Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You should also get 500THB F&B spend per person, something like 1,000THB off a certain spend at the spa and 25% off F&B for cash spend on top of bonuses. I always book via FHR or similar to additionally get $100USD credit.
Question about FHR booking for those that have used it at this property: Do stays here post/count as eligible stays for HH purposes?

The reason I ask is that the rate shows up as “EXPEDIA” when I look at booking details on hilton.com. Clicking into that, I see Amex FHR and reference to online free night (it is not a free night but maybe there is a BxGO promotion that I’m not using).

I booked using the Amex Canada website and the stay has shown up in my Hilton account, despite not having a field to enter my Honors number. I assume it has simply matched this info from my Amex profile. I understand that Amex online bookings are fulfilled by an Expedia corporate platform, which may explain the “EXPEDIA” description.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by CXYYZ
Question about FHR booking for those that have used it at this property: Do stays here post/count as eligible stays for HH purposes?

The reason I ask is that the rate shows up as “EXPEDIA” when I look at booking details on hilton.com. Clicking into that, I see Amex FHR and reference to online free night (it is not a free night but maybe there is a BxGO promotion that I’m not using).

I booked using the Amex Canada website and the stay has shown up in my Hilton account, despite not having a field to enter my Honors number. I assume it has simply matched this info from my Amex profile. I understand that Amex online bookings are fulfilled by an Expedia corporate platform, which may explain the “EXPEDIA” description.
It posted fine for us last December with a similar booking. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33784398-post217.html
CXYYZ likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mcgahat
It posted fine for us last December with a similar booking. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33784398-post217.html
Ah perfect - I missed this. Thanks!
mcgahat likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
The past five pages or so have been taking about noise and construction, and while useful, I’m wondering if anyone has any other input on a recent stay post lifting all restrictions after Covid
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
The past five pages or so have been taking about noise and construction, and while useful, I’m wondering if anyone has any other input on a recent stay post lifting all restrictions after Covid
I think the recent discussion includes where covid restrictions were lifted? The hotel is lovely… can’t really be faulted… except for the noise, which was the main issue for those in the affected rooms. The only other limitation, which may have changed, is that one of the restaurants was closed back in July.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 2:59 am

Just came back from a stay over the weekend.

The staff upon check in informed that normally i would be given an upgrade but due to the construction on going they advised that I take the rooms facing the central world direction.

The noise is actually quite bad in the afternoon. The construction noise could be hear on the floor level while walking towards our room.
However, once in our room which was facing central world direction, the noise could not be heard.

There was no restaurant being closed as my host was introducing all the f&b restaurant on the property and even encouraging me to make reservation for them if needed be.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Miltani
Just came back from a stay over the weekend.

The staff upon check in informed that normally i would be given an upgrade but due to the construction on going they advised that I take the rooms facing the central world direction.

The noise is actually quite bad in the afternoon. The construction noise could be hear on the floor level while walking towards our room.
However, once in our room which was facing central world direction, the noise could not be heard.

There was no restaurant being closed as my host was introducing all the f&b restaurant on the property and even encouraging me to make reservation for them if needed be.
The closed f&b outlet was likely The Champagne Bar, which I believe is still closed (someone in BKK could perhaps confirm?)
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by Dave510
The closed f&b outlet was likely The Champagne Bar, which I believe is still closed (someone in BKK could perhaps confirm?)
Correct, the Champagne Bar remains closed (at least as of last week).
Dave510 likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:01 am

Programs: Show me the points!
Just got back from the property. Not the best stay, not the worst.

As a Diamond member, I checked in the day before arrival via the app and chose a standard King room on the 15th floor. Upon arrival, I wasn't upgraded (whatever), but beyond that and to my surprise, I was given and recommended a room on the 10th floor by the elevators. Ok...

The room had a decent layout with some windows off the sitting area. However, it wasn't until I had to shower later that evening that I realised the shower didn't drain properly and flooded the bathroom. Someone came up, said it was fixed - it wasn't - same deal in the morning and by the way, the water didn't even get that hot. Oh, and the lighting in the bathroom ain't great - very hard to shave without using vanity mirror.

We were excited for the pillow menu - we love a good latex pillow. Oh, nevermind, they're out of stock.

Time for bed, turning off the lights... or so I thought. The light in the mini-bar cabinet that's across from bed won't turn off. Bummer. Guy couldn't fix that either - "tomorrow."

The next day, the duty manager K. Vanit made things right by giving us a much nicer room (Astoria, which I don't even think was for sale due to the construction, so it was a win/win). The lights worked and the shower drained, so it worked for us.

On the flip side, the hotel is lavishly appointed and the staff couldn't have been kinder. The breakfast is stunning as well and has real barista coffee.

As a HH Diamond and Marriott Plat, when I go back for a trip like this, I will stay at the StR. Much more polished and much nicer benefits.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 8:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The water not getting hot enough has been an issue at the WA.
Old Oct 16, 2022, 7:59 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Utterly ridiculous that water won't get sufficiently hot. What are the so-called management thinking in not fixing such a basic issue?!
Old Oct 16, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
Originally Posted by NoY
Utterly ridiculous that water won't get sufficiently hot. What are the so-called management thinking in not fixing such a basic issue?!
Apparently, the GM is Australian. Which, if you've ever spent time in Australian hotels, explains a lot.

Also not mentioned in my review:
- Wifi in bedroom was poor
- Didnt get coconut on arrival
- Accidentally left DnD on during the day when we were out. Came back as gent was just attempting turndown. Wife asked him to come back in an hour, he said "just call." Never got any room service that day.
NoY, Cynicor, Dave510 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by nichojo; Oct 17, 2022 at 2:46 am
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Lack of truly hot water isn't uncommon in newish Bangkok properties. I'd blame current very low building standards rather than property management. The same is evident in the lack of soundproofing at this property (i.e., single paned windows).
Old Oct 17, 2022, 6:51 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Gold, Oman Gold
Agree, I have yet to find a hotel in Bangkok that offers consistent hot water, most often baths are lukewarm. They don't seem to have the capacity to handle when busy. Even my condo drops off dramatically when peak times.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:07 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
My wife insists on taking very, very hot showers & has never complained about lukewarm water (believe me she would! ) in the Millennium Hilton, Marriott Marquis & others. Our villa in Phuket has scolding hot water always available too - mind you I have ensured that thermostats are turned up to high!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.