Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Delete - never mind

Last edited by Kacee; Aug 7, 2022 at 2:52 pm
Old Aug 7, 2022, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Where's the noise originating from?

I see a single small machine and no workers in sight during what appears to be working hours.

And to be clear, the hotel itself is now warning customers of the "terrible noise"? Saying that in such blunt terms, even if objectively (rather than subjectively) odd, and unbusinesslike.

Are they also advising guests stay elsewhere?

Again, hundreds of reviews from the last several months make no mention of this. Must be planted fakes I guess.
How do you know the photo was taken during working hours? There are barely any cars on the street below, not usual daytime traffic for that area.

Once underway during the day there are teams of workers, with drills and jackhammers.

You mention reviews over the last several months, when in reality the only reviews that are applicable are the most recent, where a third or so mention the noise.

I stayed at the property and experienced the noise. In one of those rooms. That’s not a third party report.

However, I can confirm the hotel is taking note of the issue and like the report above, they have given feedback that they are either temporarily closing the rooms, and/or warning prospective upgrades, that the noise can be an issue.

That returns the choice to the guest - to either accept the upgrade, or take a quieter room. That’s the key issue… hotels should have that information available on their website at the time of booking, or in a subsequent email, to give guests the choice.
Roger Lococco and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 11:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The construction is certainly not an issue for the Deluxe Suite rooms. I’ve stayed every month or so this year. No outside noise at all (there are 2 a floor and they’re both next to one another).

It does sound like some types of room are going to be problematic for a while though. For a hotel the calibre of the WA (it’s my fav modern style city hotel anywhere globally - and I’ve been to a few in my time), that is a problem.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 1:13 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
it seems most of the outrage originates from people who've never stepped foot in the property, while 99% of those who have, don't find noise rising to a intrusive level.
Actually from the early days of this thread, various FTers mentioned the noise issue; there was discussion about the surprising lack of double glazed windows considering a hotel of this caliber. Also discussed was the fact that Deluxe Suites can be more desirable than Corner Suites for some guests despite being lower in the ordering of room types $$$, in part due to noise. These were discussion points even before any kind of construction work even started near the hotel, and was entirely focused of street noise, drivers revving engines in the night, and the noise from the BTS track line.

Then came the demolition/construction of the Police Hospital on the other side of the street from WA which was a bit in the distance but nonetheless close. And now even worse, as per the pictures it's the building next door to WA.

So this issue is not new at all, and it's only getting worse.

Not to mention the fact that many room types which had great views are now partially an eye sore due to demolition. All of which contribute to making the Deluxe Suites a stand out since they never had views to begin with and were never those with a noise problem.
Kacee and Dave510 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, CX Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat Elite
-Deleted

Last edited by geenie; Aug 10, 2022 at 9:21 am Reason: forgot to quote previous message.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Actually from the early days of this thread, various FTers mentioned the noise issue; there was discussion about the surprising lack of double glazed windows considering a hotel of this caliber. Also discussed was the fact that Deluxe Suites can be more desirable than Corner Suites for some guests despite being lower in the ordering of room types $$$, in part due to noise. These were discussion points even before any kind of construction work even started near the hotel, and was entirely focused of street noise, drivers revving engines in the night, and the noise from the BTS track line.

Then came the demolition/construction of the Police Hospital on the other side of the street from WA which was a bit in the distance but nonetheless close. And now even worse, as per the pictures it's the building next door to WA.

So this issue is not new at all, and it's only getting worse.

Not to mention the fact that many room types which had great views are now partially an eye sore due to demolition. All of which contribute to making the Deluxe Suites a stand out since they never had views to begin with and were never those with a noise problem.
We stayed pre-Covid. I remember a dirt lot across the street from the WA...was that the Police Hospital? And are the deluxe suites at the back of the building facing other buildings? I think we stayed in a deluxe suite; has a separate seating area, huge bathroom with a big round tub.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 10:26 am

Thanks for clarifying the third party nature of the report.

Again, I've been there multiple times during this construction period, and it seems most of the outrage originates from people who've never stepped foot in the property, while 99% of those who have, according to the reviews they took the time to write, don't find noise rising to a intrusive level.

I'll stick with the observations of my lying ears, and those of hundreds of others who've actually been guests during the last year.
The noise issue is real. I was there mid July, from Friday, checking out on Monday.
We had two rooms with the exact same view as in the picture above. It was nice and quiet on Sat and Sun. Right after 9am on Monday, the construction noises were noticable in the rooms. Lucky for us, we only have to deal with it for 30 minutes before checking out.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
How do you know the photo was taken during working hours? There are barely any cars on the street below, not usual daytime traffic for that area.

Once underway during the day there are teams of workers, with drills and jackhammers.

You mention reviews over the last several months, when in reality the only reviews that are applicable are the most recent, where a third or so mention the noise.

I stayed at the property and experienced the noise. In one of those rooms. That’s not a third party report.

However, I can confirm the hotel is taking note of the issue and like the report above, they have given feedback that they are either temporarily closing the rooms, and/or warning prospective upgrades, that the noise can be an issue.

That returns the choice to the guest - to either accept the upgrade, or take a quieter room. That’s the key issue… hotels should have that information available on their website at the time of booking, or in a subsequent email, to give guests the choice.
My issue isn't that there may be some intermittent city "background" construction noise.

It's the absurd assertions and exaggerations by people who haven't stepped foot in the hotel.

A 1/3rd of recent reviews complaining about noise? Nonsense. No, that's too weak. It's a lie. Tripadvisor and Google reviews show nothing of the sort in the last few months. I advise everyone to read them for themselves.

We've had the same person here claiming it's 7 days a week, inescapable and intolerable, and been going on for the better part of a year.

When that's challenged by multiple posters including myself who were actually there during the supposed intolerable noise the goalposts are moved over and over to narrow the period.

The evidence? A photo of a construction site that's been in that state for over a year, and a third hand report from someone claiming to speak with staff, who, oddly for Thais, are ready to disparage their employer's business.

Is everyone else, including recent extended stay guests writing reviews deaf? Am I deaf? Or perhaps we're all liars.

Again, are the hundreds of overwhelmingly positive recent reviews fake, and the low single digit number of reviews mentioning "noise" reflective of the situation? Such a small ratio of complaints to praise are the "noise" one learns to filter out when evaluating.

It's the lack of common sense, logic, and the certainty regarding "7-day a week" "intolerable and inescapable noise" from those amplifying this nonsense that's irritating.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's quite a view
Better to keep the curtains closed
Old Aug 10, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
My issue isn't that there may be some intermittent city "background" construction noise.

It's the absurd assertions and exaggerations by people who haven't stepped foot in the hotel.

A 1/3rd of recent reviews complaining about noise? Nonsense. No, that's too weak. It's a lie. Tripadvisor and Google reviews show nothing of the sort in the last few months. I advise everyone to read them for themselves.

We've had the same person here claiming it's 7 days a week, inescapable and intolerable, and been going on for the better part of a year.

When that's challenged by multiple posters including myself who were actually there during the supposed intolerable noise the goalposts are moved over and over to narrow the period.

The evidence? A photo of a construction site that's been in that state for over a year, and a third hand report from someone claiming to speak with staff, who, oddly for Thais, are ready to disparage their employer's business.

Is everyone else, including recent extended stay guests writing reviews deaf? Am I deaf? Or perhaps we're all liars.

Again, are the hundreds of overwhelmingly positive recent reviews fake, and the low single digit number of reviews mentioning "noise" reflective of the situation? Such a small ratio of complaints to praise are the "noise" one learns to filter out when evaluating.

It's the lack of common sense, logic, and the certainty regarding "7-day a week" "intolerable and inescapable noise" from those amplifying this nonsense that's irritating.
I’m not sure what skin in the game you have here, but I just reread the most recent tripadvisor reviews, plus the post immediately above yours here, and my own experience. The july reviews on tripadvisor feature noise complaints in 2 out of the 6. The hotel’s replies even acknowledges the noise.

Are you calling out the hotel’s General Manager as well?

I wonder if some of the gushing reviews have been written by influencers… that’s fine in itself. But they are highlighting their supposedly fabulous lifestyles, rather than any problems?
hugolover and escape4 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:33 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Just so everyone is (figuratively and literally) on the same page: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...k.html#REVIEWS

3 of the reviews on the first page mention construction noise (UncensoredLips, LLSullivan and WWGG) and they were posted in July. Personally I did not experience any construction noise during my 18 night stay in April, but different phases of construction entail different levels of noise. I don't see why there's any reason multiple contributors would lie about construction noise so I'm not inclined to dismiss their experiences.

The safest way is to contact the hotel directly and inquire about the construction.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
We stayed pre-Covid. I remember a dirt lot across the street from the WA...was that the Police Hospital? And are the deluxe suites at the back of the building facing other buildings? I think we stayed in a deluxe suite; has a separate seating area, huge bathroom with a big round tub.
Yes, across from the BTS line is the Policy Hospital construction site. The Deluxe suites are indeed at the complete opposite end of the building, facing other buildings. What you describe seems to be this room type with the seating area
Troopers likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
The reply from the GM regarding a complaint is poor, and very short and almost rude:
Dear LLSullivan,

Thank you for your feedback. Unfortunately, in large cities, there are often ongoing developments and these are not within our control.
We apologize that the Wifi did not work well and thank you for sharing that, as we have not experienced challenges with this previously.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:53 pm

most of the outrage originates from people who've never stepped foot in the property, while 99% of those who have, according to the reviews they took the time to write, don't find noise rising to a intrusive level.
Originally Posted by Dave510
3 of the reviews on the first page mention construction noise (UncensoredLips, LLSullivan and WWGG) and they were posted in July.
Ghoulish you seem to take offense to inaccurate statements and exaggerations ... but: "From people who've never stepped foot in the property" = I only counted one, did I miss others? Lots of people here on FT commenting about noise have indeed stayed at the hotel before, calling into question your 99%.

I find it more valuable to hear people's varying opinions and experiences objectively rather than 99% hyperboles, "absurd assertions", "deaf" or "liars".
Roger Lococco and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 10, 2022, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Are you calling out the hotel’s General Manager as well?
Maybe he's not part of the 99% who do not notice or acknowledge the noise, because technically the GM is not "staying" at the hotel if he does not sleep there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.