Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
Looking at Trip Advisor, the construction of the new Police Hospital has been a noise issue since at least last December.
I was there In Dec, March and June.

Perhaps I need to have my hearing checked, because I heard nothing but the normal city background noise when outside and nothing inside.

If this were a real problem, they'd be inundated with scathing reviews by people who've actually stayed there(hint: hearing loss must be widespread among the hotel's guests), the analysis of Google Maps and a DYKWIA blogger notwithstanding.
Diplomatico and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jongesander
Asked the hotel about airport transfers. Got the following response, wich might be usefull to know for some:"In regards to the information of our Hotel Limousine service enquiries, we are very grateful to offer our airport transfer options as following details;
  • Mercedes Benz S500E AMG : maximum for 2 persons and 2 medium suitcases – 3,500 THB Net per one way per car.
  • Mercedes Benz Vito: maximum for 5 persons and 5 medium suitcases – 4,000 THB Net per one way per car."

​​​​​
The van is a very luxurious ride indeed. You were required to use it as part of the Covid Thai Pass isolation package.

You can get to the hotel easily in a nice clean "normal" van for 1/4 of the price, but it's a long flight and a very pleasant ride into the city.

.. and extra spend seems very, very appreciated by that WA, improving upgrade prospects.

I make a point of booking a spa service with them ahead of time as well.
Chang11 likes this.

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 5, 2022 at 8:21 am
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Looking at Trip Advisor, the construction of the new Police Hospital has been a noise issue since at least last December.
I stayed there for three days in mid-July. Noise from the construction site was a complete non-issue. The only reason I knew there was a construction site was because it was visible.

Regarding the breakfast "issue" someone mentioned previously - the breakfast was phenomenal and the service was excellent. I highly recommend the truffle eggs.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
I was there In Dec, March and June.

Perhaps I need to have my hearing checked, because I heard nothing but the normal city background noise when outside and nothing inside.

If this were a real problem, they'd be inundated with scathing reviews by people who've actually stayed there(hint: hearing loss must be widespread among the hotel's guests), the analysis of Google Maps and a DYKWIA blogger notwithstanding.
Weekday, park view room, between 9 and 5? The reviews on trip advisor are reasonably consistent.

There might be some influencers staying there who are choosing to get their money shots over complaining about the noise. But it was certainly noticeable for us, and worthy of coming here to FT to mention it.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Weekday, park view room, between 9 and 5? The reviews on trip advisor are reasonably consistent.

There might be some influencers staying there who are choosing to get their money shots over complaining about the noise. But it was certainly noticeable for us, and worthy of coming here to FT to mention it.
I'm not doubting what you experienced.

I also don't doubt the hugely disproportionate number of positive recent reviews in comparison to the low single digit reviews that mention noise.

I've been there multiple times and never experienced anything I would consider intrusive, and neither have 95% of the reviewers. Others here have also failed to notice any appreciable noise in that period.

We know there's a negative review bias, so an even higher proportion of very satisfied to dissatisfied customers exist than the reviews imply. Surely this mass of people are neither deaf, dishonest, or deluded.

Safe to say either truly bothersome noise was transient, or simply doesn't rise to the level most would notice.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
I'm not doubting what you experienced.

I also don't doubt the hugely disproportionate number of positive recent reviews in comparison to the low single digit reviews that mention noise.

I've been there multiple times and never experienced anything I would consider intrusive, and neither have 95% of the reviewers. Others here have also failed to notice any appreciable noise in that period.

We know there's a negative review bias, so an even higher proportion of very satisfied to dissatisfied customers exist than the reviews imply. Surely this mass of people are neither deaf, dishonest, or deluded.

Safe to say either truly bothersome noise was transient, or simply doesn't rise to the level most would notice.
overall the reviews are extremely positive and well deserved, but the noise complaints take up roughly a third of the most recent reviews.

Going back before then the reviews aren’t really relevant to the noise.

Last edited by LHR/MEL/Europe FF; Aug 6, 2022 at 7:12 pm Reason: fixin gramer
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
overall the reviews are extremely positive and well deserved, but the noise complaints take up roughly a third of the most recent reviews.
Which is a pretty high percentage considering probably half the rooms are directly impacted.

I'm in the "there are just too many other good hotels in Bangkok to put up with this" camp.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:24 am

Programs: Some
I’m not sure this is true at all - half of the properties on TripAdvisor with ratings of four out of five are absolute dumps in my experience (the rating generally needs to be 4.5 or 5 out of five to be a good hotel) and many properties engage in some form of ‘managing’ their reviews and rating. Once an issue is mentioned in multiple TripAdvisor reviews (say three or more) it is very much a real issue in my experience.
ChinaShrek and Kacee like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 6:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold

Going back before then the reviews are really relevant to the noise.

For what it is worth, the construction site is pretty empty at the moment. The real work is still to start. Also bear in mind this in Thailand, they work 7 days, and long hours sometimes until 8pm or later. Very relaxed rules when it comes to noise. I suspect the issue will get worse.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:09 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
From yesterday. Front desk said the noise is really bad and if you get the upgrade the room will have the construction view with a lot of noise. Gentleman directing the front said the noise is terrible. I don’t see this being completed for quite some time.

Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:13 am
Suspended

From yesterday. Front desk said the noise is really bad and if you get the upgrade the room will have the construction view with a lot of noise. Gentleman directing the front said the noise is terrible. I don’t see this being completed for quite some time.

Where's the noise originating from?

I see a single small machine and no workers in sight during what appears to be working hours.

And to be clear, the hotel itself is now warning customers of the "terrible noise"? Saying that in such blunt terms, even if objectively (rather than subjectively) odd, and unbusinesslike.

Are they also advising guests stay elsewhere?

Again, hundreds of reviews from the last several months make no mention of this. Must be planted fakes I guess.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Wheres the noise originating from?

I see a single small machine and no workers in sight.

And to be clear, the hotel itself is now warning customers of the "terrible noise"?

Are they also advising guests stay elsewhere?

Again, hundreds of reviews from the last several months make no mention of this. Must be planted fakes I guess.
Feel free to not believe it I guess. My report is from a good friend who I asked to stop by there yesterday. They are Thai and they spoke with the staff.

The noise is coming from demolishing the old building and it will come from building the new one.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:20 am
Suspended

Feel free to not believe it I guess. My report is from a good friend who I asked to stop by there yesterday. They are Thai and they spoke with the staff.
Thanks for clarifying the third party nature of the report.

Again, I've been there multiple times during this construction period, and it seems most of the outrage originates from people who've never stepped foot in the property, while 99% of those who have, according to the reviews they took the time to write, don't find noise rising to a intrusive level.

I'll stick with the observations of my lying ears, and those of hundreds of others who've actually been guests during the last year.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:32 am

Thanks for clarifying the third party nature of the report.

Again, I've been there multiple times during this construction period, and it seems most of the outrage originates from people who've never stepped foot in the property, while 99% of those who have, according to the reviews they took the time to write, don't find noise rising to a intrusive level.

I'll stick with the observations of my lying ears, and those of hundreds of others who've actually been guests during the last year.
Sounds good. I’m not trying to convince you otherwise. Just sharing what my friend learned and saw. They did say that it’s only during the day.

Last edited by Roger Lococco; Aug 7, 2022 at 10:39 am
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:43 am

I stand corrected. It wasn't a third party report. It was a third party report of a third party report.

Your friend didn't even hear the noise himself, lol.

So yes, I choose to believe the more substantive experience of actually being there.

Ironically your own friend, whom you asked to investigate the noise, was there and didn't hear it himself.

You don't see how ludicrous that is?
I asked them to try to determine if the construction would be going on through the year, if the noise will be an issue, and if there were rooms that would not be subject to it.

Anyway, it seems like you’re taking the noise issue at the WA somewhat emotionally. I’m happy if the hotel works for you. I’m trying to decide if it works for me.

I don’t agree with your premise that the construction site and noise are not an issue for everyone else.
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by Roger Lococco; Aug 7, 2022 at 10:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.