Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm trying to decide where to stay for a 3-4 days around April 1. I'm concerned that in Clearwater the water may be too chilly to swim; I'm told that Ft. Lauderdale or Miami should be warmer. But now I'm worried about so-called sea lice and jellyfish.
I have done long weekend trips to the Miami Hilton Bentley in late March this year and last year and the weather was great and the ocean was temperature was perfect. They treat their guests great and last time I stayed there umbrellas and chairs were free on the beach for diamonds (but someone else reported that is no longer a benefit).
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, American Executive Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion
Any experience with the Waldorf's in Key West Florida?

Looks like there are two Waldorf hotels in Key west next to each other. Another site has some less than stellar reviews of both properties and I wanted to solicit the experts on this site for their opinions. Will be staying there in November and wanted to know if one was a better choice over the other. Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by djvand
Looks like there are two Waldorf hotels in Key west next to each other. Another site has some less than stellar reviews of both properties and I wanted to solicit the experts on this site for their opinions. Will be staying there in November and wanted to know if one was a better choice over the other. Thanks!
See these threads with recent posts:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...ldorf+key+west
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...t#post18656333
And a couple of older threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-reviews.html
Old Jul 8, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Avis First/Preferred, Hertz 5*
LOVE the Casa Marina. Both are on the quiet side of the island, but only about a 20 minute walk to Sloppy Joe's.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Had a bad experience at Reach earlier this month. My review is over on TripAdvisor (under my very similar username.)
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:14 am

Had been just going to leave the review at TripAdvisor but it has now turned into an experience in which I had more than one contact from management, which didn't follow up at all despite promises to do so. I figure you all deserve to know what you may be getting into. Here's my review, verbatim. I have CC'd a complaint to [email protected], but I doubt it's going to go anywhere.

My spouse and I are Diamond Hilton HHonors members and have stayed in Hilton properties all over the U.S., plus Europe and Egypt. Regrettably this is one of the only Hilton properties where I can say we had a disappointing experience and didn't feel the stay was worth the price paid. I was told management would be contacting me vis a vis some issues we had here, but that didn't happen. Also I filled out a survey Hilton sent me and got only a short email from the housekeeping staff in return, so I feel as though I can now go public with some of these issues, since I gave Hilton management a heads-up ahead of time.

Despite all our Hilton experience, my husband and I had never stayed in a Waldorf Astoria and were looking forward to it. HHonors points redemptions are now insanely expensive for all but the most basic rooms - no balcony, not a suite, least attractive location within the hotel - in many desirable properties, and this one was no exception. We were able to scrape together the nearly 150,000 HHonors points required for three nights of this stay, but our reservation also included $700 for two nights (since point redemption rates for those dates were over 120,000 points per night.

Bear in mind the Hilton Surpass credit card earns only 3 points per dollar - you get the idea of how much spending you have to do get those points. You do a lot better earning points for stays, but spending $500 at Hilton as a Diamond member still only earns you around 15,000 points. So these rooms now cost a *lot* no matter how you slice it.) We assumed the hefty price tag would assure a really exceptional stay. Especially since, prior to our arrival a member of the staff contacted us to ensure our reservations were in order and to answer any questions we may have had. We were impressed with this touch and thought it must be a sign of good things to come.

However, we had the misfortune to check in the third week of June, 2012 just as TS Debby brought pounding surf, sustained 35+ mph roaring winds and torrents of drowning, soaking rain just in time to ruin our vacation (which had included plans to snorkel and scuba). Since the weather was so bad and we weren't able to use the pool or go to the beach, we spent more time than usual in our room and had occasion to notice the following...

1.) LOUD power washer being run on the driveway directly outside our door for at least five solid hours per day - 23rd and 24th (a weekend) and starting in the morning

2.) Being inconvenienced by housekeeping, which repeatedly ignored our Do Not Disturb sign to beat loudly and insistently on the door. This occurred at 9 AM on a Sunday morning and at other times throughout our stay. We requested the front desk staff address the problem only to experience it again. At one point the room cleaner didn't even knock, just used a key to try to barge right into our room. We were also waked up early in the morning more than once by housekeeping repeatedly slamming the door of the room next to ours and very loud, irritating "moving things around" noises. We requested late checkout on our last day (which is an advertised benefit for Diamond members) only to be downright badgered by housekeeping that morning - they clearly wanted us out of their way.

Coincidentally we were seated next to another couple on the flight back to Miami who mentioned they'd had the same issues, particularly housekeeping trying to gain access to the room using a key without knocking and despite DND. I have never had anything like this happen at another property, ever. Do Not Disturb should mean exactly that when I'm paying for a room - no questions asked.

3.) A truck came at 9 AM every day to remove the piles of seaweed that accrued on the beach - it's lovely that they do this, but we heard the "truck backing up noise" very clearly for a long time. Why can't they do this later in the day? Or use a truck that doesn't make that loud beeping noise?

It's just that you expect more from a property that charges nearly double the going rate of a nice hotel in a major city (or 100,000+ HHonors points per night for all but the most basic room.) There were a lot of nice things about this property - the bed was comfortable, it's clean, the room furnishings are very nice, we had a great experience with the servers in the restaurant and the concierge, despite the fact we had to cancel the plans she made for us due to the dismal weather. The food in the restaurant is outstanding, even if we didn't care for the darkness of it or the decor.

However, the noise and the issues with housekeeping were a real problem for us. Also, it would have been nice to feel the staff cared the weather had such an impact on our stay, perhaps offered advice on indoor activities or a little something special to make us feel better, but that didn't happen.

Again, this was a nice hotel in many ways. But we spent so much money here - you really expect something special for that kind of expenditure. Honestly, we've had many stays at the Hampton Inn in Chincoteague, VA that felt more luxurious.

We really get the sense that hotel management here is simply indifferent - there will always be visitors to Key West and there are a limited number of accommodations available. If you don't like your stay, too bad - others will be lined up behind you. Not what you really hope will happen when you spend the time and investment that's necessary to achieve the top tier in a hotel chain's loyalty program, or when you commit to spending the premium prices commanded by properties like this one.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
I agree with all but number 3. Commercial trucks I think are required to have that beeping noise.

One of the things I look forward to when I stay at high end properties is the discretion of the staff. If the DnD is on the door the most action any staff member should take is to slip a note under the door. Housekeeping should have respected the sign.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:33 am

Yeahbut - they don't have to run the truck at 9 AM on a weekend. I guess the idea is to get rid of the seaweed for the day. Personally, tho, I'd rather step around a little seaweed than know I'm not going to get to sleep in on my vacation. Not to mention Key West has tons of bars and nightlife, which I would assume means folks will be out late as we were.

On the DND - we don't like having our room cleaned. Nothing personal, mostly just don't like having our stuff rearranged and put where we can't find it.

Agree that what they should have done - and what I've seen happen in virtually every other hotel I've ever stayed in - is something under the door mentioning that we had the DND up so they skipped us. DO NOT bang on the door (with metal keys in your fingers to make the noise even louder). Repeatedly. Once an hour. Starting at 9 AM. Then try to use your key to get in when nobody answers. If you must touch base, call the room on the phone - in the afternoon or evening.

Our stay really had the feel of having booked a room right on top of a construction site, with all the noise and activity. It was really bad, considering the horrible weather meant we spent a lot of time in the hotel.

We complained on-site, were told the manager was unavailable, and there was nothing the desk staffer could do since we had three reservations. (They were "closed out.") Later I had a note from management attached to my review on TA, claiming they'd like to follow up - I sent an email two weeks ago, got one back saying something like "sorry, out of the office," then nothing.

Just don't see how they're charging so much for this place. Our experience was much more Motel 6 by the Sea!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by colpuck
One of the things I look forward to when I stay at high end properties is the discretion of the staff. If the DnD is on the door the most action any staff member should take is to slip a note under the door. Housekeeping should have respected the sign.
If they could read it. Maybe that is the problem.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA Lifetime Plat
Ok, looking to take the wife and kids (9 and 7) to Florida for spring break next year. Top of the list is beach/pool and kid friendly hotel/area. Can you guys throw in your two cents? If it was just my wife and I, I'd be blowing points in Miami at a Waldorf or some other high category property. We are open to all suggestions/areas. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:38 pm

Staying in a few weeks at the Edgewater Beach Hotel. Got a 'deal' of $179.00 per night for one of the Gulf View Tower 1 Bedroom Suite. Wife was looking to be as close to the beach as possible so we decided to stay here. As a Diamond, how has the treatment been recently? Any other issues with Diamonds lately?

I'll write an updated report once I return.

Thank you.

Last edited by I LOVE EWR; Aug 24, 2012 at 11:17 pm
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:55 pm

Just got back from a five day/four night stay at the Edgewater. A few thoughts and tips for those looking to go...

-We booked the 'Naples Tower Gulf View Room'. It appears that the Naples Tower is the more contemporary in style and has updated rooms (our room had fresh paint, nice tile bathtub, 'wooden' floors). They upgraded us to the 'Penthouse Floor' and had a HUGE balcony and a TON of room. With that said, the key card holder was pitted and greening, and the bedroom balcony door did not fully close (about a quarter of an inch open). Not absolute huge deals, but want to make sure it is noted. Also having a kitchenette in the rooms was a big plus.

-As a Diamond I received two drink tickets, a free in room movie, 1000 bonus points, and a free umbrella rental daily at the beach. You can also get a discount to the spa at the other Waldorf in Naples, but we went with the movie. The umbrella rental was awesome. We did not venture over to the other Waldorf in Naples.

-Very family friendly property.

-Speaking of the umbrella rental had an issue with the bill. We paid ahead for our rate and it included the resort fee. I received the final incidental bill and the resort fee and umbrella rental that I should have gotten for free as a Diamond was charged. Before checking out, I went to the front desk and the agent removed the erroneous charges, but it should have been caught prior to putting it below the door. Saw today, that they charged my card for a Cabana Rental at the beach. I called and informed them that due to winds umbrella rentals were not being offered and was only offered a cabana. The front desk initially took it off, but they decided to charge me when it was audited I guess. The agent I spoke to took it off as well, just kinda annoying there were some issues with the bill. I wasn't looking to be that picky, but COME ON, it should be caught that I was going to be charged twice for the Resort Fee at the VERY least (sorry for beating the dead horse there )

-Speaking of the staff, during the entire stay the hotel staff was exceptional. VERY helpful and they were spot on with restaurant suggestions. My issues with the bill were not argued at all by them, they apologized, and corrected it. The staff I feel is one of the bigger pluses of the hotel.

-We really liked the location and size of the hotel. As others have said think of this as a boutique hotel in a neighborhood. Very easy access from parking to rooms to beach.

-Only ate at the pool bar and got ice cream for room service. Prices were OK considering one is in Naples. For example we paid something like $12.20 for ice cream for two from room service. At a local ice cream shop it was $11.07. Mixed Drinks at the hotel pool were $10.00 to $13.00. Also I suggest having breakfast at the First Watch Restaurant (hotel staff told us to eat there). A short .5 mile walk each way from the hotel. The Eggs Benedict there are delish. I also HIGHLY suggest one goes to CHOPS on 5th.

Overall, I would give the hotel a 4/5. I would have no problem staying there again. Would I pay over $200.00 a night there or burn a ton of points. No, but if one can get a good rate, I would not hesitate at all staying there. Big pros were the staff, size of hotel, and location

Any more specific questions don't hesitate to ask or send me a PM!

Last edited by I LOVE EWR; Sep 11, 2012 at 11:02 pm
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:06 am

Tallahassee, Gainesville or Jacksonville nice properties?

Hi all. We are heading to port Canaveral for a cruise and we'll need just one night as a stop off point. Can you recommend a Hilton property in any of these areas that are worth staying at?

We are a family of 4 and Gold VIP. Our course can take us down I-75 or I-95. Ideally we'd like a place where we can take advantage of our VIP Gold benefits and have some good restaurants nearby for eating.

I find myself staying at non hilton properties lately so I feel like I should try to stay at a Hilton for the executive benefits. Otherwise, what was the point?

Thanks in advance

J
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:29 am

Tally to Port Canaveral is probably about 5 hrs.
Gainesville to Port Canaveral is probably about 3 hrs.
Jacksonville to Port Canaveral is probably about 2 hrs. (I'm least sure of this)

Orlando to Port Canaveral is ~1 hr. I'd suggest finding a Hilton in Orlando for 2 reasons. It's a destination town so the chances of finding a nice Hilton are probably higher. And, it's quite a bit closer than the other 3 cities making it easier to get to Port Canaveral on time for the cruise.

I live in Gainesville. There is a decent Hilton associated with UF. I've never stayed in it, but the restaurant is nice.

I recently stayed at the Hilton DoubleTree SeaWorld in Orlando. It was nice. They give free, delicious cookies away at all DoubleTrees. It also comes with a really nice & large breakfast (free with Gold). While I was there someone dressed as Shamu walked around the breakfast area which might be cool if your kids are young. It also has a lot of cool things to do at the hotel. Pool with waterfall, ping pong table, pool table, putt-putt golf on site. It's also pretty close to I-Drive where there is a plethora of dining options (though they are going to be slightly more expensive since it's a touristy area).

Hope this helps!
Old Jan 9, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH LifeTime Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt, AA, Delta
I vote for none of the above and instead nominate the Hilton in Ocala

I agree with MilesGator that Orlando offers the highest class of fine stays over Jax, Tally or G-ville. But in case you can't hack driving all the way to Orlando, then I vote for the Hilton in Ocala which is just about 45 minutes further south than G-ville. This Hilton is not luxurious or particularly new, but it is sweet in a unique way. They feature carriage rides with "Buddy" the horse and have a pretty paddock in the rear of the property which the pool overlooks. If you want to un-wind from the road pressures, the rural setting might do the trick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.