Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:52 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
What is the PA? I don't know any Hyatt with those initials.

StR has a much nicer pool than W/A.
Sorry, it was a typing mistake. It is the PH (park hyatt).
Old Jan 16, 2022, 9:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by alanslegal
Just a quick comparison for my upcoming stay

WA is 20,000/3 nights (I am Diamond)
PH is 22,000/3night (Hyatt nobody, but rate includes breakfast)
SR is 18,0000/3nights (LTG but includes breakfast, and St Regis might upgrade to Metropolitan Suite (they pre-upgraded me last week until a change of plans))

Decisions? Which pool is best? I like the infinity nature of the PA but the WA seems quite lovely up at the pool deck too.
The WA is comfortably the best hotel, unless you really value proper two room suites and have status with Hyatt or Marriott which it sounds like you don’t (LTG at Marriott is unlikely to often get you the upgrade). The usual WA Diamond upgrade is not what I would call a suite, but nonetheless it’s an incredible room.

I’d say the St Regis arguably has the weakest pool, but as above some people seem to love it. The WA’s looks kinda awkward, but is actually really nice to spend time in, especially for sunset. I’d rate the PH in the middle - it’s a cool infinity pool, but that’s not a big deal in bangkok.

The PH has the best location and a cool rooftop bar (as well as Siwilai social club being downstairs in the Embassy Mall). The WA has the best bar. The St Regis has the best food.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM

SR is 18,0000/3nights (LTG but includes breakfast, and St Regis might upgrade to Metropolitan Suite (they pre-upgraded me last week until a change of plans))

Decisions? Which pool is best? I like the infinity nature of the PA but the WA seems quite lovely up at the pool deck too.
I stayed at all 3 hotels last week (I was hotel hopping around Bangkok). None of the three hotels above have impressive pools.

Of these 3 hotels, I was least impressed with PH. There was nothing wrong with my stay. However, nothing was really exceptional about it either. My wife did detect a sewage odor in the hotel but I didn't notice.

At the SR, we had a standard room with a view of the RBSC. I have Marriott gold status which means I'm really a nobody at Marriott hotels. However, the room was much more to my liking than our corner room at the PH. Service at SR is so good I was a bit overwhelmed.

Of the 3 hotels, I was most impressed with WA. I'm diamond which still means something outside of the US. I loved our room. Service here is also very good. Breakfast was the best of the three hotels.

If you want a very nice pool, I think you might enjoy the Okura hotel across the street from the PH as well as the FS by the river.
EuropeanPete, craig44485 and Kacee like this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 7:42 pm

PMJI, but you write that the WA is 20K? The way you wrote it, it would appear its is 20K for 3 Nights, but even for 1 night it seems impossibly low!
Similarly, the SR @ 18K points (even for 1 night) appears low

What dates are these rates for?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:52 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by puchong
PMJI, but you write that the WA is 20K? The way you wrote it, it would appear its is 20K for 3 Nights, but even for 1 night it seems impossibly low!
Similarly, the SR @ 18K points (even for 1 night) appears low
What dates are these rates for?
In THB not in points.
EuropeanPete and Chang11 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:01 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Back at Waldorf BKK after 2 years or so and I’m impressed that the hardware has lasted very well - immaculate carpets, furniture, spa/gym etc. Food is as good as I remember. The welcome back and instant recognition from all staff from the moment I arrived was a special feeling. Incidentally, I hadn’t planned to
stay at WA, intending to sample the Kempinski Sindhorn, which I decided very shortly after check in was not for me and asked to check out and transfer to the WA. Credit to the Kempinski they were very gracious in allowing me to (nothing drastic, but the hotel was overly busy, the executive suite wasn’t quite as I had imagined - view of essentially nothing/low floor - and hotel overall did not seem to be in the same segment as WA, although admittedly I cannot make a fair comparison).
Old Feb 16, 2022, 7:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EGW1
Back at Waldorf BKK after 2 years or so and I’m impressed that the hardware has lasted very well - immaculate carpets, furniture, spa/gym etc. Food is as good as I remember. The welcome back and instant recognition from all staff from the moment I arrived was a special feeling. Incidentally, I hadn’t planned to
stay at WA, intending to sample the Kempinski Sindhorn, which I decided very shortly after check in was not for me and asked to check out and transfer to the WA. Credit to the Kempinski they were very gracious in allowing me to (nothing drastic, but the hotel was overly busy, the executive suite wasn’t quite as I had imagined - view of essentially nothing/low floor - and hotel overall did not seem to be in the same segment as WA, although admittedly I cannot make a fair comparison).
WA is a notch above Kempinski Sindhorn, but that said Kempinski is nonetheless one of the better hotels in the city in my opinion. The issue is comparing to WA which is world class...

Most comparable room types at Kempinski are larger than at WA so the price per sq meter is below, which is fair since WA is a more luxurious hotel.

Also you are right that views are nothing special at Kempinski, but at WA many rooms do not have views either, or some do but low floors with noise problems which is less of a problem at Kempinski.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by escape4
WA is a notch above Kempinski Sindhorn, but that said Kempinski is nonetheless one of the better hotels in the city in my opinion. The issue is comparing to WA which is world class...

Most comparable room types at Kempinski are larger than at WA so the price per sq meter is below, which is fair since WA is a more luxurious hotel.

Also you are right that views are nothing special at Kempinski, but at WA many rooms do not have views either, or some do but low floors with noise problems which is less of a problem at Kempinski.
Indeed … I must say that the Kempinski manager was very gracious for my admittedly difficult to please preferences. I also agree that WA has some less than impressive city views and lacks suitable noise isolation for my ears in forward rooms. Since I have been at the WA for 5 nights or so and extended my stay in Bangkok, I think I will move to the StR for a few nights to wrap up this trip to Thailand. I am overall more impressed with WA than I previously remember. I did manage to have a few lunches at Park Hyatt and enjoyed those very much, although I have encountered so many issues with PH rooms in the past that I would not return. Back on topic, the WA is still a stellar hotel, and my preference in the city/CBD (as opposed to the river) would be WA or StR … my overall preference in Bangkok will always be Mandarin Oriental. I’d recommend WA to anyone.
escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by escape4
We stayed in an Astoria suite on a low floor facing Ratchadamri Road in early January. We didn't experience any noise problems and thought the windows did a good job keeping the noise out. The BTS passed by our room every few minutes and since I'm a fan of trains, this delighted me (almost as much as the time we had a room facing the Shinkansen tracks at the FS Marunouchi).

Originally Posted by EGW1
Back on topic, the WA is still a stellar hotel, and my preference in the city/CBD (as opposed to the river) would be WA or StR … my overall preference in Bangkok will always be Mandarin Oriental. I’d recommend WA to anyone.
We were hotel hopping in Bangkok in early January. We also stayed at the Okura, PH, FS, SR, Conrad, and Athenee. My favorite was the FS but for overall value for money and a superb experience, the WA wins by far. The excellent quality of the room, the warm service, and the outstanding breakfast buffet (even better than FS) makes me want to return to this hotel ASAP. In fact, I'm hoping to book this hotel for Christmas and New Year but I'm waiting for rates to be loaded.

I too would prefer to stay at the MO, but during our stay, the base room was going for THB 34,000. No thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 10:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Interesting note about the FS - I’d say both the hard product and the design of the WA are far beyond the new BKK FS which felt not only a bit cheap (these things are of course relative) but also entirely without design flair. Service at the FS was also somewhat erratic with limited English spoken - my assumption is that it’s very based towards Chinese tourists.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 12:32 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by francophile
We stayed in an Astoria suite on a low floor facing Ratchadamri Road in early January. We didn't experience any noise problems and thought the windows did a good job keeping the noise out. The BTS passed by our room every few minutes and since I'm a fan of trains, this delighted me (almost as much as the time we had a room facing the Shinkansen tracks at the FS Marunouchi).

We were hotel hopping in Bangkok in early January. We also stayed at the Okura, PH, FS, SR, Conrad, and Athenee. My favorite was the FS but for overall value for money and a superb experience, the WA wins by far. The excellent quality of the room, the warm service, and the outstanding breakfast buffet (even better than FS) makes me want to return to this hotel ASAP. In fact, I'm hoping to book this hotel for Christmas and New Year but I'm waiting for rates to be loaded.

I too would prefer to stay at the MO, but during our stay, the base room was going for THB 34,000. No thanks.
I guess "low floor" is subjective but to be precise the Astoria suites I not on the lowest floors of the hotel. The bottom 2 floors facing BTS are the corner suites which I did not like much; Astoria suites are above.

Regarding FS you make it sound like breakfast was pretty good in January (and WA even better); I am not sure if they have improved it but last time I stayed a few months ago, the breakfast at FS was a sorry affair at that time, and hugely inferior than WA's breakfast. I let them know of my disappointment, sounds like they have upped their game since then to something quite respectable even if they remain a notch below WA.
Old Feb 17, 2022, 2:50 am

While staying at Capella (which although had excellent Thai food, was lacking in Western food) I did a quick tour of the FS, and viewed a couple of room categories - both rooms (premier river view and studio river view suite) were lacking a balcony, which for me at least was a big minus for riverside. The design was a little bland, although chic, and I’ve no doubt the bed would be extremely comfy based on other FS experiences. I was also struck that the pool area and rooms are not substantially private … they are often overlooked or look into other rooms. That said, I found the Italian restaurant and Cafe Madeline to be exceptional … the indoor/outdoor bar and Palmier were so so. A little off topic, but I was surprised at the amount of trash buildup around the banks of the river at FS and Capella … not something I’ve ever seen at Mandarin Oriental. I would perhaps try FS if the price was right, although at circa double WA rates I’d have to think hard about it! Mandarin Oriental, yes I agree rates post refurb have become very steep, although it is among my very favourite hotels and hard to resist!
Old Feb 27, 2022, 10:05 pm

Stayed at WA Bangkok earlier this month on an excellent FHR rate of US$224 nett. was upgraded before arrival to a deluxe suite. breakfast is top notch, swimming pool beautiful (and don't tell me you don't need a heated pool in bangkok, it really does wonders).

i think this might be the best time to stay while rates are depressed. feel free to ping me with any questions about the experience.

full review: https://milelion.com/2022/02/28/revi...toria-bangkok/
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2022, 7:17 am

Tried WA BKK for test and go then extended stay, fantastic experience from airport meet and greet, transfer, testing onsite (result within 4 hours) and then subsequent 6 night stay. Another excellent stay!

Old Mar 21, 2022, 10:08 am

Is this the room you booked or the room you upgraded to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.