Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by thetaxman29
There was a previous post a couple weeks ago about "glitches" where you couldn't see availability if you didn't have enough points in your account. Try searching incognito and you will see some availability. You're not going to find a lot of consecutive nights and there's still "very little" award availability, but not zero. I see the following availability currently for Jan/Feb:

1/6, 1/11, 1/12, 1/16, 1/25, 2/8, 2/14, 2/19, 2/22
Thanks. Finally got my weekend cert and enough points was hoping to do a 5 night weekend trip around MLK or President Day weekend.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Over at the IHG forum there is a thread that is about to "blow up" because IHG proposes to be more environmentally friendly and remove all single use plastic products such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc.

Now for those who have stayed at this Waldorf Astoria, bath wash/soap/lotion are dispensed by way of large ceraimic dispensers which I think is a positive; not only are they saving plastic, I felt it more luxurious than dealing with plastic bottles and it looked more visibly appealing in the bathrooms and shower areas - some may agree and some may not. I personally have no hesitation with these type of dispensers. Those that disagree believe it is risky, unhygenic or that it exposes for someone to tamper with it, like putting hydrochloric acid in the bath wash etc. In all my years of travelling, reading travel news and what not, I have not read of a single situation where someone wanted to tamper with these things especially at higher end properties anyway.

What are your thoughts about these dispensers?

Last edited by alanslegal; Jul 31, 2019 at 12:23 am
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Over at the IHG forum there is a thread that is about to "blow up" because IHG proposes to be more environmentally friendly and remove all single use plastic products such as shampoo, conditioner, body wash etc.

Now for those who have stayed at this Waldorf Astoria, bath wash/soap/lotion are dispensed by way of large ceraimic dispensers which I think is a positive; not only are they saving plastic, I felt it more luxurious than dealing with plastic bottles and it looked more visibly appealing in the bathrooms and shower areas - some may agree and some may not. I personally have no hesitation with these type of dispensers. Those that disagree believe it is risky, unhygenic or that it exposes for someone to tamper with it, like putting hydochloric acid in the bath wash etc. In all my years of travelling, reading travel news and what not, I have not read of a single situation where someone wanted to tamper with these things especially at higher end properties anyway.

Which thread? I assumed the new IHG opening soon, but did not see this topic mentioned.

I have no issue with them. I can see/understand people’s thought on “gross factor”. If they bother you bring your own. My wife/daughter bring their own stuff from home, in travel bottles. Sometimes I use that sometimes I grab the hotel stuff.

I am no ecofreak, but the single use (effectively what hotel products are) products is getting out of hand. Having just spent a week on a boat in the Maldives I can tell you the waters around “the perfect vacation destination” are a floting trash can. I realize not everything a saw came from the Maldives. But I support their efforts to do their part.

TD

Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Which thread? I assumed the new IHG opening soon, but did not see this topic mentioned.

I have no issue with them. I can see/understand people’s thought on “gross factor”. If they bother you bring your own. My wife/daughter bring their own stuff from home, in travel bottles. Sometimes I use that sometimes I grab the hotel stuff.

I am no ecofreak, but the single use (effectively what hotel products are) products is getting out of hand. Having just spent a week on a boat in the Maldives I can tell you the waters around “the perfect vacation destination” are a floting trash can. I realize not everything a saw came from the Maldives. But I support their efforts to do their part.

TD
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ll-brands.html
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal

Now for those who have stayed at this Waldorf Astoria, bath wash/soap/lotion are dispensed by way of large ceraimic dispensers which I think is a positive; not only are they saving plastic, I felt it more luxurious than dealing with plastic bottles and it looked more visibly appealing in the bathrooms and shower areas - some may agree and some may not. I personally have no hesitation with these type of dispensers. Those that disagree believe it is risky, unhygenic or that it exposes for someone to tamper with it, like putting hydrochloric acid in the bath wash etc. In all my years of travelling, reading travel news and what not, I have not read of a single situation where someone wanted to tamper with these things especially at higher end properties anyway.

They need to do that. Honestly, those mini bottles have crappy shampoo anyhow and are a complete nuisance. While they're at it, might as well switch up the miniature toothpaste that only squeeze out 1 1/2 brushings and replace it with a similar sort of dispenser. I think those shampoo/conditioner dispensers here in Japan would be a little difficult to tamper with. I've shared communal meals with tons of people in China over a two-year span and have yet to catch any form of std or stomach bacteria as a result (tested multiple times since).
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:52 am

Most of the WA items were re-fillable, but they also offered bars of soap and mouthwash, not in “bulk”...

TD

Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:30 pm

Personally I agree with what IHG are going to do and it's about time. I absolutely hate making waste, especially plastic which almost never gets recycled. The only problem for me is I prefer a real bar of soap, you know, a solid object that you can actually scrub with and that gets a lather up. All this lotion-to-clean-your-body nonsense.....I don't know how folks can clean themselves properly with a liquid - it takes so much longer and you end up using a huge amount of it which in itself is a waste. When travelling I always tell housekeeping to not replace bars of soap until I ask and stick the bars together when the first one gets too small and then take the remainder with me in a travel soap box when I check out. Zero waste.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Amanresorts, the most luxurious brand of all by almost any accounting, has been doing this with shower/bath products for decades at some of the world’s most impressive and most expensive resorts.

This outcry is about a whining and paranoid minority who don’t like change, don’t travel as much as much as they think they do, and see conspiracies at every turn—and/or those who don’t care at all about environmental health.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Typical. So they are not allowing people with luxury yachts, i.e; their primary target market, to sail to the resort. Complete BS! Just ignore it.

Exactly! For a good deal of the passengers, the only unforgettable thing they will experience is how their pockets were sucked dry by this joke of a transfer fee.

Oh, and just a tidbit FEI. Adam Areef used to work at Rangali.
I can’t believe the major positive to come out of this story about people not being allowed arrange their own transfer hasn’t been mentioned yet .... It means The World won’t be docking outside the WA lagoon anytime soon Every cloud eh!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC
Originally Posted by goliath
Correct for base points, i.e. USD 10k spend. Plus any bonus you may get through status / promos etc., so up to 400k+ redeemable points with the right status and promos (not factoring in credit card points).
goliath, just on this - I thought the base points only was capped but it looks like the double points promo (double points after 2nd stay) is also capped? So if your base points get maxed out, then your bonus is only the base points. Previously bonus points didn’t have the cap?
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

Same as my wife, we rarely use hotel products because she packs our own things because she says its bettter and also minimises unnecessary waste at the sme time
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Amanresorts, the most luxurious brand of all by almost any accounting, has been doing this with shower/bath products for decades at some of the world’s most impressive and most expensive resorts.

This outcry is about a whining and paranoid minority who don’t like change, don’t travel as much as much as they think they do, and see conspiracies at every turn—and/or those who don’t care at all about environmental health.
Exactly, imagine those same folks arriving at an airline lounge (ohhhhhhhhh) or public bathrooms (ooooooooh) only to find dispensers. Shock horror.

The only problem for me is I prefer a real bar of soap, you know, a solid object that you can actually scrub with and that gets a lather up. All this lotion-to-clean-your-body nonsense.....I don't know how folks can clean themselves properly with a liquid - it takes so much longer and you end up using a huge amount of it which in itself is a waste.
We are also bar soap fans. Plus bar soaps last a much longer time, so if we are away for a month, we might only need one bar versus a decent sized liquid dispenser bottle if we went that route.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: M&M SEN (*G), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pineapple_09
goliath, just on this - I thought the base points only was capped but it looks like the double points promo (double points after 2nd stay) is also capped? So if your base points get maxed out, then your bonus is only the base points. Previously bonus points didn’t have the cap?
No, the current double points promo is like any other similar promo before.

If as a Diamond, you spend 10k USD, you get

100k base points
100k double points promo
100k Diamond bonus

Total 300k (+ any other promos / credit card points if you are eligible)

If as a Diamond, you spend 57k USD (just as an extreme example), you still get

100k base points
100k double points promo
100k Diamond bonus

Total 300k (+ any other promos / credit card points if you are eligible)

The same was true for any other "multiple points" promos I can remember, the were always based on the amount of base points received. See also the FAQ on the current promo.

As I mentioned above:

Originally Posted by goliath
Correct for base points, i.e. USD 10k spend. Plus any bonus you may get through status / promos etc., so up to 400k+ redeemable points with the right status and promos (not factoring in credit card points).
400k+ are possible based on spending 10k USD, but with the right promos. The current "double points" isn't one of those "right ones". For example in Q4 last year (10SEP2018 - 03JAN2019), there was a promo that gave you "triple points" for "Luxury & Resort" stays, there you would have received 400k, based on spending 10k USD.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Personally I agree with what IHG are going to do and it's about time. I absolutely hate making waste, especially plastic which almost never gets recycled. The only problem for me is I prefer a real bar of soap, you know, a solid object that you can actually scrub with and that gets a lather up. All this lotion-to-clean-your-body nonsense.....I don't know how folks can clean themselves properly with a liquid - it takes so much longer and you end up using a huge amount of it which in itself is a waste. When travelling I always tell housekeeping to not replace bars of soap until I ask and stick the bars together when the first one gets too small and then take the remainder with me in a travel soap box when I check out. Zero waste.
This must be a cultural thing. In Australia and most of Asia Pacific, the hotels would provide shower gels whereas the ones in America would often provide bars of soap. I personally can't stand soap because most tend to leave the skin dry.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold

Or just take your own empty little bottles and fill them up from the big ones
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:39 pm

Can confirm both my wife's Aspire card and mine posted the $250 credit. We had them run $250 on each card with no hassle.

As a side note, before arriving in the Maldives we had a stop-over in Singapore. I had them put my incidentals of $244.92 on my Aspire card. Those never triggered the credit.

TD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.