FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   [ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1948414-archive-2014-discussion-hilton-honors-hotels-florida-usa-us-fl.html)

shadow Apr 7, 2001 5:09 am

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Had 3 HH stays this week, at a full-service Hilton, Hilton Garden Inn and Doubletree.
Details for all 3:

Hilton – Orlando/Altamonte Springs, FL
Older property with large lobby, lobby bar & restaurant. Budget Car desk in lobby next to Gift Shop. Pool outside on first level with 8’ wall to help muffle freeway noise, but still quite noisy. Sits about 50 yards from I-4.

Bounce Back rate of $85 which included 2 free breakfasts (buffet). Room on 8th (Club) floor, large room with King bed, workdesk & chair, large upholstered chair & ottoman, coffee maker, etc. Average size closet, standard bathroom with basic Neutrogena potions/unguents. (Question-When did Hilton stop offering Hand Lotion in favor of Mouthwash?) In room amenities consisted of 2 small bottles of water only, which were replaced on second day. Local calls 75¢ each, no time limit.

Nice Club Lounge with large TV, sofas & upholstered chairs, small round tables & chairs for sitting/eating, usual Honor Bar, veggies & dip, cheese & crackers, 2 hot appetizers and standard mix of soft drinks. This was on Sunday afternoon at 5pm (open 5-7pm daily). Did not check out the morning continental breakfast in the Club (opens at 6:30am).

Bill slid under my door in morning, used Video Check-Out. No energy surcharge.

Hilton Garden Inn – Orlando East/UCF
Brand new property just opened mid-February. Bright, spacious lobby/entry with small restaurant area on left & front desk on right. Very accommodating to allow me into my room at 8:45am to stash my stuff before starting to work. Big room with 2 queen beds, medium-sized workdesk & ergo-chair, bankers-type desk lamp (harsh lighting), upholstered chair & ottoman, credenza unit with microwave, fridge & coffeemaker. Average size closet. Bathroom also average size with same Neutrogena items as listed above.

When I returned in the evening there was a tray of cookies on the front counter. I asked about Breakfast Coupons. Was told this property does not participate/offer them. Asked again the next morning of the lady who checked me in and she said “we only give them to Diamond Level members.” Either way, I paid $7.95 for the breakfast buffet, which included made-to-order omelets with standard buffet items. Decent, but I probably wouldn’t want to pay more then $7.95 for it.

My room on 3rd floor overlooks the pool/Jacuzzi & front parking lot. Video checkout not working, but my bill was ready when I got to the front desk. Card on desk said local calls $1.50 each, but only 59¢ on bill, no time limit. No energy surcharge.

Based on this stay (my first at a HGI), I think they’re OK but appreciate the better HHonors offerings and desk service at Hamptons (for the same price). Paid $85 AAA rate, which is $4 below their standard rate. There was a special where I could have paid the standard rate & gotten Double DL miles, but I passed.

DoubleTree Hotel – PGA Blvd. & Military Trail – Palm Beach Gardens, FL.
(Hotel sits about 1 block off of I-95 and about 1 mile from FL Turnpike.)
Arrived at 10:30am hoping to stash my bags before my meeting. Gave them my name & was told my room is available, so I checked in. Given a folder with my room keycard and a voucher for a Buy One, Get One Free Dinner Entreè in Plumbago’s, the hotel restaurant. Also given a bag with the signature DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookies (2). Room on 4th floor with a pool/garden view, and a balcony with 2 chairs & table, which is nice…some excellent ‘eye candy’ at the pool this warm, sunny morning. #&%*¥µ meeting!

This is an older D’tree and it needs refurb. work. Room is same size as the previous 2 listed, but with 2 double beds instead of 2 queens. Tiny workdesk with straight chair & lamp from the 70’s, and a coffeemaker (which I immediately unplugged & put in the smallish bathroom). Upholstered chair & ottoman were probably new 10-15 years ago. The closet is big enough for a family of four, but the rod only goes halfway!?! I guess the other side is to stash suitcases in. A lot of empty space in this room, but it needs a major facelift. The only thing that looks new is the carpeting.

Bath amenitites same as others with one exception; no Mouthwash here…Moisturizing Lotion instead. No card on desk, on phone or in Guest Services book about phone rates. Called hotel operator & she said local calls were 75¢ each. Ice bucket & glasses on top of TV unit that had enough dust to write your name in…yuccchh! I wiped it all down with a damp towel.

Spent some time at the pool which was small for a hotel this size, but nice. Rack of towels handy, just alongside the Jacuzzi. Grounds are pretty (this is considered a resort hotel), but like the hotel itself, they need some work. Saw lots of workers around the property who always seemed busy.

There is an Embassy Suites across the street on PGA Blvd., and I was tempted to only stay 1 night & check in there to see what it was like. I had a $99 rate here and called the Embassy to see if they would meet that price (NO). Cheapest rate I could find was $109, so I stayed put.

Doubletree was not crowded, nor was the pool area. All of the hotel staff personnel I encountered were very friendly & nice.

Checked my folio on TV the night before checkout & found a major mistake (room charge $254!). Quick call to Guest Services got it removed and corrected immediately. Copy of bill under door in morning was correct. No energy surcharge.

These 3 properties were not excellent, not bad either. I would rank them 6-7 on a scale of 10. I will again say that all staff I dealt with were very nice and quite accommodating.

dranz Apr 7, 2001 6:22 am

Hilton – Orlando/Altamonte Springs, FL

Thankfully; far enough north that it gets
primarily business customers, not families
visiting The Mouse.

Club room breakfast better than most.

Phone system also allows incoming calls
*directly* to the room without hotel
operator intervention.

Equipped for Mobilestar's wireless internet
service.

-Doug

SST Jul 8, 2001 5:59 pm

DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Has anyone been at the Singer Island who can describe the hotel and its amenities? Is the Palm Beach hotel (a couple miles away) nicer? Any other suggestions for 3 days this fall, within 50 miles of PBI airport?

SST Jul 12, 2001 12:11 pm

bump.

UpgradeMe Jul 12, 2001 12:58 pm

The best reason to go for the Palm Beach Resort? It's routinely available through Priceline for less than $50.

MIFlyer Jul 12, 2001 7:34 pm

The Singer Island Hilton is a x-Holiday Inn Resort, purchased and recently remodeled by Hilton. Hotel is not very special. Typical small resort hotel restaurant etc. If you are going for the beach it is a great location. You may also want to check out the Embassy Suites on Singer Island. Not a lot of activities on the Island except the beach. There are a lot of good restaurants within a few miles of the hotel, and a lot of sport activites also near by. If you go try the snorkeling near the "Crab Shack" at the bridge. The Palm Beach Hilton is nicer, but that is reflected in the price. Fall prices there are usually a pretty good value for the area.

TransWorldOne Jul 14, 2001 12:27 pm

HILTON Palm Beach Oceanfront Resort
"Return Guest Special"
Sun-Thurs, From $79.00
800-HILTONS or direct @800-433-1718

valid through 9/30/01

best Dec 23, 2001 10:23 pm

DISCUSSION for Hilton HHonors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Please post any recommendations of great h brand hotels in Florida, or any warnings to hotels to stay away from there?

USAFAN Dec 24, 2001 6:17 am

We have a new Hilton in Naples ... very nice hotel with a Don Shula Steakhouse on US-41 near Waterside Shops.
It's not on the beach, beach is about a mile away; with parking place and a card which brings you to the beach .. scenic ride.

Greytop Dec 25, 2001 10:41 pm

Had a great stay at the Miami airport Hilton. Got comped to a very nice corner suite. Stayed at a pretty tacky Doubletree in Boca Raton.

Used an award at the Hilton Garden Inn at Orlando airport as part of a mileage run. The hotel was fine but I couldn't believe their normal charge was $200/nite.

------------------
AS MVP Gold, UA PremEx, HHonors Gold, Hertz Pres Circle

blackjack-21 Dec 26, 2001 12:51 am

Sunrise Hilton, Fort Lauderdale--about 15-20 minutes drive from both the airport and beaches, but a nice hotel. Upgraded for Gold, including breakfasts. Small pool, internet access from their small, two pc, business center near the lobby. Comfortable rooms with the usual Hilton amenities.

bj-21.

homey Dec 26, 2001 10:04 am

the hilton at the airport in west palm, while loud, had good service. the hampton inns in fort pierce and vero beach were both excellent in room quality and all that. i like the one in fort pierce, because they have that digital music on the TV, and when i go into the room, they have it going and it is very pleasant.

i stayed at a hilton garden inn in orlando, and that was nice as well.

hampton in over in port charlotte or thereabouts was also very nice.

i havent been there, but everyone in here really b!tches up a storm about the hilton resort in key west.

for me, florida has been pretty good. YMMV.

essxjay Dec 26, 2001 4:10 pm

The Tampa Airport Hilton is nice, but the Cocoa Beach property sucks.

RoadWeary Dec 26, 2001 6:11 pm

I just came back from a great stay at the ES Lake Buena Vista Resort. If Disney is in your plans this a great hotel in a good location.

lofly Dec 26, 2001 6:30 pm

Stay away from SanDestin Hilton Resort Hotel in SanDestin, FL. This hotel does NOT believe in upgrades or breakfast coupons.

Stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Orlando last October, received breakfast coupons. This location is out in the middle of no-where, but there is a new Hooter's close by.