Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 2:09 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by yerffej201
I'm used to standard suite upgrades at Hyatt and Marriott. At Hilton, I know it's 'may'. so does this property not give an upgrade to a standard suite here if you're diamond? i.e. a suite with separation between living room and bedroom
Depends what room type you book. If you book the entry level room then I think the best you can hope for is the deluxe suite which is more akin to a junior suite = no separation between the living room and bedroom.

When booking the entry level room, I have better success receiving "standard suites" upgrades (as you define it = separation) at Park Hyatt and at St.Regis than I do at WA BKK.

That won't stop me from staying at WA once in a while but if the most important on your list is standard suites upgrades then WA might not be the best fit for you.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:47 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by antipest
Well what do you expect when drinking an afternoon tea for breakfast?
To be accommodated
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:04 pm

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok = Most Generous Room Upgrade So Far

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok

Map| 4 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok

151 Ratchadamri Road Lumpini Bangkok, TH 10330

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok = Most Generous Room Upgrade So Far (10 Photos)

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok

I have returned to WA Bangkok for the first time in the last few months and had another great stay, this time with my best room upgrade so far at this property which I previously thought was out of bounds, therefore I thought it might be an interesting new data point for others to consider.  It was also the first time I stayed in a room on a low floor facing the road so I can chime in with my perspective about the noise level which others discussed in the past.

Room

I recently mentioned earlier in the thread that if booking the entry level room, Diamond guests were unlikely to receive a full suite with the living room separated from the bedroom and that the best that can be hoped for was the deluxe suite which is more like a junior suite.  Well in light of my recent stay, I take that back.  I was successful on a Best Rate Guarantee but the BRG was for the entry level room only, therefore this is what I booked.  Subsequently I contacted the hotel and asked about a paid upgrade to the corner suite but due to high occupancy at the tail end of Chinese New Year this room type was not available, so I decided to keep with my original room type.  Upon check-in to my surprise we were upgraded all the way from entry level room to the Astoria Suite despite the low BRG rate and despite possibly above average occupancy, which was very generous and once again they proved to me how well they treat returning guests.  

Other guests commented before about the noise level from the street but I never had a room on a low floor before so it was not an issue for me.  In the past when I booked a corner suite they upgraded me to an Astoria suite on the left side of the hallway with the better views of the sports club.  This time, given that I booked the basic room, they upgraded me to the “lesser” Astoria suite: low floor and on the “wrong” side = city views mostly.  You have to go closer to the windows and look on the left to see the sports club.

IMG_9309.jpegIMG_9310.jpegIMG_9312.jpegIMG_9313.jpeg

Also from the bedroom you have a view of Grand Hyatt so not particularly attractive.  

IMG_9308.jpeg

Anyway this is fully understandable – guests booking higher categories of rooms should get the better upgrades, or guests booking the Astoria suite outright should also get the better views and higher floors.   Some like @EGW1 even commented that he prefers a deluxe suite in the back of the hotel because they are more quiet so he would take a downgrade.  I can see that point of view now after my recent stay.  During the night I could hear some motorcycles who are testing their engine power by speeding on the main road at the early hours of the night when there is no traffic.  It did not bother me to the point that I would refuse an upgrade to a low floor Astoria suite, because after all that room is fantastic.  However I can better understand guests that prefer the more quiet rooms.  Also one other note is that I previously commented that WA being a new hotel I found the rooms to be in pristine condition.  The latest room we had had some modest wear & tear which was a first for me.

Dining

Breakfast at WA remains a highlight and I did not observe any cutbacks since our previous stay.  I recently stayed at 137 Pillars Suites in Bangkok which in some ways had a more luxury breakfast than WA: free flow bubbly in a small private room on a high floor with views of the city, and a very extensive a la carte menu.  WA’s breakfast could probably offer more a la carte choices if they want to compete but despite all of this I think WA remains my number one breakfast in Bangkok.  Fruit selection is great, figs, pomelo, passion fruit, jack fruit, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and mango lovers such as @Kacee and myself will be pleased to know that this time the mangoes were placed on a shelf behind the counter and were not coming from a fridge.  The hot dishes were great as usual, fried rice with scallops, yellow curry shrimps, thick pieces of sea bass, etc.  

IMG_9331.jpegIMG_9333.jpegIMG_9334.jpeg

The hotel is generous with us with room upgrades and when we stay there we usually return the favor by spending on the property including ordering from the room service menu on a few occasions.  I would not be surprised if ancillary spending possibly contributes to returning guests receiving better room upgrades so it’s a win-win situation.

IMG_9323.jpeg

Service

Service is still excellent at least for us.  Despite not staying there for a few months, on our first morning we were addressed by name as soon as we arrived in the restaurant and they even remembered our choice of drinks.  Either some staff have exceptional photographic memory, otherwise they must have an early morning meeting to go over pictures and names of previous guests along with favorite drinks, in either case it’s impressive.  Another very appreciated service was that one morning we had an appointment early morning in the city and could not eat breakfast before leaving, and we suspected that we would be back to the hotel only after the cut-off time of 11am.  A shame missing this breakfast!  I asked the hotel if they could bring some food to our room around noon instead.  When we came back we had a special delivery waiting for us which was a nice gesture since in-room dining breakfast is not supposed to be a benefit.

IMG_9324.jpeg

Overall

For us it was another great stay at WA and we’ll be back for sure.  However it should be noted that a high floor Astoria suite on the left side of the hallway is materially better than an Astoria suite on a low floor looking on the right.  If I was paying for that room out of pocket rather than receiving an upgrade I would suggest asking ahead of time for the better variety of that room type.  If it’s an upgrade then I will never complain about what they assign to us, otherwise the deluxe suite is a fine place to stay minus the views and minus the huge space too.

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok = Most Generous Room Upgrade So Far

Would you like to write a review on the Waldorf Astoria Bangkok?

No, thank you.
Yes
Troopers likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Great upgrade! And good news on the mangos

How does that differ from the corner suite? Looks very similar.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
How does that differ from the corner suite? Looks very similar.
Part of the confusion is that both the "Corner Suite" and the "Astoria Suite" are in the corners

Corner suites are normally in the range 11-14k THB, are 90 square meters, and are only on floors 6-7.

I believe in the past you booked the Corner Suite, and you got upgraded to an Astoria Suite which is why you think it looks similar - I suspect you never stayed in a corner suite. The Astoria suites are also in the corner but are much bigger at 140 sq meters and normally in the neighborhood of 20k THB per night. On floors 8-11 the plan is like this one.

On floors 12-14 the Astoria Suite xx16 is similar to those on floors 8-11. However on the "city" side (xx18) the suites are even bigger according to the plan = these are the 2-bedroom suites.

And on floor 15 it's one giant room taking both sides = the Royal Suite.

So technically in my opinion the best one-bedroom Astoria suite is 1416 - the highest floor for such room type and on the sports club side. The worst Astoria suite is 818 - the lowest floor for this room type and on the city side. However 818 is still better than the Corner Suites below 618 and 718 which are not only on lower floors but also smaller.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Great review, I was also in residence, possibly around the same time! I was offered the same upgrade (although not on a BRG), but opted for a deluxe suite as normal. How’s the noise from the construction site? I could certainly hear it from the pool, jackhammering. I do still prefer the high floor deluxe suites for the quietness ... I am sensitive to noise and the corner suites (or Astoria suites) are for me above tolerance in the living areas at least. I had another enjoyable stay too ... but I did also notice a bit of the wear and tear you mention. Food was particularly outstanding this trip.
escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by EGW1
Great review, I was also in residence, possibly around the same time! I was offered the same upgrade (although not on a BRG), but opted for a deluxe suite as normal. How’s the noise from the construction site? I could certainly hear it from the pool, jackhammering. I do still prefer the high floor deluxe suites for the quietness ... I am sensitive to noise and the corner suites (or Astoria suites) are for me above tolerance in the living areas at least. I had another enjoyable stay too ... but I did also notice a bit of the wear and tear you mention. Food was particularly outstanding this trip.
Maybe we got the Astoria suite because you declined the upgrade, thank you sir Just kidding!

We could hear some muted noise from the living room but not from other rooms of our suite. Obviously from the pool the noise must have been louder since you were outside, but the window in our room could block some of it.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by escape4
I believe in the past you booked the Corner Suite, and you got upgraded to an Astoria Suite which is why you think it looks similar - I suspect you never stayed in a corner suite. The Astoria suites are also in the corner but are much bigger at 140 sq meters and normally in the neighborhood of 20k THB per night. On floors 8-11 the plan is like this one.
It seems you're right; I checked my folios, and I've been in 816 and 1016. Both were large. The traffic noise (motorbikes) was a particular issue in 816, but not enough to interfere with sleep. (The hard bed was more of an issue for me.)
escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
I love this hotel and their breakfast so much but Im usually roped into staying at the Park Hyatt instead simply because I usually need the nights to keep status.

It's not he biggest breakfast buffet Ive seen anywhere in the world, but in terms of quality I cant think of any place that tops it. The breakfast here is amazing.
escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by jinrop
I love this hotel and their breakfast so much but Im usually roped into staying at the Park Hyatt instead simply because I usually need the nights to keep status.

It's not he biggest breakfast buffet Ive seen anywhere in the world, but in terms of quality I cant think of any place that tops it. The breakfast here is amazing.
have you been to conrad Tokyo or Osaka? Wondering how it compares, esp to Osaka which is amazing quality, I feel.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cynicor
have you been to conrad Tokyo or Osaka? Wondering how it compares, esp to Osaka which is amazing quality, I feel.
I have not been to Conrad Osaka unfortunately. Also it's been a few years since I stayed at Conrad Tokyo so my memory is not entirely clear on their breakfast and it might have changed since then, that said it never struck me at the time as being nearly to the level of WA Bangkok.
Cynicor likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 12:18 pm

Have been to all three, and overall the WA BKK breakfast was the best, unless you particularly enjoyed the Japanese item (in which case Conrad Tokyo wins).
Cynicor, craig44485 and escape4 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 6:24 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors
My subjective opinion is that WA BKK beats Conrad Tokyo for sure in terms of breakfast.
escape4 likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:57 am

Thanks. When people tell me a breakfast is good, it's hard to know what to compare it to! At least here I have other diamonds who may have travelled to other HH brand hotels to help!

I'm at the Ramada Revelstoke, Canada and its breakfast gets rave reviews on TA. Trust me when I say, you'd rather sit in your room and eat a bag of fresh sugar snap peas...
Old Feb 16, 2020, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This place is a ghost town. It must be haemorrhaging cash, no wonder they’re as mean as “M&S Buy on Board, Alex Cruz” with the upgrades... 17% occupancy midweek .

That can’t be sustainable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.