Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Hoping someone can help me. I was advised that the $250 resort credit also applied to the room rate.

I recently stayed at:

Hilton Oak Brook Hills Resort near Chicago with Golf

For 2 nights. I prepaid for the cost of the room in January and the charge posted as HILTON ADVANCED PURCHASE

When I stayed at the actual property, I had around $28 in dining charges that posted as HILTON OAK BROOK HILLS RESORT and was reimbursed a few days later.

The Amex CSR said the charge of the room rate is not eligible. Does anyone have a different experience?

Obviously, I would like to be reimbursed for the room rate if it is an eligible expense.

Worse case scenario is I will need to find another way to use the remainder of the credit.

Assuming I visit the area again, is there an easy way to book a hotel stay in advance to get the good rate, but actually pay for the entire stay at checkout?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 8:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Here are the terms and conditions from https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-0#offer-terms

During each year of your Card Membership ("reward year"), you are eligible to receive up to $250 total in statement credits on your Card Account for eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card during that reward year. Your first reward year begins on your account opening date. Each subsequent reward year begins on the anniversary of your account opening date.
Eligible Hilton Resort purchases must be made directly with the participating Hilton Resort and charged to your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card account for the benefit to apply. Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases. Visit hilton.com/resorts for the list of participating Hilton Resorts. Purchases made by both the Basic and Additional Card Members on the eligible Card Account are eligible for statement credits. However, each Card Account is eligible for up to a total of $250 per renewal year in statement credits across all Cards on the Card Account. Please allow 8-12 weeks after the eligible Hilton purchase is charged to your Card Account for statement credit(s) to be posted to the Account. Please call the number on the back of your Card if statement credits have not posted after 12 weeks from the date of purchase. Card Members remain responsible for timely payment of all charges.
Nothing in those terms says the room rate is excluded. There is a room rate exclusion on the $100 property credit, but that's a separate benefit. Perhaps the phone rep got the two confused. I would hang up and call again.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

I am still hoping I can get some additional information that will allow me to successfully argue for the room reimbursement charges that were billed under HILTON ADVANCED PURCHASE.

However, does anyone know if you book a room via the standard Hilton Discount (Non-Advanced Purchase) with standard cancellation terms, is it possible to get this charged at the time of the stay so it will show up as a resort charge?
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I believe you are over thinking this. Just call in again and try with a different phone rep. Make sure they understand which of the two card benefits this is about.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Advanced rates often cause issues with these types of things, so I avoid them. Not trying to be unhelpful though, sorry wish I had better tips.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Hoping someone can help me. I was advised that the $250 resort credit also applied to the room rate.

I recently stayed at:

Hilton Oak Brook Hills Resort near Chicago with Golf

For 2 nights. I prepaid for the cost of the room in January and the charge posted as HILTON ADVANCED PURCHASE

When I stayed at the actual property, I had around $28 in dining charges that posted as HILTON OAK BROOK HILLS RESORT and was reimbursed a few days later.

The Amex CSR said the charge of the room rate is not eligible. Does anyone have a different experience?

Obviously, I would like to be reimbursed for the room rate if it is an eligible expense.

Worse case scenario is I will need to find another way to use the remainder of the credit.

Assuming I visit the area again, is there an easy way to book a hotel stay in advance to get the good rate, but actually pay for the entire stay at checkout?
"in January" is not enough information.

After getting the Aspire card in hand and paid with it? It has to be paid with the Aspire card, it can't be paid by another Hilton Amex card.

Ie, I'm guessing it's something about your prepaid rate that was the issue. People who didn't use prepaid rates have gotten the credit for their room rate.

Or if you did prepay it with the Aspire card, maybe the information about what exact type of card you used gets lost with a prepaid reservation? (I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas.) I don't know if Amex has ever run a promo which requires the hotel to know what exact kind of card you used (besides Amex type) before, maybe the have a flaw in the prepaid system that's incompatible with this offer?

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 11, 2018 at 10:31 pm
Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by missamo80
Here are the terms and conditions from https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-0#offer-terms

Nothing in those terms says the room rate is excluded. There is a room rate exclusion on the $100 property credit, but that's a separate benefit. Perhaps the phone rep got the two confused. I would hang up and call again.
The terms say that all incidentals must be charged to the room and paid for on checkout to qualify as a resort purchase. Since the room rate was advanced purchase it was not paid for on checkout, so that is likely why the charges will not be reimbursed.

I’ve had no problem with the reimbursement of the room rate for a regular booking paid for on checkout.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
"in January" is not enough information.

After getting the Aspire card in hand and paid with it? It has to be paid with the Aspire card, it can't be paid by another Hilton Amex card.

Ie, I'm guessing it's something about your prepaid rate that was the issue. People who didn't use prepaid rates have gotten the credit for their room rate.

Or if you did prepay it with the Aspire card, maybe the information about what exact type of card you used gets lost with a prepaid reservation? (I don't know, I'm just throwing out ideas.) I don't know if Amex has ever run a promo which requires the hotel to know what exact kind of card you used (besides Amex type) before, maybe the have a flaw in the prepaid system that's incompatible with this offer?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I did pay for the Advanced Purchase in January with the Amex Aspire card in hand.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
I have a stay booked next month at the Hilton Bentley (On the Resort web site list)

I stayed there last fall, so I checked my saved copy of my Hilton Citi statement, and they charged my card as HILTON HOTELS. It did not include the word RESORT in the name.

I'm not sure if your issue was was due to the pre-paid rate, or does the hotel charge actually need to have the word RESORT in the charge?

Any other data points for people that did have the credit post? (Resort being in the charge)
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:59 am

I'm considering getting this card but the wording on the reimbursement policies is vague. I'll be interested in seeing how this turns out for you.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:01 am

my advance purchase for Hilton Tokyo bay got reimbursed within a week. So just keep on calling until find rep can adjust for you.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: free agent
Not sure if someone already ask same question in another thread, but my question is still related to to $250 resort credit. I wonder if I can simply visit Hilton Resort and dine or drink at resort's bars & restaurants, then I will get credit if I use my Aspire card without staying at the resort?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ReachMoon
my advance purchase for Hilton Tokyo bay got reimbursed within a week. So just keep on calling until find rep can adjust for you.
Thanks for the data point. How did the charge post? Did it post under the property name or simply as: HILTON ADVANCED PURCHASE?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:51 am

It is not clear with the reimbursement of $250 from Amex at this point? Does all hotel in this link hilton.com/resorts qualify for the $250 credit or just those hotels with the resort wording attached in hotel name wqualify for the credit.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by washeelers747
Not sure if someone already ask same question in another thread, but my question is still related to to $250 resort credit. I wonder if I can simply visit Hilton Resort and dine or drink at resort's bars & restaurants, then I will get credit if I use my Aspire card without staying at the resort?
Incidental charges (including charges made at restaurants, spas, and other establishments within the hotel property) must be charged to your room and paid for with your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card at checkout in order for them to be recognized as Hilton Resort purchases.

Sounds like you have to charge it to your room, so I would assume not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.