Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:44 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
Just stayed there a couple of days ago and be advised that the large building next door is being demolished. It’s being done floor by floor, by hand… so non-stop big drills and jack-hammers.

It’s loud… really loud… all day from around 9am until after 5. Even through the double glazing in the bedrooms the noise is very noticeable. The pool? Well, you can imagine.

All rooms overlooking the golf course/racecourse are affected. I think it’s going to take them several weeks to complete the works, so anyone thinking of staying might want to look for alternatives.
I was going to ask about this. I believe that it's the new Police Hospital. If so, I'm assuming there will be a build after they tear down the current structure. If that's the case, then there will be noise, dust, and an ugly setting for a long time.

Would love to be told differently, as we have our stays 5 months.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 5:49 am

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think location is a matter of opinion. The downside with the SGS and hotels around there are 1. The road is now almost permanently blocked and 2. The copious amounts of hookers and their johns.

At the WA you miss the convenience of an attached BTS stop, but you’re 2 hotels down from the one at the St Regis in one direction or 4 minutes walk from CentralWorld (and from there the other major dept stores) in the other direction.

I think that the Park Hyatt has the best location of any bangkok hotel, but I’d definitely rather be closer to Chit Lom than Asok as far as locations go.
Having lived in Bangkok, including very close to Asok once and very close to Emporium once ...

1. Worst hotel location. All the hotels on the river. I would never stay here.
2. Average / Acceptable location. Asok area. Good vibe. Great restaurant selection. In between our two favorite areas (Paragon on one end and Emquartier on the other end). SGS, Westin, Landmark, etc.
3. Great location. Either Emporium / Emquartier (e.g. Chatrium, Doubletree, etc.) ... or Erawan (e.g. WA, GH). St. Regis is a bit of a walk and I prefer to walk out into the action. Slightly less preferable would be the JW, in part because of immediate area.
4. Best location. InterCon. It's a real shame the old InterCon was torn down btw, but I guess that is what have us Paragon.
Ghoulish likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I think location is a matter of opinion. The downside with the SGS and hotels around there are 1. The road is now almost permanently blocked and 2. The copious amounts of hookers and their johns.

At the WA you miss the convenience of an attached BTS stop, but you’re 2 hotels down from the one at the St Regis in one direction or 4 minutes walk from CentralWorld (and from there the other major dept stores) in the other direction.

I think that the Park Hyatt has the best location of any bangkok hotel, but I’d definitely rather be closer to Chit Lom than Asok as far as locations go.
I'd rather be connected directly to BTS/MRT and shopping via the skyway. Though I agree Asok intersection is an absolute disaster.

The biggest issue I have with W/A is the lack of soundproofing. Too much traffic noise for my taste. And that was when they were still upgrading elites to the premium suites.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'd rather be connected directly to BTS/MRT and shopping via the skyway. Though I agree Asok intersection is an absolute disaster.

The biggest issue I have with W/A is the lack of soundproofing. Too much traffic noise for my taste. And that was when they were still upgrading elites to the premium suites.
How bad is the WA soundproofing issue? What are options for base rooms wrt views and sides of the building?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Roger Lococco
How bad is the WA soundproofing issue? What are options for base rooms wrt views and sides of the building?
I've never stayed in a base room. I've always booked the base suite and been upgraded to a 1BR Astoria Suite, though I understand they won't do that anymore. The Astoria Suites are on the corner of the building with Sports Club views, but unfortunately that's also the street side and there was a fair bit of traffic noise, particularly the motorbikes. It doesn't bother some, but to those who are sensitive to noise, it is definitely above norm for a high-end hotel and enough to make me pause at ever booking again (I compare, for example, to SGS, where you hear nothing in the rooms).
Roger Lococco and Ghoulish like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 12:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
As mentioned by Kacee , least affected are the Astoria Suites because they are on the higher floors. Also good are the Deluxe Suites which are in the back of the building but no views. Entry level rooms and Corner Suites (which are on low floors) are quite poor for soundproofing for a hotel of this caliber.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF mentioned double glazing of windows - really? WA does not have such windows as far as I know, hence the noise problem. Perhaps he was on a room type or floor where I did not stay before.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by escape4
As mentioned by Kacee , least affected are the Astoria Suites because they are on the higher floors. Also good are the Deluxe Suites which are in the back of the building but no views. Entry level rooms and Corner Suites (which are on low floors) are quite poor for soundproofing for a hotel of this caliber.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF mentioned double glazing of windows - really? WA does not have such windows as far as I know, hence the noise problem. Perhaps he was on a room type or floor where I did not stay before.
The Deluxe Suites are great, and always gotten them as Diamond after booking a base room.
escape4 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:25 pm

This is a tough decision. The location is great. I'd love to try the WA. But I'm concerned about the noise from the construction of the new Police Hospital and now it sounds like the rooms are not adequately sound-proofed. Moreover, I am reading mixed success on upgrades for Diamonds.

Cross-shopping 3 weeks of stays against the SGS ... where I'm an Ambassador with Marriott and could potentially get preferential treatment.

And against the Conrad, where we usually stay but to some degree is not the most convenient location.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
The Deluxe Suites are great, and always gotten them as Diamond after booking a base room.
What is the view from those suites?
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Moreover, I am reading mixed success on upgrades for Diamonds.
It's mixed between room types, but I think their policy is being consistently applied for all Diamonds. If booking entry level room, your chances of Deluxe Suite are very high. If booking a Deluxe Suite or above, your chances of upgrade are near zero, availability or not.

What is the view from those suites?
Deluxe Suites views = roof of adjacent buildings
Old Jul 24, 2022, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)

OK ok I've been sprung!! It was my first time at a Waldorf Astoria and I just assumed the windows would have been soundproofed!! 🥺🥺
escape4 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:00 pm

If booking entry level room, your chances of Deluxe Suite are very high.
I am one of the unlucky Diamonds then. I booked a king deluxe room, and got "upgraded" to a king deluxe room with park view, overlooking the half demolished building and the golf course.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 8:35 am

Correct. Single-pane windows.

Cross-shopping 3 weeks of stays against the SGS ... where I'm an Ambassador with Marriott and could potentially get preferential treatment.
You'll certainly get the published benefits, which are generous. Suite upgrades can be a challenge. Breakfast is very good, but a cut below W/A, which is truly outstanding.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Correct. Single-pane windows.

You'll certainly get the published benefits, which are generous. Suite upgrades can be a challenge. Breakfast is very good, but a cut below W/A, which is truly outstanding.
The world class breakfast and spa would go a long way towards offsetting any minor irritations. The views from breakfast, and the pool are both magnificent. The "building tops" I saw during one stay were mostly beautiful manicured green spaces with pools.

It's Bangkok and construction is happening everywhere. There's no complete respite from the daytime construction noises.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
The world class breakfast and spa would go a long way towards offsetting any minor irritations.
People have difference tolerance levels for traffic noise. Mine is pretty low, and I would not call the level of street noise at W/A a "minor irritation." It is a decision point level factor when I choose a hotel. Just like I won't pick a seat right next to the lavs on an overnight flight, whereas some travelers don't mind at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.