Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

We rented a boat the week before our WA stay. Our boat tender was allowed to dock where the WA yacht does with no issues.

TD
Thanks for your info. Do you mind sharing which boat tender did you use? I got a response from atoll and they asked me to inform the hotel first

I would much like to avoid paying the $370 yacht transfer but don't want to risk the hotel not letting us to land.

TIA
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
I don’t believe that the WA will send paying guests away, when they arrive at their front door.
Of course they don’t like it but I don’t think they will refuse the boat to dock, when it arrives.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Royal Ambassor
I don’t believe that the WA will send paying guests away, when they arrive at their front door.
Of course they won’t like it and try to scare off guests, who want to try it. But I don’t think they will refuse the boat to dock, when it arrives.
As far as I know, they didn’t write anything about a compulsory yacht transfer in their booking confirmation.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by wekxbrainx
Thanks for your info. Do you mind sharing which boat tender did you use? I got a response from atoll and they asked me to inform the hotel first

I would much like to avoid paying the $370 yacht transfer but don't want to risk the hotel not letting us to land.

TIA
We booked a private boat for a week long cruise. Not just to take us from MLE to the WA. That may be why they granted us access. We will be taking the WA to the airport tomorrow.

TD
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:17 am

The big privacy issues are related to the beach villas. The reef villas are very private. We spent 6 days in a garden and have been in a reef for 4 days. Once you are inside the gates or your reef villa you can not tell if it is reef or fully OW. I was glad we saved the money and only opted for the reef upgrade.

TD

PS..we saw about 20 dolphins from our room yesterday!
Thanks for sharing, looks beautiful! I’ll consider emailing them back and going with RV. I pulled the trigger without seeing too many RV vs OWV reviews.. part of it was I also just wanted to lock in the upgrade price with a max of 400+tax/nt for OWV before the stay gets closer and the price potentially goes up. Hoping that if I decide to downgrade to RV later they’ll let me do so at 200+tax/nt. If they don’t we’ll be fine, 1500 extra for OWV won’t break the budget for this trip.

Your deck view looks nice and unobstructed - are you north facing? Mind sharing the villa #? Did you request a specific villa before arrival, and if so, did they confirm it beforehand?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:18 am

TIA
We booked a private boat for a week long cruise. Not just to take us from MLE to the WA. That may be why they granted us access. We will be taking the WA boat to the airport tomorrow.

Just as a side note, the captain of our boat said the WA boat would pick us up (just outside the lagoon) when we arrived so we did not have to take the tender. We asked the cost for that. He assured me there would be none. I laughed and said I doubted that, but was OK if there was no charge. The next morning he said we would be taking the tender.

All the staff I have talked with have said they are getting a bunch of push-back on the transfer cost. So perhaps if continued pressure is applied they will adjust the cost. But I presume they will just add it in somewhere else. So your total trip cost will be the same.

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jul 25, 2019 at 10:59 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:26 am

Turtle needs a new home. If you are here PM me and I’ll have the concierge bring it over tomorrow.
Let's see if we can keep the chain going, with each FT member signing it
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by flyerchatter
Can someone please post up some images of the in-room dining menu?
Here you go....

Looks like the upload mixed all the pictures up. But that is the entire in-room dining menu.

TD

Last edited by Traveler Dave; Jul 25, 2019 at 10:54 am
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:29 am

Kindly note with respect for our guests’ privacy and security, third party/ own transfer is not permitted to enter the resort.
Perhaps they can just drop anchor a few yards from the resort and you can swim the rest of the way
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by marcmsj
Perhaps they can just drop anchor a few yards from the resort and you can swim the rest of the way
Guests could then use the famous Traveler Dave turtle as a float to enter the resort!
Old Jul 25, 2019, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by NightFury1
Thank you for the comparison. Can you explain what this means though? As in the Maldives aren't as visually appealing as in their pictures? BB waters do look stunning to me.
yes, i do think BB is more beautiful than Maldivian atolls

Maldives atolls has no mountains or hills per se, it's a bit like a bunch of sandbanks with shrubbery where humans later erect resorts on them.
just google for photos and satellite images and you will get the idea.

BB water color is unreal, though it's not the only place in the world with that color. But it's one of the top ones for me.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 12:12 pm

TIA
it's quite some bad PR to not let you land, i highly doubt any hotel will do that.
plus sometimes people to do liveaboard then resort, or resort then liveaboard. or resort to resort. in these scenarios, they would arrive/leave hotel one-way via boat.

they need to put such clause into the booking system in order to avoid an overwhelming number of guests having a lightbulb moment and engaging their own private transport to get there.
they also have valid reasons for doing that, bc imagine, if even 50% of the people are smart enough to think abt that option and start arriving by their own boat, then the resort will start losing the "luxurious" feel, because ya know, any Tom, Dick, and Harry's zodiac is landing there at all times of the day. but perhaps one can safely estimate at this stage, 80% of people will still be using WA yacht, due to various reasons (risk of the "unknowns" in Maldives, private boatman flaking on them, chinese organized tour package, want the classy WA yacht experience etcetra)

most resorts will have such clause. and also clause that prohibits you from engaging outside outfitters (meaning, not hotel-operated) to go on excursions. but rules and enforcement of rules are two different things. i can see enforcement happening when it happens at a frequency that affects their bottomline or when hotel guests start complaining
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:11 pm

The hotel asked for my flight details to arrange my transfer.

Out of curiosity I looked at my email confirmations (one for a free night, and another for points based) and didn't find any mention of the transfer. Looking at previous posts, looks like this used to be mentioned on emails initially.

Did they at some point take it out of the email confirmations? I made my reservations on May 18th.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Thanks, looks like the video was taken prior to the official July 1 opening. Resort looks pretty much deserted, no towels etc on any of the villas, no other water sports boats in the lagoon etc.

For anyone interested in the 60minute guided snorkelling tour, I was told the route occurs at the the drop off that can be seen from 3m38s to 3m55s.
First post here....that was actually my video. I was wondering all of the youtube views were coming from! I checked in on July 5th, so just after the opening. Not a lot of people around there at the time but it was after the opening.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 3:34 pm

Drone was Mavic Air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.