Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2010, 4:37 pm

Programs: 3 Month Delta Plat, UA PP 2.4mm, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Lifetime Diamond, National EE
Without any doubt, Casa Marina..... just had an outstanding stay there. Great suite upgrade, outstanding service.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 4:30 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold; Hilton Diamond; National C ar Executive Elite
Stayed at both the Sandestin Hilton and the ES. They're both decent Hiltons in their category.

The Sandestin is a "resort" Hilton, so they will charge you for everything...big hotel, popular with the conventions. I was there at the same time a Dental convention was being held...those whacky dentists sure know how to party!

The ES was good, not on the beach, but literally across the street, so location was great. I don't remember the walls being that thin, but I may have gotten use to hearing my neighbors
Old Aug 16, 2010, 2:37 pm

I liked the ES as well, but Sandestin is more "upscale."
Old Aug 17, 2010, 12:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, WN A-List Preferred & CP, Marriott Gold, American Platinum Pro, National Executive
In my opinion, neither of these are truly up to W-A standards. The Casa Marina is older and more classic resort feel to it. The Reach is really a family beach hotel, much, much more modern than the Casa Marina, but without the old world feel to it. If you really want service and quality, check out the Santa Maria Suites or some of the great small B&Bs in town. The La Concha Crown Plaza on Duval is also a nice classic hotel with a great location in the middle of everything. If money is no object, then Little Palm Island (about 20 miles north) is by far the nicest place in the keys... In my opinion, the Casa Marina is Hilton level and the Reach is really more Doubletree level (although on a very nice piece of beachfront property). Best of luck.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Winecaptain
In my opinion, neither of these are truly up to W-A standards. The Casa Marina is older and more classic resort feel to it. The Reach is really a family beach hotel, much, much more modern than the Casa Marina, but without the old world feel to it. If you really want service and quality, check out the Santa Maria Suites or some of the great small B&Bs in town. The La Concha Crown Plaza on Duval is also a nice classic hotel with a great location in the middle of everything. If money is no object, then Little Palm Island (about 20 miles north) is by far the nicest place in the keys... In my opinion, the Casa Marina is Hilton level and the Reach is really more Doubletree level (although on a very nice piece of beachfront property). Best of luck.
Santa maria suites are excellent. Casa marina is definitely not up to W-A standard, agreed. if you must do a hliton property do the Doubletree.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Question Melbourne, FL Property Comparisons/Opinions?

It looks like I'll be spending some time down in the Melbourne, FL area in December. I haven't been there since the hurricanes ravaged the areea in 2004. I actually have pictures of the destroyed beachfront Hilton (got to stay there for a couple of days about a month before it got hit). I had to stay at some really crappy properties while dodging hurricanes (a HoJo that sold my guaranteed room with no other rooms in the area available after arriving early morning on a red-eye) so I'm looking forward to getting back into a decent property.

I remember the pre-destruction Hilton Beachfront being just fine. I also had a couple of nights at Rialto but I remember nothing about it.

So the question is, which property in the area should I stay at now? There are almost no recent reviews on these properties. It looks like the offerings have opened up a bit in that there is now a Doubletree and a Hampton in the area meaning 4 props to choose from:
  • Hilton Beachfront
  • Doubletree
  • Hampton
  • Hilton Rialto

Any opinions? Perks, upgrades, good/great staff, lounges, full breakfast vs continental, etc?

Last edited by jasonvr; Nov 14, 2010 at 1:32 pm
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Anyone been to any of these recently?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: AA, US, WN, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Does the Casa Marina always require a 100% deposit? I was looking to book a room next year and it said a deposit (equal to the room + resort fee + tax per day) would be charged to my Amex Surpass today.

Also it is charging $25/night resort fee but says it is $15/night for Gold or Diamond. I assume they just adjust at check-in.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
When I go to keywest I prefer to stay away from the Chain hotels myself. I like staying in the old town area off duvall myself instead of the area where the resort hotels are at.

THe only chain hotel I know of that is right in the duvall area is "La Concha" which is either a HI or crowne plaza.

But I also don't have kids. If I was travelling with a family I might feel differently but if you are single or just travelling with your spouse or other adults I would recommend looking at non chain properties in KW.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:34 pm

Last bump. I have tentatively booked a 10 night stay at the Hilton Oceanfront and a 4 night stay at the Doubletree (I come home for a long weekend in between), so I guess if no one else responds I will at least be able to give a comparison between those two after I am back...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: None anymore
I'll toss in a few cents, as I live in the area.
* Hilton Beachfront:
As you know it was rebuilt after the `04 hurricanes gutted it. Lots of reports of poor room service, physical building issues(gaps in exterior doors, paper thin walls etc all. Generally this property is used in two ways.
1. Business bookings (People think a beach front hotel is the best thing around)
2. Locals wanting to party and not clean up/destroy their own house/apt.
>> Beach side police are awful! Look funny and they pull you over, Rolling stop, they roll you a ticket.Ride the line? Get a DUI check... Coupled with all the northern state drivers aka snowbirds can be a challenge

* Doubletree

Mixed reviews I haven't been to this property since the remodel. I'd say it is a safe bet since its little further north the the party people like to go.

* Hampton
Which one, there are two in the area. Both are pretty new. Both are great properties and close to the interstate food shoping

* Hilton Rialto

Great hotel! You can hit the airport from the front door. Good on site restaurant/bar. Close to everything and I mean everything! Depending on what your doing in the area this is IMHO your best choice.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 5:54 pm

Thanks for the reply but it leaves me quite confused. I certainly don't need to be down by the beach necessarily, but it would be nice, but as you've pointed out, neither gets stellar reviews. I am also looking at having my wife come out for the weekend I am staying out there and that would be nice to be down by the beach to just relax. I guess we could always move a little north to the Cocoa Beach area for that weekend. Maybe I'll switch to the Rialto for the times when I am there alone....

Thank you for the information
Old Nov 19, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
All of the beachside hotels were essentially gutted and rebuilt after the '04 hurricanes. The Rialto Hilton near the airport was also updated in '06.

As a local, I haven't stayed at many of the local hotels personally (other than the Rialto which I stayed in for a week when I first moved here), but I do know which ones people visiting my company like to stay at. The popular one is usually the Doubletree. Every room is ocean view with a balcony, and the rooms are all suites with a similar layout to an Embassy Suites. I'm actually staying there one night next week with my wife due to some work on my house; I'll try to remember to come back to post a review.

The Rialto Hilton is definitely a nice hotel, but the location isn't anything special. It's right next to a number of defense companies, the airport, and the corporate headquarters of Harris, but traffic here isn't bad enough that driving from the beach is difficult.

Some of my colleagues also like staying at the beachside Hilton and the Ramada next door, primarily because they're right across the street from Coasters, a great sports bar with a HUGE beer list. They like walking there after work from their hotel.

The Crowne Plaza by the beach is a bit of a local party spot. It has one of the few beachfront bars in town. It's probably the only hotel bar I've ever gone to while I'm not staying at the hotel.

If you like drinking unique beers, I'd recommend the beachside Hilton since you could walk to Coasters, but otherwise I'd recommend the Doubletree.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by realjd
All of the beachside hotels were essentially gutted and rebuilt after the '04 hurricanes. The Rialto Hilton near the airport was also updated in '06.

As a local, I haven't stayed at many of the local hotels personally (other than the Rialto which I stayed in for a week when I first moved here), but I do know which ones people visiting my company like to stay at. The popular one is usually the Doubletree. Every room is ocean view with a balcony, and the rooms are all suites with a similar layout to an Embassy Suites. I'm actually staying there one night next week with my wife due to some work on my house; I'll try to remember to come back to post a review.

The Rialto Hilton is definitely a nice hotel, but the location isn't anything special. It's right next to a number of defense companies, the airport, and the corporate headquarters of Harris, but traffic here isn't bad enough that driving from the beach is difficult.

Some of my colleagues also like staying at the beachside Hilton and the Ramada next door, primarily because they're right across the street from Coasters, a great sports bar with a HUGE beer list. They like walking there after work from their hotel.

The Crowne Plaza by the beach is a bit of a local party spot. It has one of the few beachfront bars in town. It's probably the only hotel bar I've ever gone to while I'm not staying at the hotel.

If you like drinking unique beers, I'd recommend the beachside Hilton since you could walk to Coasters, but otherwise I'd recommend the Doubletree.
Thanks for the input. My plans are changing all over the place. I still need to be out for three weeks, but might be coming home each weekend (first weekend my wife is having her wisdom teeth pulled). As such, I've booked Rialto for the first week now. She might still come out the second weekend and I'd like something nicer and beachside for her. Coasters is an interesting point. Might be nice to be able to walk over there, have a few and not have to worry about driving back to the hotel.

Interesting that some of your coworkers like the Ramada at all. I suppose I have somewhat of a jaded view of that place. It was one of the only hotels that survived the hurricanes and reopened almost immediately (since it is essentially a formed concrete monolith). I stayed there a couple of times as it was the only place I could get into. It was very damp smelling, both outside and inside. And their solution to the building inspector telling them that they couldn't open with the damaged balconies was to bolt all of the sliding doors closed by driving long screws thru the frame.

For anyone interested in seeing the damage after the hurricanes, I have posted my pics:

http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...cane%20Damage/
Old Nov 20, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Doubletree last month. The rooms are nice and clean but not luxurious. It is a 2 room "suite" with the bedroom facing the ocean and a small balcony. The living room area is small but comfortable. It had a tv in each room. You enter the room from a cat walk entrance outside. They give you a buffet breakfast valued at $12 -13 if you are gold or higher and a drink the first night. The pool area looked pleasant but we did not use it and the beach area was accessible from there. The staff was very friendly. We were visiting family but we had a pleasant stay at the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.