Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2022, 10:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EGW1
I think the sweet spot for me in terms overall value is an upgrade to Deluxe Suite.
The Astoria Suite is a very nice room, therefore I used to think that booking Corner Suite was a sweet spot because of the potential upgrade to Astoria Suite. However given their recent change in policy, our opinions have converged: I now fully agree with you, for Diamonds the sweet spot is to book entry level and get upgrade to Deluxe Suite.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2022, 1:00 am

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by escape4
The Astoria Suite is a very nice room, therefore I used to think that booking Corner Suite was a sweet spot because of the potential upgrade to Astoria Suite. However given their recent change in policy, our opinions have converged: I now fully agree with you, for Diamonds the sweet spot is to book entry level and get upgrade to Deluxe Suite.
​​​​​​
For as long as that will last. Maybe eventually they'll decide it's better to leave the studio suite empty than to upgrade a Diamond from a base room, because of extra housekeeping and wear and tear...
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:03 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Originally Posted by Dave510
​​​​​​
For as long as that will last. Maybe eventually they'll decide it's better to leave the studio suite empty than to upgrade a Diamond from a base room, because of extra housekeeping and wear and tear...
If they do, that’ll be their policy, and I’ll live with it or go elsewhere, like any of us can if we don’t like a particular hotel’s policy. I hear you - you didn’t get what you wanted or thought you’d be entitled to as an upgrade - it has happened to lots of us, and now you know for future.
Dave510 likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 11:04 am

As if this was not enough, for my November stay with $3k USD spend I received 3x Hilton points on my Amex Aspire card instead of 14x and the hotel has been unable to explain or fix this issue. I always got 14x in the past so something changed in how to report expenses to Amex, and they say nothing changed.

I don't know your specific situation, but my charge at the Conrad Koh Samui on our Aspire also only received 3X instead of 14X. I contacted Amex and they made the adjustment (awarded me the difference, so added 11X to my account) after they confirmed the charge was from a Hilton property. The charge was 2 weeks ago, so might be an Amex issue? In any event, hopefully you were able to get it resolved by calling Amex.
Old May 1, 2022, 12:50 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by DFW1003
I don't know your specific situation, but my charge at the Conrad Koh Samui on our Aspire also only received 3X instead of 14X. I contacted Amex and they made the adjustment (awarded me the difference, so added 11X to my account) after they confirmed the charge was from a Hilton property. The charge was 2 weeks ago, so might be an Amex issue? In any event, hopefully you were able to get it resolved by calling Amex.
I double-checked my last stay at Conrad KS in 2021 and I correctly received 14x. Yes I eventually received the points I was supposed to have at WA BKK but it took many enquiries with Amex, Hilton, and the hotel itself.

It's partially an Amex issue in the sense that getting those problems fixed is infinitely more hassle than the process with Chase where a simple message does the trick. But why incorrect points get posted in the first place is a hotel-specific problem and not a widespread Hilton issue because most of my stays are fine. Usually I have a problem with newly branded Hilton hotels only, not established ones like WA BKK.
Old May 9, 2022, 2:17 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Got surprise email that I have earned a complimentary room upgrade from HH for my upcoming stay 3 days later, this 1N stay was booked with my Aspire card free award certicate expiring 06/30. I just checked my HH account and my new upgraded room is King Deluxe Suit, which is very nice.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:25 pm

Any recent dp regarding space available upgrade at this hotel?
​We have a stay coming up at this hotel in 2 days (2 rooms using free night certs). One is under my account and the other is under my spouse's account. We are both Diamonds. I emailed the hotel a few days ago with a simple request for a room with a king bed and a room with two twin beds. The hotel wants 1000 baht/night extra for the two twin bed room (next category from standard room). Even though the amount is not a lot, whatever happens to space available upgrade for Diamonds? Is that not a thing at this hotel?
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
Any recent dp regarding space available upgrade at this hotel?
​We have a stay coming up at this hotel in 2 days (2 rooms using free night certs). One is under my account and the other is under my spouse's account. We are both Diamonds. I emailed the hotel a few days ago with a simple request for a room with a king bed and a room with two twin beds. The hotel wants 1000 baht/night extra for the two twin bed room (next category from standard room). Even though the amount is not a lot, whatever happens to space available upgrade for Diamonds? Is that not a thing at this hotel?
Call the hotel directly and ask if, as a Diamond member, an upgrade would be possible.

This is one of my favorite hotels in the world, and I've always had my expectations exceeded. On rare occasions things are overlooked. They always rose to the occasion in my experience. I'm confident you'll be fine.

Enjoy the breakfast, I once heard it was considered the best in Bangkok by some.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Ghoulish
Call the hotel directly and ask if, as a Diamond member, an upgrade would be possible.

This is one of my favorite hotels in the world, and I've always had my expectations exceeded. On rare occasions things are overlooked. They always rose to the occasion in my experience. I'm confident you'll be fine.

Enjoy the breakfast, I once heard it was considered the best in Bangkok by some.
May be because I didn't mention in the email that we are Diamonds? But I never had to mention the status when I emailed IC or Conrad in SE Asia. They always found out and replied with "thank you for being...".
​​​​​​Hopefully, I won't regret for switching from the Kimpton.

​​​​​​
Old Jul 19, 2022, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
May be because I didn't mention in the email that we are Diamonds? But I never had to mention the status when I emailed IC or Conrad in SE Asia. They always found out and replied with "thank you for being...".
​​​​​​Hopefully, I won't regret for switching from the Kimpton.

​​​​​​
Once, I wasn't notified of an upgrade until arrival.

I would contact them specifically mentioning Diamond status.

I would be surprised if you weren't pleased at the end of your stay, as long as you give them the courtesy of a chance to correct this.
asdfghjk likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 8:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As a regular visitor to the hotel I always get their Deluxe Suite as my Diamond upgrade (note: is not a suite, but is a lovely room). I suspect these might be King bed configuration only, so perhaps a follow up with a bit more detailed email explaining that you would like a twin room instead of a suite upgrade might help. I consistently get great service here, but others have reported issues with communication.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
As a regular visitor to the hotel I always get their Deluxe Suite as my Diamond upgrade (note: is not a suite, but is a lovely room). I suspect these might be King bed configuration only, so perhaps a follow up with a bit more detailed email explaining that you would like a twin room instead of a suite upgrade might help. I consistently get great service here, but others have reported issues with communication.
No, that was not an issue with communication.
Below is their exact reply. It kind of pissed me off reading that. And it was from a guest relations supervisor.

"Thank you very much for your query, we are pleased to assist you to make your stay as unforgettable one.

Well noted for your request for the one king bed and one twin bed close to each other.

Twin bed is unavailable in your room category(Deluxe Room) that you booked, to secure the twin room (Twin City View) please noted that It need to be supplement charge 1,000THB++

Please kindly confirm us to secure last unit of our twin room asap."
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:07 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
By "issues with communication" I don't mean linguistic misunderstandings, but that the email communication to customers isn't any good. As evidenced in your example. On site, I've never had any issues even remotely like that.

You can understand where they're coming from. As they note, Twin beds are not available in the category you booked. It wouldn't be unreasonable for them to offer an upgrade early for Diamond customers, but it's also not unreasonable if they pointed out that upgrades are space available only. Presumably there's a reason why you booked a King bed room when you wanted a Twin?
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Presumably there's a reason why you booked a King bed room when you wanted a Twin?
​​​​​​Yes, I used free night certificates for this stay and only king rooms are considered standard rooms.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sounds like typical W/A arrogance, treating award guests as second class citizens. Experienced same at Beverly Hills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.