Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2017] Conrad Tokyo {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:41 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
N'ex + suica

Thanks to the helpful information upthread, we purchased the N'EX round-trip plus SUICA pass packages at Narita.

The SUICA cards have a 500 yen deposit, and likely will have some residual value when we leave. On the next trip to Tokyo, is there a way to recapture this (e.g., by exchanging the old SUICA card when purchasing a new N'EX + SUICA package), or is it best to just purchase new packages and forget the old SUICA?

Given that the package is cheaper than just the N'EX, it's not a bad deal to do so, but would like to verify.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by anabolism
When booking a room, the web site says "All rooms at this property are non-smoking." (Still, when we checked in, our room was very smokey, for which the hotel apologized and reconfirmed that it wasn't permitted.)
I'm sure there's some kind of misunderstanding here, because the hotel certainly has smoking rooms.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by NickW
I'm sure there's some kind of misunderstanding here, because the hotel certainly has smoking rooms.
I know the clerk told us that our floor was non-smoking (which implies other floors aren't), but the web site says all rooms are non-smokng:

Old Apr 15, 2012, 8:51 am

Minor drama in the lounge

Minor drama in the lounge a couple days ago: at breakfast a man came in, put his bag down at a table, and went to the chef to order an omelet ("make it with egg-whites only; just the egg whites").

He returned to his table, omelet in hand, and loudly exclaimed that someone took his bag. He was very upset and spoke to the lounge attendant, and two other gentleman came forward and said they had seen a guy in a hat look around then take the bag and walk out.

I'd seen a kid in a knit cap standing at a window table, look around a few times, then walk out with a Conrad Tokyo bag, but not thought anything of it.

The attendant called security, and the man whose bag was taken and the other gentlemen were interviewed. When asked what was in the bag, the man just kept saying "things that are mine. Just things that are mine."

Meanwhile the man's wife or female companion came to the lounge to assess the situation. She was very outspoken and when the security employee told the couple they shouldn't leave their bag unattended, she seemed offended and loudly replied how she found it interesting that she sees people leave their bicycles unlocked on the street. I didn't hear the security staff's reply, but she repeated "So it's not a good idea" a few times.

A little later a lady came into the lounge with a Conrad Tokyo carrier bag and said someone must have lost it, her son found it and brought it to their room so she was returning it. The couple apparently didn't see this, because when the security employee brought it back to them and asked them to check that everything was inside, the lady asked how he got it back.

The next day we saw the couple in the lounge at breakfast with the bag again. On their last trip to the buffet, the woman brought had bread, what looked like cold cuts or salmon, and lettuce, wrapped in a napkin to the table and wrap it in plastic; the man brought a few bottles of water. They slip these into the carrier bag under a hat and items and leave the lounge. No wonder they were so upset when the bag went missing; they thought they'd have no way to sneak out their lunch!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:37 am

The SUICA cards have a 500 yen deposit, and likely will have some residual value when we leave. On the next trip to Tokyo, is there a way to recapture this (e.g., by exchanging the old SUICA card when purchasing a new N'EX + SUICA package), or is it best to just purchase new packages and forget the old SUICA?
Answering my own query:

You can get a refund of the 500 yen deposit on the old SUICA card, but lose any residual value. Best thing is to find a convenience store to buy a treat with it, I think.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Answering my own query:

You can get a refund of the 500 yen deposit on the old SUICA card, but lose any residual value. Best thing is to find a convenience store to buy a treat with it, I think.
My memory is that you can refund residual value also for a fee of ¥210 or 220 at a JR East ticket office.
Refunds
When the card is returned, the deposit of 500 yen is returned along with any remaining amount.
There is a charge of 210 yen to return a Suica card, which is deducted from the total. If there is less than 210 yen on the card, then only that remaining amount is counted as the return charge.
Suica cards issued by JR East Japan can be returned only at JR East stations. Suica cards issued by the Tokyo Monorail or elsewhere cannot be returned to JR East. Refer to the issuing company for further details on how to return them.

Terms of Use
If not used for a period of 10 years, the Suica becomes invalid.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Hilton family of websites is frequently incorrect on smoking / non-smoking. E.g. I have seen US HGIs listed as offering smoking rooms when the hotel has signage out stating they are 100% non-smoking.

Frankly, it beggars the mind to imagine a large hotel in Japan being entirely non-smoking; not long ago even a majority of physicians smoked, and though smoking is at an ebb, smoking prevalence was 36.6% among men and 12.1% among women in 2010.

At the Conrad, there is often a very smoky atmosphere on the check-in floor due to smoking in the vicinity making it quite unwelcoming to those with allergies or merely wishing to avoid the smell and the carbon monoxide.

I know the clerk told us that our floor was non-smoking (which implies other floors aren't), but the web site says all rooms are non-smokng:<graphic not included>
Old Apr 16, 2012, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
My memory is that you can refund residual value also for a fee of ¥210 or 220 at a JR East ticket office.
At Tokyo Station, we were refunded the 500 yen deposit, but lost the 130 yen residual value (I had intended to buy stuff with it, but forgot). The text you quoted implies that any residual value up to 210 yen is lost, so the optimal course is to spend down the card first.

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Hilton family of websites is frequently incorrect on smoking / non-smoking. E.g. I have seen US HGIs listed as offering smoking rooms when the hotel has signage out stating they are 100% non-smoking.
Good to know! I had figured they'd be the source of accurate information.

Frankly, it beggars the mind to imagine a large hotel in Japan being entirely non-smoking; not long ago even a majority of physicians smoked, and though smoking is at an ebb, smoking prevalence was 36.6% among men and 12.1% among women in 2010.
I'm still amazed at how health-concenious in general people tend to be in Japan, with smoking as a major, glaring, exception. Likewise, people in Japan are exceptionally polite but don't regard forcing someone else to smoke to be at all impolite.

At the Conrad, there is often a very smoky atmosphere on the check-in floor due to smoking in the vicinity making it quite unwelcoming to those with allergies or merely wishing to avoid the smell and the carbon monoxide.
Yeah, the one significant downside of the Conrad is the horrible smokiness of the lobby.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
I wanted to report on an outstanding stay at the Conrad Tokyo.

I was only there for two days because I was heading off to the Hoshinoya Karuizawa resort afterwards but it was a blissful two days. I had arranged for a massage at the spa for a few hours after my arrival and that just started everything off on a perfect note.

My first morning I had breakfast in the restaurant, which was excellent and the second day I had breakfast in the Executive Lounge.

Now, prior to my stay, I had heard a lot about the lounge but, until you experience it, it's not quite real. I might consider flying over just for afternoon tea.

I only dined once in the hotel - China Blue - and it was excellent.

I have my duck and my bear to remind me of my stay. My next Conrad will be the New York one.

I wrote up a review with five virtual tours (on the last page) if anyone is interested. A few of my photos are below as well.

Conrad Tokyo – Hotel Review

The taxi pulled into the Conrad Tokyo’s driveway but my travels weren’t quite over yet. The ground-floor lobby with the beautiful sculpture is just a tease. An elevator shuttles guests to the actual lobby on the 28th floor, modern yet traditional, with rich dark wood paneling and great views everywhere. Glowing lightboxes abound. The concierge’s desk, set in front of a painting that is almost as high as the ceiling, …

Last edited by jspira; Apr 25, 2012 at 7:02 pm
Old May 19, 2012, 8:10 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by bamboola
FYI - in March 2011, I paid 5500 Yen, which included RT on the N'Ex, 1500Y on a Suica card, and a 500Y deposit. Thus, the RT N'Ex ended up costing 3500Y.
Sounds like the best bet. I'll go this route.

"Interesting cultural experience" and riding the Tokyo metro during rush hour are an oxymoron ... I've been traveling in and to Japan since 1965 - I won't do it.
Great advice. Thank you. Loved the visuals. I guess you second the Suica & N'Ex option?
Old May 20, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Have two nights here coming up in a couple of weeks, looking forward to it.
Old May 20, 2012, 11:45 am
b8b

I received the following notice from the Conrad regarding a future booking:

"Please kindly be informed that there will be a temporary closure of the 37th Floor Executive Lounge due to Group reservation, the lounge will be closed from 14 June until 18 June. During the period of the Executive Lounge closure, there will be an alternative Hospitality room for our valued Executive Floor guests. "
Old May 20, 2012, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by jspira
Now, prior to my stay, I had heard a lot about the lounge but, until you experience it, it's not quite real. I might consider flying over just for afternoon tea.
I edited many books in the Conrad Tokyo lounge....always sat in the right corner....and then it snowed one day! ^

Love that hotel. Just right 4 me.

Spock Seat
Old May 28, 2012, 12:42 pm
b8b

Originally Posted by bamboola
This is how I got from NRT to the Conrad earlier this year. I followed instructions posted somewhere on FTalk (sorry, I can't remember where). This route was simple and quite effortless:

Take the N'EX to Tokyo Station. Upon arrival at Tokyo Station, take the Yokosuka line to Shimbashi. Stay at the exact platform you arrive on. About 10 minutes later, the Yokosuka train arrived. One stop to Shimbashi. Easy walk to the Conrad...
Forgive me, I'm a bit confused on the second and third sentence of your instructions: Do you just stay on the same platform you arrived from on the N'EX and take the Yokosuka line to Shimbashi from there? Or...?

At Tokyo Station, we were refunded the 500 yen deposit, but lost the 130 yen residual value (I had intended to buy stuff with it, but forgot).
Where can you get Suica refunds in Tokyo station? Can you do this at NRT somewhere as well?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:57 pm

How have Golds been making out recently wrt upgrades and exec lounge access?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.