Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] DISCUSSION for Hilton Honors Hotels in Florida, USA {US-FL}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
I cannot talk about Tampa, but I go to Orlando very often. For a family vacation at Sea World, I would highly recommend the Hilton Grand Vacation Suites at Sea World. It is exactly what it is geared towards and lots of things for the kids to do as well... The convention center Hotel is not that family friendly...
Old Feb 23, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
I cannot talk about Tampa, but I go to Orlando very often. For a family vacation at Sea World, I would highly recommend the Hilton Grand Vacation Suites at Sea World. It is exactly what it is geared towards and lots of things for the kids to do as well... The convention center Hotel is not that family friendly...

Thanks for this suggestion also .. Looks great but totally booked up that week
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum
Using Axon for WA Key West

I did a search for Axon and WA and came up with 50 threads and I am not about to start reading each individual one.

On that note, I want to fly to Key West one way with my two year old and stay at either of the WA props using a AXON award. The points per night at either WA prop is 50,000 per night but if I were to use a AXON award for the property will I be charged 200,000 points for the four nights? I want to do this March 12th for four days.

Appreciate any advice I can get with this.

Oh with WA props, are the odds against me or with me (space available) to be upgraded being diamond? I have heard conflicting reports of WA's and upgrades but in Key West does anyone know if it happens or just plain doesn't?

When I sign into HH I come up with a DIA reward of 51k per night for a traditional room

Last edited by aspenedelen; Feb 24, 2013 at 1:02 pm
Old Feb 24, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Regarding axon's read this post in the axon thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...l#post16555294
which is linked in the making sense thread of reward options thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...hing-else.html

Regarding Key West there are a few reports (upgrades appear to be few and far between). See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...s-reviews.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...light=key+west
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...light=key+west
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:16 pm

I don't believe AXON awards are available at W=A properties. (Hopefully, I'm wrong and someone will correct me.)
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
You cannot use AXON at any WA properties.

Originally Posted by aspenedelen
I did a search for Axon and WA and came up with 50 threads and I am not about to start reading each individual one.

On that note, I want to fly to Key West one way with my two year old and stay at either of the WA props using a AXON award. The points per night at either WA prop is 50,000 per night but if I were to use a AXON award for the property will I be charged 200,000 points for the four nights? I want to do this March 12th for four days.

Appreciate any advice I can get with this.

Oh with WA props, are the odds against me or with me (space available) to be upgraded being diamond? I have heard conflicting reports of WA's and upgrades but in Key West does anyone know if it happens or just plain doesn't?

When I sign into HH I come up with a DIA reward of 51k per night for a traditional room
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:36 pm

Zach and RD, you both are absolutely correct that WA props are not enrolled with AXON. I called up the dia desk and she politely informed me that WA does not participate in AXON. I guess it is points all the way now.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

Taking a 2 year old - to Key West? We raised 2 kids, both very successful, well adjusted, would not even THINK about taking them to such adult locations. You did not ask for my opinion, but I would leave the rug rat at home with grandparents, or consider a more family friendly location, with fewer adult-oriented activities.

We are going to Key West in late October, booked the Reach as we plan to act like college kids on spring break, like the idea of being able to walk / crawl / taxi to the hotel in the wee hours.

As neither WA property has much of a beach, Gold / Diamonds don't get free breakfast, you may be better off using the AXON award at the Doubletree Grand Key http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...TDT/index.html. Decent enough property, free shuttle bus to a REAL beach, Montgomery Square and Duval Street, more kid friendly amenities. 4 nights in a category 6 will only set you back 125k points.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
Taking a 2 year old - to Key West? We raised 2 kids, both very successful, well adjusted, would not even THINK about taking them to such adult locations. You did not ask for my opinion, but I would leave the rug rat at home with grandparents, or consider a more family friendly location, with fewer adult-oriented activities.

We are going to Key West in late October, booked the Reach as we plan to act like college kids on spring break, like the idea of being able to walk / crawl / taxi to the hotel in the wee hours.

As neither WA property has much of a beach, Gold / Diamonds don't get free breakfast, you may be better off using the AXON award at the Doubletree Grand Key http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hot...TDT/index.html. Decent enough property, free shuttle bus to a REAL beach, Montgomery Square and Duval Street, more kid friendly amenities. 4 nights in a category 6 will only set you back 125k points.
I hear you when you say adult setting but I am very careful with what my little guy sees and does.

We just came back from a trip to Waikiki Beach in Honolulu and had a great time digging holes and making sand castles on the beach. We watched lots of volleyball games and overall he and I had a great time playing on the sand. I understand that there are some areas that are adult oriented and I make sure I stay away from them.

Miami has the same craziness that Key West has but we'll go down to the beach, make some sand castles and be done by noon or 1pm then back to the hotel for a stroll in the stroller down SB have dinner and be back by 4 or 5pm which is early enough so he doesn't get to see the debauchery that SB is well known for.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:09 pm

I hear you when you say adult setting but I am very careful with what my little guy sees and does.

We just came back from a trip to Waikiki Beach in Honolulu and had a great time digging holes and making sand castles on the beach. We watched lots of volleyball games and overall he and I had a great time playing on the sand. I understand that there are some areas that are adult oriented and I make sure I stay away from them.

Miami has the same craziness that Key West has but we'll go down to the beach, make some sand castles and be done by noon or 1pm then back to the hotel for a stroll in the stroller down SB have dinner and be back by 4 or 5pm which is early enough so he doesn't get to see the debauchery that SB is well known for.
The beaches at the EYW WA properties are effectively man made, NOTHING like Waikiki or Miami. It is difficult to understand why you are going through some extra pain, suffering and expense to get to Key West when Key Largo or Islamorada are MUCH more appropriate, Hilton properties are in both locations. If you are determined to experience EYW, the DT sounds like a MUCH better fit.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: AA Exe Platinum, AA & Delta Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium, United Silver
Using Axon for WA Key West

As a former Key West native (and still part time), you can have a great time with a child. The beaches aren't great, but Smathers and Zachary Taylor have nice enough beaches. Nothing like Miami or Hawaii though.
I have been upgraded at the Reach in the past, but its pretty rare. If you have a car, check out Hogfish grill on stock island. Great lunch, and there's usually some manatees swimming near the docks.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
You guys are worried about a two year old in Key West? As if the OP is going to take the stroller out at night and check out the R- and X-rated activities on the island?

If we were talking about an inquisitive 12-year-old, I'd be far more worried. The toddler will enjoy the beaches and nice weather.

Only question I'd have is whether you'd gain a whole lot of incremental value from your points at the W=A vs. just staying at the Hilton in Key Largo or wherever. But what the hell...in two months, 200,000 points isn't going to seem like much. That's 2 nights in a Doubletree in the devalued program. So if this is your last good shot at a high-end property that really interests you, go for it!
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:45 am

Since I couldn't book a AXON award thru WA in Key West I decided to book at the Bentley in Miami instead using a AXON award.

I took my little guy to Key West last year and briefly thought about the WA but at that point in time didn't know much if anything about the HH system.

We got in late at night and settled in then the next morning we got up early and drove the beach and played until my little buddie was content and tired. We then drove to a street near Duval, parked, then I put him in the stroller and we walked a mile up the street then a mile back to the car and left town for Naples.

We had a great time in Key West. I got to do what I wanted to do and my son didn't see any R or X rated material. He got to play in the sand, dig some holes and I read a great book.

Onto Miami which I presume will be just as enjoyable.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 9:55 am

I see you have decided on Miami instead, but I'm going to say what I was going to say anyhow.

I'm a lurker who came out of hiding to register and respond to this thread. I think that it is completely absurd to think that Key West is in appropriate for kids. We were in Key West a little over a year ago with our (then) 4 and 7 year old kids and had a delightful time staying at the Casa Marina. I wouldn't hesitate to return with my children. Of course, we weren't out with the kids on Duval St. at 10pm, but we did go out in the evenings for dinner and I didn't find it particularly wild early in the evening.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:20 am

OP's handle suggests they are flying from South Dakota, I just don't see why someone would make the extra effort to fly/drive to EYW for a warm weather / beach experience with a 2 year old, spend lots of points to stay at an upscale resort with not much of a beach, few such options in the general area.

Outside of Fantasy Fest, the drag bars, I agree that there are few questionable public displays for kids, but most everything is geared toward adults, there are MUCH BETTER places to take kids. Same goes for New Orleans or Las Vegas; when parents want to enjoy such venues, leave the kids at home...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.