Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 9:25 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
The clerk had another employee (I believe a manager) do something and was able to get us in a king deluxe exec room. It's strange the first agent said they had no exec level rooms and then all of a sudden someone else could upgrade me.
How is that strange that a manager has the authority to shuffle around preassigned rooms when a line agent may not? But then again, they were probably holding that room back for a Gold in Hilton's ongoing conspiracy to slight Diamonds
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:03 pm

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Hilton Checkers

King Superior, got same. Told in advancethat due to my great discount ia corporate rate, a room upgrade will always be out of the question...Thanks Hilton.

Last edited by fozziedoggie; Jul 28, 2013 at 12:24 am
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:55 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
King Superior, got same. Told in advancethat due to my great discount ia corporate rate, a room upgrade will always beout of the question...Thanks Hilton.
Could be worse; I've missed upgrades when booked close to rack rates a few times this year.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:28 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Failed to get an upgrade at the Hilton Athenee Palace on one of two stays there this week, my first miss there in many stays. It is hard to complain, they treat diamonds very well and the hotel was full.

Neil
Old Jul 28, 2013, 9:53 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Booked standard rooms at London Paddington Hilton and Tower Bridge Hilton for last week and received standard rooms. In both hotels the front desk clerks did boast giving out very generous upgrades by offering me the exec. lounge access... Tower Bridge did not have working wifi in the first room assigned on the sixth floor. Had to move to another standard room after settling in comfortably, no apology for the inconvenience. Also the incidentals were billed to a wrong credit card from that what was agreed. Worthwhile complaining?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:53 pm

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Hilton Auckland (2 stays, July 2013), both times upgraded to harbour view king-bed room (there are no executive rooms, nor executive lounge).

Hilton Taupo (July 2013), upgraded to one bedroom apartment (very nice and spacious with fully equiped kitchen).

Hilton Melbourne on the Park (July 2013), upgraded to Relaxation Suite.

Hilton Adelaide (July-August 2013), upgraded to executive king-bed room.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:56 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Hilton Guadalajara. No suite upgrade.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 9:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
Hilton Munich Park

Hilton Munich Park (Germany), booked Standard King, got Executive King with an excellent view across Munich's Central Park (Englischer Garten) and the city. A very good Hilton overall, the pool is tiny though (maybe 7 metres?!). Steam room needs a refresh.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Santa Fe Hilton No upgrade.

I am starting to hear more comments that if you are traveling on a corporate/low/award rate you are being passed over for an upgrade. If this is true its a change of policy. In previous years I had great upgrades on Corp rates and award stays.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by JONEZY00

I am starting to hear more comments that if you are traveling on a corporate/low/award rate you are being passed over for an upgrade. If this is true its a change of policy. In previous years I had great upgrades on Corp rates and award stays.
Is Hilton just giving priority to diamonds on a higher rate for an upgrade, or are they totally passing over diamonds on a lower rate code and leaving upgraded rooms empty and/or giving them to golds on a higher rate.

If Hilton is following in the steps of airlines and giving upgrades to diamonds on a rack rate/higher rate over a diamond on a lower rate and there are a limited number of suites/upgraded rooms available I don't realy have a problem with this policy change, and in fact welcome it.

Now if they are just letting suites/upgraded rooms stay empty while not upgrading a diamond on a low rate, or upgrading a gold on a rack rate over a diamond on a cheap corporate rate that is not right.

I have seen on the gold upgrade thread on this forum golds are reporting suite upgrades at properties I haven't been upgraded at as a diamond so not sure if they are handling upgrades now.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards

Two weeks ago I was told flat-out by check-in staff at Checkers Hotel (Los Angeles) due to my corporate rate, it was not possible to upgrade me even though larger rooms were availale. So it's not hearsay as far as I'm concerned.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))

Do you have a lot of nights logged with Hilton for your status or do you have it via a credit card or fast track? That could also be a factor.

I have a couple stays at the Roosevelt WA in NOLA recently and was told that they will give preference for upgrades at that property for diamonds who have a lot of nights. I was told the same thing at Checkers in LA (they are bad about suite upgrades but will give you a nicer room) and another property in TX. It sounded like they would still upgrade guests without many nights if there was availability, but the guests with a lot of nights were receiving higher priority which is fair.

That is a change I would like to see all Hilton properties make to match SPG's 50/75/100 Plat program.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:19 am

Two weeks ago I was told flat-out by check-in staff at Checkers Hotel (Los Angeles) due to my corporate rate, it was not possible to upgrade me even though larger rooms were availale. So it's not hearsay as far as I'm concerned.
My issue with Checkers is they downgraded the breakfast a couple years ago.

I received a Junior Suite last week, but usually when they upgrade me they say it is to a "bigger room".

Last stay I did receive a Jr Suite and was on a discounted rate (AAA). I don't remember if it was this last stay or the stay before but I was told the same thing the Roosevelt in NOLA told me, that they give upgrade preference to diamonds with more nights^^

I think a property should be giving upgrade preference to diamonds with more nights seeing SPG does, and don't have an issue with higher rates being upgrades first seeing the airlines do the same thing. But if upgrades are available and they know they won't sell them, then upgrade other diamonds after their higher rates and high stay diamonds have been upgraded.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Hilton Athenee Palace Hotel: didn't get an upgrade when checking in on a Monday night for a two night stay, my first missed suite upgrade at this hotel in many stays. They said they were completely full and were very apologetic.

My second stay later in the week was upgraded as expected.

Neil
Old Aug 8, 2013, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I would have asked for that in writing so I could send a copy to Corporate to help them understand why my corporation was switching its hotel partner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.