Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Wow.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Phone numbers

Oh and if anyone knows any phone numbers to the resort and could provide them, that would be great. Hilton support just contacted me again and has said they still have not been able to reach the hotel. Maybe we can help Hilton figure out how to contact one of their own major properties.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:06 am

Wow. That’s an insane story. I hope it works out.

As for the “privacy” thing, it holds no water at all because the arrivals pier is not even visible from any rooms or restaurants. And what about the 40-50 boats we see daily floating by 40 meters off shore? They should just admit that it’s part of the room rate and move on. Imagine if airlines told you that you couldn’t avoid checked bag fees by not checking a bag.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: MAR Titanium, HH Gold
Hi,
Can someone share snorkeling experience and/or pic/video at the resort? I have been lurking but really couldn't find much. I recall one good post but am keen to read more.

Someone told me WA was 16th out of 16 resorts (in terms of snorkeling experience) has visited...!

Many thanks in advance
Old Aug 8, 2019, 5:05 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
Someone posted a snorkeling video on Instagram :
you have to swipe through Foto no. 6 of the post to see the video ..

Last edited by mb123; Aug 8, 2019 at 5:11 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by BLTraveler
Hey guys, just an update on those seeking to use 3rd party transfer. They are entirely inflexible about letting anyone enter unless you take the rip off “yacht” ride to the resort. They make the boat sound like a yacht from Monaco, but in reality it looks like your average boat from the jersey shore. With that transfer price you would think Gordon Ramsey was on board serving beef Wellington.

Anyway, I was supposed to go to the Waldorf tomorrow but this morning I received an email from the manager saying the 3rd party transfers were not allowed, even if I was coming from a nearby resort. They expect customers to travel all the way back to Male to ride the rip off express back to the waldorf. I explained I was coming from and departing to other resorts and had already arranged prepaid transfers that were past the refundable period of time.

For those interested in the communications time line, I contacted them 8 days prior since I had received no emails yet. Got response and they asked my arrival times, I responded saying I’ll be coming from nearby resorts via private transfer. No response from hotel for three days, however I started forwarding the email to any Waldorf Maldives email I could find. Four days out, front desk emailed and said thank you for choosing us and all that standard stuff. Three days out, got email from reservations saying no 3rd party boats due to “privacy”. Nonsense, how is this more/less private than “yacht.” I responded asking for boat tender from the resort boundary. That’s when this morning I received email from manager that said not even boat tender was feasible and they only he can offer refund, which I took.

So now I’m in the process of getting Waldorf to refund the points so I can use them at Conrad but it is radio silence. Even Hilton support has been emailing and calling Waldorf to get them to refund the itinerary but no one answers the phone or responds to emails in a timely fashion.

This is some hardball fleecing folks. I’m surprised that even though the website, mobile app, and confirmation emails make no mention of transfer restrictions, along with the lack of timely communications, Waldorf still threatened to deny entry into the resort and would rather me go rebook elsewhere on one days notice.
What a bunch of tosspots. Put it on your blog and rip the shyte out of them.
If I were you I would've refused the point refund and posted a video on my blog with a summary of the above. Then I would've arrived on my pre-booked transfer the next day at the resort boundary armed with an activated Maldivian mobile phone and internet connection, waterproofed camera setup and dressed in swimming attire. I would start videoing, call the resort on the phone and tell them I was waiting at the lagoon for pickup. If they refused to come get me I'd put this first part on YouTube as well as emailing the Diamond Desk and somebody high up at Hilton and including the link in the emails. Then I would get into the water and start videoing again and proceed to swim to the dock and once there, ask for them to go grab my suitcase. If they refused, I'd ask to speak with the GM. And I'd watch those videos go viral.....

Oh and if anyone knows any phone numbers to the resort and could provide them, that would be great. Hilton support just contacted me again and has said they still have not been able to reach the hotel. Maybe we can help Hilton figure out how to contact one of their own major properties.
You've tried the one in the wiki I presume?

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 8, 2019 at 8:42 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
What a bunch of tosspots. Put it on your blog and rip the shyte out of them.
If I were you I would've refused the point refund and posted a video on my blog with a summary of the above. Then I would've arrived on my pre-booked transfer the next day at the resort boundary armed with an activated Maldivian mobile phone and internet connection, waterproofed camera setup and dressed in swimming attire. I would would start videoing, call the resort on the phone and tell them I was waiting at the lagoon for pickup. If they refused to come get me I'd put this first part on YouTube as well as emailing the Diamond Desk and somebody high up at Hilton and including the link in the email. Then I would get into the water and start videoing again and proceed to swim to the dock and once there, ask for them to go grab my suitcase. If they refused, I'd ask to speak with the GM. And I'd watch those videos go viral.....
And let me know what time you’re arriving, I can promise at least two different angles of the whole scene.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 8:54 am

Niiiice!

And like I said before, they could have made a concerted effort not to appear like the greedy so and sos that we now know they are, but no. This stinks and is akin to royalty refusing entry of a rich peasant into their castle. "Eeewww, no. We don't wan't him!"

Just to make it perfectly clear for folks reading this thread, @BLTraveler isn't less worthy than anyone else, it's just an example of how he is being treated.

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Aug 8, 2019 at 10:34 am
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:03 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
While I think the hotel is making a bad decision in doing this, let’s not pretend to act as if having issues with ignoring the standard transfer to cut some costs wasn’t pretty obviously going to cause people some element of stess and/ or outright problems.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Niiiice!

And like I said before, they could have made a concerted effort not to appear like the greedy so and sos that we now know they are, but no. This stinks and is akin to royalty refusing entry of a rich peasant into their castle. "Eeewww, no. We don't wan't him!"

Just to make it perfectly clear for folks reading this thread, @BLTraveler isn't less worthy than anyone else, it's just an example of how he is being treated.
I bet if some rich dude arrives on a mega yacht and booked the most expensive room, that wouldn't turn him away. Agree that it's a bunch of BS...
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:19 pm

Yesterday my wife and I did the 2 hour “sunset fishing” excursion. $95++ pp, about 2 hours long. They took us and 3 other parties on a boat about 25 feet x 10 feet in size out about 15 minutes from the resort to the edge of a pair of shallow reefs, gave us a brief demonstration and got us all set up.

Very simple equipment, literally just a baited hook with a spool that we unwound to drop to the bottom. Once the line was down we just used our hands to raise the line from the water. This was actually a lot more fun than the rod and reel type arrangement I used as a kid.

The staff was fantastic, knowledgeable, very patient with all of us and they really did their best to make sure we all had a good time (which we definitely did). Everyone caught multiple fish - grouper, red snapper, emperor fish and a few other varieties. My wife caught a barracuda (and was a little terrified of it when she saw it).

We are going to eat the fish we caught (and kept) tonight for dinner. On the boat you fill out some forms to select how it should be prepared, what sides it will come with and sauces. I understand this is $65 pp. This is a fantastic activity at what I think a very reasonable price. It would be great with kids or just as a couple.

Also, on an unrelated note, the beds at this resort are fantastic. I’m going to make my wife help me figure out what kind of mattresses they are so we can investigate getting one.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 6:30 pm

The more I read about the resort the less I want to go. The hard product looks outstanding, however the BS just keeps adding up, especially with the outrageous transfer expectation. Glad I cancelled my stay........
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by brodielayne
The more I read about the resort the less I want to go. The hard product looks outstanding, however the BS just keeps adding up, especially with the outrageous transfer expectation. Glad I cancelled my stay........
Just my opinion, but having stayed there for 10 days I would say you made a bad call. The hard and soft product are amazing. Perfect? No. I have been to several 5* resorts. None have been perfect.

TD
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by calvinoeh
I bet if some rich dude arrives on a mega yacht and booked the most expensive room, that wouldn't turn him away. Agree that it's a bunch of BS...
From the story above I would also agree that was poorly handled by the WA.

I am no “rich dude”, our boat we chartered was no “mega yacht”, we stayed 10 nights on points/voucher and they let our tender dock with no issues.

So as all things in life YMMV

TD
Old Aug 8, 2019, 7:59 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
That’s when this morning I received email from manager that said not even boat tender was feasible and they only he can offer refund, which I took.
I am flabbergasted by your situation, the resort definitely gave you both middle fingers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.