EL gets so crazy here. The lounge is way larger than Conrad HK, the hotel is smaller, and I never have to wait for a seat in HK.
evergrn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: