Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Kacee
People have difference tolerance levels for traffic noise. Mine is pretty low, and I would not call the level of street noise at W/A a "minor irritation." It is a decision point level factor when I choose a hotel. Just like I won't pick a seat right next to the lavs on an overnight flight, whereas some travelers don't mind at all.
The current noise is not ‘standard’ construction by any means It’s the demolition of a building floor by floor, using jackhammers and drills. The noise is extremely loud, and non-stop. The pool can’t make up for that as it’s open air and right beside the construction.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:23 pm
G4L

I have a 5 night stay coming up on Sept 17th at W/A. Does anyone know if this construction noise will be over by then?
Old Jul 25, 2022, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G4L
I have a 5 night stay coming up on Sept 17th at W/A. Does anyone know if this construction noise will be over by then?
I have no idea how long it takes to deconstruct a building… but from one of the posts above it was suggested they will then build a new one, a police hospital. So that will take months.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:28 pm
G4L

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
I have no idea how long it takes to deconstruct a building… but from one of the posts above it was suggested they will then build a new one, a police hospital. So that will take months.
I have a King Deluxe Room Park View booked. As this is facing the park would the noise be damped a bit or is the Park View the worst option?

Also, I'm pretty new to the Bangkok scene. Is there any other hotel in the city that I should look at (Budget is ~350/night)
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by G4L
I have a King Deluxe Room Park View booked. As this is facing the park would the noise be damped a bit or is the Park View the worst option?

Also, I'm pretty new to the Bangkok scene. Is there any other hotel in the city that I should look at (Budget is ~350/night)
There are many truly excellent Bangkok hotels. It really depends on what's important to you. You might want to check out the Bangkok hotels thread in the luxury travel forum. Which Hotel in Bangkok? (Consolidated thread, started 2016)
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:28 am

I'm surprised if others are more relaxed about this, but personally there is no way I would knowingly book a hotel right next to a demolition site!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by G4L

We were in the same room category (14th floor) a couple days ago. These rooms are right next to the construction site. I would choose a different room type.
I have to agree with others regarding breakfast at the WA 👍.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:22 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
A recent and scathing review of the WA in Bangkok. Between this and the ongoing construction noise issue, I'm getting a bit nervous about our upcoming stay here ...

https://loyaltylobby.com/2022/06/19/...toria-bangkok/
Old Aug 3, 2022, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
A recent and scathing review of the WA in Bangkok. Between this and the ongoing construction noise issue, I'm getting a bit nervous about our upcoming stay here ...

Read the comments beneath, discrediting the reviewer, and don't put too much weight on one, two, or even three reviews. The vast majority are very positive.

The ludicrous criticism of what is very likely to the best breakfast buffet in the city, if not all of Thailand is what brought the entire article into question for me.

He also returned after a previous "horrific" experience. Absurd.

It seems he's mostly peeved his status (as a writer) didn't afford him a grander upgrade. Next time, book with Hilton, not a third party they have to split profits with and then expect the best upgrade they have to offer, cheapskate.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Read the comments beneath, discrediting the reviewer, and don't put too much weight on one, two, or even three reviews. The vast majority are very positive.

The ludicrous criticism of what is very likely to the best breakfast buffet in the city, if not all of Thailand is what brought the entire article into question for me.

He also returned after a previous "horrific" experience. Absurd.

It seems he's mostly peeved his status (as a writer) didn't afford him a grander upgrade. Next time, book with Hilton, not a third party they have to split profits with and then expect the best upgrade they have to offer, cheapskate.
Everything you say is completely fair and on point. I guess I'm just a bit anxious. We always stay at the Conrad. It is always a 7/10. Not fantastic, but good. Never bad. I would like to get some read on the likely construction situation by late 2022. I tried to find Mr. Olle's e-mail, but have not been successful so far ... as I'd like to hear the answer directly from him. So far, all I've seen him say on social media is 'construction is outside our control' ... which is true, but not very reassuring for this price point.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Criticism of the review aside… and they did focus on some silly things… the noise is a very real issue. As I said above it is constant and unrelenting all day if you have a park view room. I would not be stopping at the WA Bangkok until that is complete. Unless of course you are planning to be out 9-5
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A recent and scathing review of the WA in Bangkok.
From the review:
Breakfast personnel was not adequately trained. The server was barking “Coffee or Orange Juice” rather than asking what I would like to drink? I neither drink coffee nor orange juice. I lost my appetite and didn’t eat anything.
Such a delicate flower, that this interaction caused him to lose his appetite entirely

I had issues with the service at breakfast as well, but the food quality is truly superb. While I do love a good breakfast, however, that to me is not enough to make up for this property's other shortcomings.
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Impressario is a Hilton-sponsored rate, with an express upgrade benefit. This property's reluctance to upgrade in recent times is well documented, including by Escape4 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34143777-post249.html), who by his own description "used to be the biggest fan boy of WA BKK here on FT." When he sours on a property, that is something to pay attention to.
Chang11 and escape4 like this.

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 3, 2022 at 8:27 pm
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA

Maybe this will ease your mind a bit; service during breakfast (over a rather long stay, which overlapped with Songkran) has been consistently excellent back when I stayed in April. But then again, I probably wouldn't lose my appetite if someone asked "coffee or orange juice".

That said, construction would be a deal breaker for me. It wouldn't matter even if they didn't have a bad upgrade policy. What's the point of a hotel if you can't even get some rest?

There are so many choices in the city it just doesn't make sense to make that kind of compromise.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 9:13 pm

Looking at Trip Advisor, the construction of the new Police Hospital has been a noise issue since at least last December.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Airport transportation

Asked the hotel about airport transfers. Got the following response, wich might be usefull to know for some:"In regards to the information of our Hotel Limousine service enquiries, we are very grateful to offer our airport transfer options as following details;

• Mercedes Benz S500E AMG : maximum for 2 persons and 2 medium suitcases – 3,500 THB Net per one way per car.
  • Mercedes Benz Vito: maximum for 5 persons and 5 medium suitcases – 4,000 THB Net per one way per car."

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.