Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
Originally Posted by TTL
Described my picks. Granola, fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, sausages, and two types of bacon were available. Just not my breakfast but an omelette would have been. Indifferent service atmosphere hit me the most.
We can all have different experiences. I was there at the end of September. My previous visit had been 3 months earlier. I thought there were a number of staff changes in the restaurant but I recognized many at the front desk and in the Executive lounge from previous visits. I was greeted by the Bell hop guy on arrival, by the front desk staff and concierge on checking-in and by and two of the staff members in the EL as a returning friend.

I thought the breakfast was as good as ever including omelets without additional charge prepared on request by the chef on duty. I still rate it as one of the best Hiltons in the system.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I'll be back at the Bankside next week for work. If anyone else happens to be there at the same time, I'd be happy to meet up over a drink...
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Here on Christmas Eve, on duty Christmas Day at 0500 so early start. Got nice email as they seem to have worked out I was the one who cycled from London to Russia, and just seen room changed from Standard to One Bed Suite . Will report back. They used to give a nice stocking, hopefully again this year
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:06 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by gav0106
Here on Christmas Eve, on duty Christmas Day at 0500 so early start. Got nice email as they seem to have worked out I was the one who cycled from London to Russia, and just seen room changed from Standard to One Bed Suite . Will report back. They used to give a nice stocking, hopefully again this year
^ They obviously do know who you are Gav0106

Good news on the upgrade, couldn't happen to a nicer person, especially as you have to work on Christmas day...hope you have a great stay and a good shift.

We stayed a couple of nights a while ago and although we didn't get an upgrade, the staff were wonderful and made the stay another excellent occasion.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:10 am

Christmas at Hilton London Bankside

Hilton London Bankside

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hilton London Bankside

2-8 Great Suffolk St London, GB SE1 0UG

Christmas at Hilton London Bankside (7 Photos)

Hilton London Bankside

My usual night before Christmas stay.  Booked advance purchase rate King Room.  On check in advised upgraded to Deluxe King Suite.  Top level room only Penthouse above this.

Room was not ready but not an issues as went to lounge for some afternoon tea.

Worth noting they know how to celebrate here.  The whole reception is very festive.

Room

So room 557, facing the front of hotel.  Deluxe Suite means it has a small dining table as well as lounge area, bedroom, bathroom and guest toilet.

Nice Miko coffee machine, free soft drinks and snacks in bar.

Well styled and laid out.  

Now what stood out, is the customer service.  What a welcome!  They had done research and one of the staff realised I was person who did charity cycle from London to St Petersburg in Russia, some 3200km in 3 weeks.  There was a nice welcome waiting for me!

8B0E3471-9536-44D1-B2FE-4966D760CAFD.JPG

Some shots of room

IMG_2175.jpgIMG_2176.jpg1_IMG_2173.jpg

Dining

In the executive lounge a nice afternoon tea.  Some snack as well as 3 types of sandwiches, cakes and scones.  Good choice of teas and coffee.

IMG_2164.jpgIMG_2165.jpgIMG_2161.jpg

Christmas at Hilton London Bankside

Would you like to write a review on the Hilton London Bankside?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by BotB
^ They obviously do know who you are Gav0106

Good news on the upgrade, couldn't happen to a nicer person, especially as you have to work on Christmas day...hope you have a great stay and a good shift.

We stayed a couple of nights a while ago and although we didn't get an upgrade, the staff were wonderful and made the stay another excellent occasion.

Hi BotB thanks for kind words . Here now, and as you say the staff make the place! Great welcome and nice to be back. Shame I need to head off at 0500 . Will miss the famous granola everyone goes on about. All the times I have stayed here, never actually made breakfast!
Hope you have a great Christmas.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Excellent hotel. I stayed there a couple weeks ago. Friendly service, got an upgrade as Hilton Gold to the 1-bedroom suite. It's too bad it's a little bit further away from where I need to be, but will definitely return again!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 12:25 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by gav0106
Hi BotB thanks for kind words . Here now, and as you say the staff make the place! Great welcome and nice to be back. Shame I need to head off at 0500 . Will miss the famous granola everyone goes on about. All the times I have stayed here, never actually made breakfast!
Hope you have a great Christmas.
Hopefully one day mate you will get to try the famous granola, it really is " off the scale" amazing , glad you are enjoying your stay and thanks for the reports.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Great for Diamonds, not so great for the rest of us...

Originally Posted by TTL
Do not hold your breath. In one year things have changed. The enthusiasm of the staff seems to have gone and there appears to be a significant turnover rate as well.

Sent an e-mail week before my current stay to ask for a twin room instead of a king room as my nephew wanted to visit London. No reply ever. Called in 3 days before the stay and the lady with very snappy tone told that it would cost me more. I then mentioned that a diamond guest can have another person staying in the same room for free. A twin room was arranged - deluxe from 7th floor with free refreshments (one orange juice, two bottles of water, and one Coca Cola). Check in 10:30 AM was allowed.

Check in lady mentioned that it was my 15th stay in the property. The welcome gift was a small metal jar filled with hard candy. Unimpressive.

As my meetings last often till late and I am not able to enjoy the EL, I went to front desk asking for a drink chit. The fellow told he would have to ask from his superior and asked me to sit down and wait. Actually he went to loo and came back a moment later just to tell that I can have as many drinks in the Distillery Bar as I wish - as long as I pay them myself. 16 pounds for a gin and tonic seems kind of steep. But there is a Tesco and Sainsbury's right outside the front door of hotel for thirsty and stingy customers.

First morning had the breakfast at main restaurant. No complaints, friendly faces, friendly service, coffee brought to table, and sufficient selection. Did not bother the chef, but what I recall from earlier stays, omelettes and extras were to be paid separately. Second morning tried the EL breakfast around 7 AM. Two members of staff there replenishing the scarce offerings, no good morning, no offer to order anything. Self service coffee, croissants, cold cuts, cheese, and yogurt it was.

Edge lost, but still a good choice among London Hiltons if the price is right (seldom nowadays).
It seems like Diamond members are treated like Royalty here while the rest of us (including Gold's like me) are just the paupers. Stayed here in early December and while I liked the modern design of the hotel and rooms, I was not impressed by the service or amenities. Even staying on a "quiet" weekend, I was told that no upgrade to the "lounge" level were available for me which meant no lounge benefits. I was told that the hotel is generally 95% occupied so if you want your elite benefits, I'd suggest going somewhere else unless you REALLY need to be in this area (there's not much nightlife within a short distance so it's primarily business or Tate Modern visitors). For reference, I'm told that Gold's have a "lounge" benefit during the week from Sunday evening to Thursday evening which basically involves them going to a segregated area of the restaurant where they are offered drinks (don't know if they're alcohol or free or what). Also, you are supposed to get 50% off food items during the "lounge" hours (although if you had my experience with the staff, good luck!)-----I don't believe that Gold's get access to the Executive Lounge as this was not indicated to me.

Front desk staff was hit or miss for me----I always got a good morning or welcome back when I entered the lobby but other than Isabel at the front desk, there was no genuine warmth or willingness to assist. The rooms are quite large----more American style than European and quite comfy. Bathroom amenities are the standard Hilton Peter Roth which I don't find to be a luxury or high-end offering. Housekeeping and security staff were excellent. Where I fault them was the restaurant staff which I found to be aloof, lazy and definitely not attentive. I had breakfast there several times and after they bring you the coffee/juice, they basically disappear----sometimes physically but even when they're standing right in front of you, they neither offer to refill drinks (you can use the coffee machine or go get your own juice) nor ask if you need anything. The chefs making the made-to-order items are the friendliest staff in the room. It doesn't get better in the evening as I sat for 10 minutes watching servers standing around like deers in headlights while not one of them came to take my order. Worse was when I witnessed a manager ask a server (happened to be mine, an older gentleman who disappeared for most of my meal) to go assist a table that had just been seated. The server was pretending to clear a table (that wasn't his) and loudly complained to the manager that he was busy. Really???

I had a choice between staying at the Conrad or the Bankside during my stay and chose Bankside because it was a newer hotel and in a less touristy location. I realize now that I probably made a mistake based on the service and lack of Gold benefits at this property.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:11 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Happy Diamond stay

Probably my 5th or so stay since opening. As a Diamond had an upgrade in the app the night before to Deluxe, on the day to Executive. I did e-checkin and a room had been preassigned for me. Upon arrival I was upgraded to a One Bedroom Suite - without asking. A nice welcome.

Hotel was fairly quiet, I noted that they have now removed the free water bottles from the pool area. but I had full free use of the generous non-alcoholic selection from the minibar. The really nice orange juice they used to stock has been replaced by a cheaper alternative unfortunately.

Suite was fine, but no welcome gift (possibly due to upgrade at checkin) and no evening turndown service.

Breakfast was taken in restaurant, and seemed to be as I remember it - all good and happy.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:46 am

We had a good stay, a couple of odd little kinks, but nothing too bad. One that I really should have taken initiative to fix and kick myself for not doing so.

We were definitely not treated like royalty as diamonds, but not bad by any means. I have no complaints. For a long stay like ours, I think we made out just fine.

Arrived early from an overnight flight, they checked us right in. No big upgrade but we were there for six nights so I understand. Really liked the décor, staff was very friendly to us, had dinner at the restaurant the first night since we were so tired and it was great. We were both totally fine with the breakfast each morning and I did make myself a yogurt parfait with the epic granola most mornings. I am a big fan of yogurt and granola in general so I liked it a lot. Warm offerings as well every day. Comfy lounge. The area of town was pretty quiet. I know my way around London reasonably well so it was no issue to have to walk a little. Loved having M&S so close.

The downside of the whole trip... I got sick. Had NOTHING to do with the hotel, I picked up something while we were out and ended up horribly sick for most of the trip and barely made it to our next two destinations. The night it hit me, I was in so much pain trying to swallow and one of the front desk staff helped my bf find a shop that was open at 4am to get me some lozenges. He actually walked him there which was really nice as it was down a few streets and a small place. So this is a huge plus on the side of service. We were in need and they did everything they could to help. I would not have been able to sleep without the lozenges so I was very thankful.

The downside that did have something to do with the hotel but I really don't know how to fault it... weird smell. Our room started to develop this odd, vegetable odor. I have never smelled anything like it before that I can place and it was in part of the hall as well. I really wish I had asked to move us, but I was really struggling through the days of trying to enjoy a trip and being really sick. By the time the smell showed up, we were already well settled in the room after 3 or 4 days and I just didn't have the energy to move. My bf offered to pack up everything and move us if they could find a room but I was just being a sick grump. Still have no idea where the smell came from and it did get stuck our clothes and luggage. Ew. I thought it may have been something stuck to the bottom of the trash can or something so we washed it. No luck. Checked under everything. No luck again. My fault, I should have asked to move and let them sort it out. If you are there and get the weird smell... MOVE. It will stay with you. Someone previously in the room must have dropped something somewhere or left something we couldn't find. It was really weird.

Other tiny downside that did get fixed easily... I was charged for a very different nightly rate than I booked. I noticed it quickly as it was like three times the price I agreed to. They did have to research and have the manager get back to me, but it was resolved in a couple of hours and management was very friendly. I didn't even have to call or anything, just a few emails and a screenshot of the reservation and I was fine. So just a little hiccup. Nothing lastingly bad.

We did like the hotel a lot over all. I was enamored by the foxes all over the place. I would definitely stay there again. I do really like trying out different areas of London every time I visit, though.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
Probably my 5th or so stay since opening. As a Diamond had an upgrade in the app the night before to Deluxe, on the day to Executive. I did e-checkin and a room had been preassigned for me. Upon arrival I was upgraded to a One Bedroom Suite - without asking. A nice welcome.

Hotel was fairly quiet, I noted that they have now removed the free water bottles from the pool area. but I had full free use of the generous non-alcoholic selection from the minibar. The really nice orange juice they used to stock has been replaced by a cheaper alternative unfortunately.

Suite was fine, but no welcome gift (possibly due to upgrade at checkin) and no evening turndown service.

Breakfast was taken in restaurant, and seemed to be as I remember it - all good and happy.
All the juice in the lounge has been downgraded. Smoothies have gone. Prosecco changed.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer

The welcome gift last night was 3 apples- didnt miss much!
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:44 pm

Now what stood out, is the customer service. What a welcome!

Wow - we spent christmas in the penthouse suite and got......................nothing at all. All rooms in the hotel got a stocking on Christmas Eve.

Last edited by Barnaby100; Jan 23, 2018 at 12:55 pm
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
When in London I often stay at the Conrad, but for this summer prices at the Bankside are literally less than half the price of the Conrad

Seems like a no-brainer to stay here instead, for a 4 night stay I have planned in June

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.