Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waldorf Astoria Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: KF, MPC, BAEC // Bonvoy, WoH, Honors

Again, very impressed with this property. Excellent Diamond recognition - everyone knew you by name throughout the entire stay. The hotel has made some good hires from other top properties in town, and it shows as the hotel already operates like a well oiled machine. Best breakfast selection out of the hotels in Bangkok I have stayed at (granted, I have yet to stay at the MO or The Siam).

Leaps and bounds better than the Park Hyatt which we spent 4 nights at as Globalists last year. Service at that property is well intentioned but confused at best.

Sharing some photos of the 1br Astoria Suite (140 m2) which we were moved to due to faulty aircon unit in our original room.

craig44485, ulus and Troopers like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by exerda
This is more akin to the regular king rooms I've had in BKK and TYO and SIN, among others.
Junior Suite: Yes. Regular King room: Definitely not. Never had a 75 sqm regular King Room in a property even close to that standard. It's about the size of a real suite at the Conrad Tokyo, but with no extra living room. Personally I prefer one big room to 2 smaller rooms, but that is my personal taste. Presidential Suites etc. are nice to talk about getting them as an upgrade. But staying there doesn't make much sense for 1-2 guests as long as there are no special things included like a big jacuzzi etc. Some suites are just two connected regular King Rooms and for me the Deluxe King Suite at the WA is definitely better than that.

From my point of view the WA BKK is one of the better WA, especially regarding service-oriented staff.

Whether it's worth the money or not depends on how much you care about money and how much you like other people doing things for you. If you don't need much service, it's hard to beat Airbnb in BKK anyway.
Kilian Zoll and craig44485 like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Kilian Zoll

Again, very impressed with this property. Excellent Diamond recognition - everyone knew you by name throughout the entire stay. The hotel has made some good hires from other top properties in town, and it shows as the hotel already operates like a well oiled machine. Best breakfast selection out of the hotels in Bangkok I have stayed at (granted, I have yet to stay at the MO or The Siam).

Leaps and bounds better than the Park Hyatt which we spent 4 nights at as Globalists last year. Service at that property is well intentioned but confused at best.

Sharing some photos of the 1br Astoria Suite (140 m2) which we were moved to due to faulty aircon unit in our original room.
A very beautiful suite. Very tastefully done and spacious.

The Siam is a very, very different kind of property to this one. You should give it a shot, as, it is very well regarded by most in the Luxury Hotels forum.
Kilian Zoll likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
Back in Bangkok and gave this place another go...

For context had been staying at St Regis for 4 days prior and was upgraded to a lovely Astor suite, but due to a last minute extension, and no rooms at the St Regis, I took the nearest available alternative, the WA. Booked via the Hilton app the night before arrival.

On check in day, I was allocated an upgraded park view room. Arrived around 5pm and enquired at check in about any suites, but was told they were fully occupied (as always seems to be the case at this WA!). High floor room was ok ... but then I realised the air con was extremely loud even on its lowest setting (like a car engine noise). What ensued was a series of room moves (handled very very well by staff I must say) but nonetheless it took 4 rooms before I found something I could settle in (eventually taking one on a lower floor with a park view). One room suffered from stains across the walls (looked like wine or food) and the other the same noisy AC unit. I did get to see a lot of rooms and they are all slightly different.

What perturbed me was that during various discussions with different staff and DMs the room availability seemed to change all the time, and suites were sometimes full, sometimes available for an extra 12k THB a night!

Room choice didn’t really matter in the end, because the traffic noise from the main road in front of the hotel until around 1am prevented decent sleep (think motorbikes and Tuk Tuk revving). I am quite a light sleeper, but I would say it is noisier than most would like...you’d have to take a room towards the rear (no view) to avoid this.

The main problem however is that there’s now a building site directly in front of the hotel ... looks like a military hospital has been knocked down and is being redeveloped, so you can forget any peace and quiet at the pool. Constant jackhammering from around 8am to 5pm (the expensive suites at the front of the hotel would I think look at least partially onto the building site)

I think the WA picked a dud with this hotel in the short term based on my experience... it’s too noisy, the views are hit and miss (best views equaling more noise as towards the front), and the rates are consistently higher than the St Regis or Park Hyatt (where elite benefits are better / more consistent).

Positives - the rooms are fresh/clean, the decor is generally very tasteful and muted, staff are really nice and very polished (verging on MO level helpful), spa treatment was again excelllent, breakfast and room service food also excellent, and the bars are amazing. Seems to have all the makings of a great hotel, but not quite. I really want to like it for the effort the staff put in, but Bangkok has so many luxury hotel offerings ... including the soon to open Rosewood.

carls888 and Kacee like this.

Last edited by EGW1; Feb 22, 2019 at 8:18 am
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EGW1
Back in Bangkok and gave this place another go
Where did your review go? I read that you had to change your room four times, and it was noisy, they said no suites but were strangely available for upsell and you wouldn’t go back. Now blank..?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 5:49 pm

Checked in yesterday on a 5 night award stay as a Diamond. Booked the standard king deluxe room, upgraded to the king deluxe suite in the app on checkin day. So far so good.

ETA: breakfast is very impressive.

Last edited by Troopers; Apr 2, 2019 at 6:35 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: VA, A3, HH, SQ, EK, CX
Has anyone stayed as a Honors Gold member recently ?
What benefits did you receive ? Is the breakfast strictly continental or do you get access to the buffet ?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by ozguytim
Has anyone stayed as a Honors Gold member recently ?
What benefits did you receive ? Is the breakfast strictly continental or do you get access to the buffet ?
Not Gold but I can confirm you should get the whole buffet.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:31 am

Programs: SQ, BA, QR, Marriott Titanium & LT Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Plat, AmEx Cent
I’m back (again) and I have to say, all is forgiven! The staff could not be any nicer, the food has been amazing as always, the Spa was better than I remembered, and I was upgraded to a beautiful room in a quiet corner. It feels as if everything has finally come together and the hotel is operating as it should, with total understated elegance and luxury. I think it’s becoming a favourite, and they definitely listened to the feedback I gave last time. General manager came to speak, lovely Easter eggs in the room. What a turnaround, can’t wait to come back, and I am (admittedly) not that easy to please!
craig44485 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:37 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I’m back (again) and I have to say, all is forgiven! The staff could not be any nicer, the food has been amazing as always, the Spa was better than I remembered, and I was upgraded to a beautiful suite in a quiet corner. It feels as if everything has finally come together and the hotel is operating as it should, with total understated elegance and luxury. I think it’s becoming a favourite, and they definitely listened to the feedback I gave last time. What a turnaround, can’t wait to come back.
Great to hear, I am looking forward to my stay there in a couple of weeks - will write a review with my comments.

Exactly which room type did you book and which room type did you get upgraded to? I guess from your description it's the 'King Corner Suite' or was it the 'One Bdr Astoria Suite'?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 6:46 am

You caught me in the middle of adding in a line about my Easter eggs lol...I booked a base room and it is I think a king corner deluxe suite (06 / 07 series). Not much of a view, but quiet, which I like.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 8:31 am

I booked a base room and it is I think a king corner deluxe suite (06 / 07 series). Not much of a view, but quiet, which I like.
I had also booked a based room (5 award nights) was upgraded to the king deluxe suite (06). It is very quiet. The view wasn't horrible with the bed and sitting area facing the two pools next door. The bathroom faced the AC units but we didn't open the blinds anyways.

The breakfast is phenomenal. The asian station is on a 6 day rotation.
craig44485 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond, SPG Gold
How is the late check out benefit for this property for Diamond members? Is it an option in NOR1? Would need to be in BKK till around 4pm and hoping to have the room till then.

Or should I stick to Hilton Sukumvit
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by kt85
How is the late check out benefit for this property for Diamond members? Is it an option in NOR1? Would need to be in BKK till around 4pm and hoping to have the room till then.

1pm was fine, 4pm might be pushing it if you are in a suite and there are other Diamonds due for check in.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by kt85

Late check out was denied during my Christmas/New year stay even not by half hour, understandable since it's the busiest season of the year. Last stay 5 weeks ago I got 2PM checkout. I believe 4PM is a little too much to ask at this hotel and you will be lucky if you can get 4PM at Sukhumvit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.