Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by paul00
I recently stayed on a FHR rate as a Diamond member.

The Diamond member THB 1,000 F&B credit does not stack with the 'Like A Member' 25% off F&B discount.

The Diamond member THB 1,000 F&B credit can be combined with the FHR USD 100 F&B credit.

I was allowed to split my restaurant spending into 2 bills – one bill totalling at least USD 100 + THB 1,000 charged at the regular price (to which both the FHR F&B credit and Hilton Honors Diamond F&B credit could be applied), and another bill with the remaining items charged with a 25% discount applied.
Wow, thanks - I'm assuming all this was handled at checkout. I'll be there next week and will report back on my experience.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Stayed at the WA BKK lately and feel like everything is trending worse compared to my stay in April 2022. The staff seems less polished, the upgrades are stingy (which is quite rare in BKK, since competition is so fierce) and issues with the hardware are starting to show.

I think I'm prepared to write this hotel off and stay with either PH in the city centre, or Capella/FS near the river.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dave510
Stayed at the WA BKK lately and feel like everything is trending worse compared to my stay in April 2022. The staff seems less polished, the upgrades are stingy (which is quite rare in BKK, since competition is so fierce) and issues with the hardware are starting to show.

I think I'm prepared to write this hotel off and stay with either PH in the city centre, or Capella/FS near the river.
I'm using 2 FNC's next week here. Any other Hilton in BKK that's a better option. First time in BKK so its going to be mostly markets/sightseeing
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:47 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

In fairness to WA, Capella is in a completely different league so it will crush WA any day of the week but that is to be expected given the price tag. FS is a more realistic match-up WA but FS is quite a disappointing hotel so if forced to choose between one or the other I would still pick WA despite my recent concerns. PH is also a good comparison with WA, probably even more so due to location which is city center like WA whereas FS is a riverside hotel in less convenient location. I used to prefer WA over PH but given the improving treatment at PH for repeat Globalist guests and increasingly generous upgrades and loyalty recognition, combined with similar deterioration at WA, I now have PH ahead of WA by a hefty margin despite PH not being perfect itself...

Capella >>> PH > WA > FS
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
In fairness to WA, Capella is in a completely different league so it will crush WA any day of the week but that is to be expected given the price tag. FS is a more realistic match-up WA but FS is quite a disappointing hotel so if forced to choose between one or the other I would still pick WA despite my recent concerns. PH is also a good comparison with WA, probably even more so due to location which is city center like WA whereas FS is a riverside hotel in less convenient location. I used to prefer WA over PH but given the improving treatment at PH for repeat Globalist guests and increasingly generous upgrades and loyalty recognition, combined with similar deterioration at WA, I now have PH ahead of WA by a hefty margin despite PH not being perfect itself...

Capella >>> PH > WA > FS
Agreed, PH is far from perfect (I had a major service failure but they did make it right), but still better than WA.

Did you cover the issues with FS in your reviews? I am curious how they messed up.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
I'm using 2 FNC's next week here. Any other Hilton in BKK that's a better option. First time in BKK so its going to be mostly markets/sightseeing
If limited to Hiltons, then WA is still probably your best bet.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:08 pm

Did you cover the issues with FS in your reviews? I am curious how they messed up.
Yes I somewhat covered my perceived negatives in my review of FS last time. I would not say they "messed up", except for an extremely weak breakfast for a hotel of this caliber, which is the complete opposite to the superb breakfast at WA. Other issues are not about messing up but rather poor design and simply lack of wow factor in terms of service. Even WA has many features of service which beats FS, particularly in the restaurant for breakfast.
Dave510 and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 9:36 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Acid
Wow, thanks - I'm assuming all this was handled at checkout. I'll be there next week and will report back on my experience.
The splitting into 2 bills was done at the restaurant when I signed the bills. The restaurant staff taught me this method

At check-out, the FHR USD 100 F&B credit and the Hilton Honors Diamond THB 1,000 F&B credit were both applied to the first bill by the front desk associate.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
After reading all these reviews with very stingy status recognition, I chose to book the Siam Kempinski for less money + higher room category. I know these hotels don't compare but for a stay of just 3 nights the Siam Kempinski is better located. And as a gold member, I think I will probably get even less than diamonds get. Sad really, but it might be the right choice to wait for WA to restore itself
Old Jan 31, 2023, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Compliment
After reading all these reviews with very stingy status recognition, I chose to book the Siam Kempinski for less money + higher room category. I know these hotels don't compare but for a stay of just 3 nights the Siam Kempinski is better located. And as a gold member, I think I will probably get even less than diamonds get. Sad really, but it might be the right choice to wait for WA to restore itself
Far better breakfast at WA than Kempinski. Different league all together.
Old Jan 31, 2023, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Not to mention that breakfast won't even be free at Kempinski even for top tier status, which WA gives for Golds let alone Diamonds.

And for upgrades, as stingy as WA BKK has become, Kempinski Siam has always been.
Compliment likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 8:53 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Originally Posted by escape4
Not to mention that breakfast won't even be free at Kempinski even for top tier status, which WA gives for Golds let alone Diamonds.

And for upgrades, as stingy as WA BKK has become, Kempinski Siam has always been.
Stayed there in December. did not requested the suite upgrade because we needed two separate beds.
WA Bangkok breakfast is currently on top of my list as hotel breakfast. Yes, not the widest spread, but the quality and a la carte options combining with fruits freshness and Illy coffee made wirh LaMarzocco machine.
As a side note, Gloria Jean's coffee chain uses LaMarzocco machines too. Those machines are the quality label.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:29 pm

Programs: AY, Accor, Hilton - Gold
You are really making it hard for me
I still have till end of feb to decide which one to cancel. I heard a lot about the breakfast! Unfortunately on the last day we have to leave at 5 in the morning. WA will probably have some small breakfast package right? At least the Okura had that and it was nice.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:36 pm
Suspended

I still have till end of feb to decide which one to cancel. I heard a lot about the breakfast! Unfortunately on the last day we have to leave at 5 in the morning. WA will probably have some small breakfast package right? At least the Okura had that and it was nice.
Things will be slowing down in Feb, and you'll have a good chance of a decent upgrade.

Make your personal concierge aware of your early departure and they'll likely sent some breakfast up. Room service is 24 hours and the kitchen is excellent.

While I wasn't given an upgrade this time (hotel was truly full for the New Year holiday) they did allow a 7AM early check in, which, saving me another night's expense was even more welcome.
Compliment likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 2:38 pm

I never requested early breakfast, but for what it's worth I remember one time we had to leave (very) early morning and expected to come back to the hotel close to end time of breakfast (11am). They agreed to prepare something for us in a box and left it in the room so we could have early lunch / late breakfast
Compliment likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.