Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2019] Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Hi all-
I'll be staying at the Bankside this coming weekend with my family. After all of the very positive comments recently about the property, I'm very excited to check it out. When travelling with kids, it can be helpful to have some dining options close to the hotel. I've never stayed in this part of London before, so am unfamiliar with the food options (except for Borough Market). I'd appreciate hearing about favorite eating spots within a reasonable (~15 min) walk of the Bankside. Thanks in advance!
A bit late to the party, but our favourites are Tas Pide by the Globe, and Mercarto Metropolitano. The latter is about 15 mins walk toward Elephant and Castle.

At Bankside this weekend, after a day at the Pete McKee exhibition at the old Trumans Brewery, followed by Twelfth Night at the National before Adam Kay at the Soho Theatre...busy day. Hope we get a table in the Exec Lounge...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:38 pm

Exec lounge for HH Gold members?

It seems unlikely for Hilton Honors Gold members to get complimentary access to the executive lounge here. Is that correct? I wonder if some Golds could respond with their experiences here. Are there other central London properties which are more generous with providing lounge access? Thank you.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:58 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by ejay
It seems unlikely for Hilton Honors Gold members to get complimentary access to the executive lounge here. Is that correct? I wonder if some Golds could respond with their experiences here. Are there other central London properties which are more generous with providing lounge access? Thank you.
Wembley, Canary Wharf at the weekend, Islington, Tower of London, Tower Bridge

Not Waldorf
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Felt like Kensington allowed Golds into the EL. It was always busy.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Back from my tour of various Hiltons in the UK, including three nights at the Bankside, where my family was booked into 2 rooms. My stay there was quite good, though with a few blemishes...

On the good side, I definitely concur that the exec lounge here is excellent. Much better than what I experienced at the Conrad and Waldorf, in terms of variety, quality, and staff. Over the four days I was at the property, I was able to partake of breakfast, afternoon snacks, and evening snacks on various days. Breakfast was outstanding, and the granola is definitely superior to any I've had at a hotel. If you've read my reviews of other hilton properties in London, I've been quite dismayed with their espresso drinks-- the Bankside lounge espresso was a definite step up. The evening food/cheese selection was quite extensive, and the range of alcoholic drinks was quite good (although the quality of the whiskey was a bit lower than at Conrad and Waldorf).

We had two (connecting rooms), one of which was an exec and one of which wasn't. As such, I can definitely attest to the differences in the minibar- the exec room had complimentary offerings of water, several kinds of juice, two chocolate bars, and gummi bears. The non-exec room had water and one bottle of juice. I thought both rooms were well furnished, comfortable, and well kept. The exec room was on a corner of the property, and featured a small "office" nook in the very corner of the property, with a comfy chair and a small writing table.

I liked the location of the property for variety from my usual haunts. We quite enjoyed walking along the river in the evenings, and took advantage of the proximity to borough market to pick up snack foods. I was surprised at the number of lively bars and restaurants in the area, and wished I had more time to try them out.

Staff at the hotel was uniformly friendly, though not completely on top of things. As an example, my wife went to buy tickets from the concierge and was told to come back later to pick them up; when we went back, a different concierge told us the first one had been too busy to deal with our tickets, but also hadn't passed the details along, so we had to repeat the process. A request to housekeeping for foam pillows instead of the feather ones in the room resulted in the delivery of additional feather pillows... No big deal, but just a little unpolished. In contrast, the lounge staff were outstanding. They recognized us after our first visit, and were very attentive to our needs. I've been in a lot of lounges at both Hiltons and Marriotts, and found the staff at Bankside to be some of the very best I've encountered anywhere.

The one blemish on my stay involved the a/c in one of the rooms. London was actually quite warm during our visit (!) and on the first night of our stay, we walked in to find one of our two connecting rooms was significantly hotter than the other, despite both being set at the same temp. A call to the front desk produced an engineer, who first told me that nothing was wrong, then agreed something might be wrong, and eventually (after an hour and 3 visits to the room), said the thermostat was broken. I asked the front desk if we could switch rooms and was told there were none available. The engineer came up with some method of fixing the temp at a specified setting from the "main computer." I though this was a reasonable work-around but was a bit worried that, at some point during our stay, housekeeping or the engineering staff would reset the thermostat and it would stop working again. Both the engineer and front desk assured me that this wouldn't happen. Of course, (you can see this coming)-- during the middle of the night on our last night, someone reset the temp, and the room got extremely hot, waking me up and keeping me from getting back to sleep... I brought it up with the front desk in the morning, and they weren't terribly sympathetic (the only comment was that they'd send someone to fix it after we checked out). I stay in enough properties to know that stuff sometimes breaks and the hotel can't always solve the problem right away-- in retrospect, I should have either insisted they fix it on the second day of our stay or gotten them to give us different rooms (rooms of each category were showing available on the app during our entire stay), rather than trusting to the work-around. In either case, it did detract a bit from the experience, which otherwise would likely have resulted in a very glowing review.

Overall, though, I did like the Bankside better than the Conrad and the Waldorf, even when you take cost out of the equation. Factoring in the price, I think it is the best hilton property in London out of the ones I've tried (which seem to be the most popular ones on flyertalk). I'm very likely to stay here again on my next trip, though I'll be sure to ask in advance that they give me a room with a functioning a/c
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:27 am

Just idling around deciding when to head off to the Ropewalks after our latest one nighter at Bankside. No Diamond status upgrade, so no gummi bears and the rate has no restaurant breakfast so Exec lounge it is.

Due to timing on a busy schedule we were first into the Exec lounge last evening and for about 10 minutes had the place to ourselves. Hot snacks were chicken pieces and bhaji (the latter was great) and the staff were attentive. When we left 90 minutes later at 7 to make our way to Soho the place was almost completely full.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by Pjh104
...No Diamond status upgrade, so no gummi bears and the rate has no restaurant breakfast so Exec lounge it is...
I've never had any trouble taking breakfast in the restaurant on a room-only rate here. My last visit was a few months ago, but staff were happy then to let diamonds have breakfast in either venue... not that it matters, since they'll fetch anything you'd like in the lounge from the kitchen/restaurant next door!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:25 am

My wife and I stayed here this weekend. While I enjoyed the stay I do feel that it is possibly overhyped on FT.

We had booked a king Guestroom and received an upgrade to Delux. Nice but honestly what are the differences between rooms apart from a couple of small soft drinks in the fridge?

As a Gold we didn't get access to the EL which was fine as we were out most of the day and then at the theatre in the evening. The Distillery had a nice atmosphere when we returned and could easily see that a visit to the EL and then sampling the selection of G&T's at the bar could be a fun night out.

Breakfast was nice but not outstanding. The Granola did get rave reviews from MrsS.

For no apparent reason I had possibly my worst night's sleep here for months. This was then not helped when housekeeping let themselves into the room at 8.30 and woke me up! On this note why do they do this? I didn't have a DND sign on the door but even so I was checking out that day and they could easily find out if I was still resident. Even if we'd been at breakfast they'd still have needed to come back later..

So overall a nice stay but nothing exceptional. I really like the Southbank/ Bankside area so I'll definitely be back but maybe I was expecting more after reading the rave reviews here!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
I've never had any trouble taking breakfast in the restaurant on a room-only rate here. My last visit was a few months ago, but staff were happy then to let diamonds have breakfast in either venue... not that it matters, since they'll fetch anything you'd like in the lounge from the kitchen/restaurant next door!

For what it is worth, when I checked in last week, I asked if we could eat in the restaurant rather than in the lounge. The staffer who checked me in told me that they would deduct 750 hhonors points if I ate in the restaurant rather than the lounge. This made no sense to me (I thought she might have confused diamond benefits with gold benefits), but we went over to the lounge and the family liked the lounge breakfast enough that we didn't bother asking about it again.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by diamond club freeloader
They were very firm in telling us that if we wanted to eat breakfast in the restaurant it would be extra. Didn't know that they'll fetch you something from the kitchen. I hate scrambled eggs with a passion, and would prefer poached or fried.

On the upside they have, glory be, a proper toaster and not one of those stupid conveyor jobs that warm the bread on one pass and burn it at two...

Originally Posted by simonspear
For no apparent reason I had possibly my worst night's sleep here for months. This was then not helped when housekeeping let themselves into the room at 8.30 and woke me up! On this note why do they do this? I didn't have a DND sign on the door but even so I was checking out that day and they could easily find out if I was still resident. Even if we'd been at breakfast they'd still have needed to come back later..
!
I noticed them doing that this morning. I too don't understand why, but we always put the DND sign and put the latch on.

I forgot to mention the half shell chocolate egg with some rather pleasant mini eggs and chocolate biscuit crumb that was in the room when we arrived.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:56 am

As a diamond we eat breakfast either in the lounge or the restaurant or more often don't both with either. Never had a problem or been charged. 70 odd stays.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by ejay
I'm a Gold member... Stayed for 7 nights last week, no complimentary access to exec lounge. Traveled to Edinburgh for the weekend and returned back to Hilton Bankside tonight for the last two nights of our vacation. Still no upgrade w/access to lounge.

However, we did get pretty good rates (average 150 GBP per night), so I can't complain. Free breakfast, and as everyone else has stated - excellent service.

Bottom line - highly recommended!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Pjh104
They were very firm in telling us that if we wanted to eat breakfast in the restaurant it would be extra. Didn't know that they'll fetch you something from the kitchen. I hate scrambled eggs with a passion, and would prefer poached or fried.

You didn't miss out on much, the cooked to order eggs (esp the Omelettes and scrambled eggs) aren't that good quality (taste strange), the juices are commercial (not tasty). I got tired of the breakfast after 2 days.

The service in the restaurant for breakfast was mostly slow, slow tea refils, missing milk etc etc (this is nothing new, I've read similar complaints on Tripadvisor at least a year ago).

Overall the hotel is not too bad, although some of the furnishings/renovation style isn't great.
Old May 6, 2017, 1:29 am

Programs: points traveller
is the comp breakfast for gold only continental, or do they allow access to the buffet (free or an add on charge)? staying this week
Old May 6, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club refugee: BA-Br; HH-D
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
is the comp breakfast for gold only continental, or do they allow access to the buffet (free or an add on charge)? staying this week
Can't give you a definitive answer as only ever stayed here while diamond, but given the restaurant layout I would be surprised if they bothered to try to implement a continental-only offering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.