Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Diamond suite upgrade failure thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 11:18 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I know, I know, HI properties don't officially do "upgrades," but until today, I'd been 100% at Hampton Inns & Suites at upgrades into suites. At the FAT Airport HI & Suites, I booked a 2x queen standard room, and got a 2x queen standard room.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Have you seen the number of suites going to Golds........... no wonder there is a failure thread for Diamonds.

I had to pay for a suite upgrade at El Conquistador, $35 night.........

My last three stays all upgraded to deluxe rooms. I appreciate these upgrades, but I have paid for a suite on my next stay, in case a Gold gets it instead............

Last edited by Skimanant; Jun 14, 2013 at 11:38 am
Old Jun 14, 2013, 11:00 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
I know, I know, HI properties don't officially do "upgrades," but until today, I'd been 100% at Hampton Inns & Suites at upgrades into suites. At the FAT Airport HI & Suites, I booked a 2x queen standard room, and got a 2x queen standard room.
Two Thursdays ago, I tried to book a room there about seven hours before I was to arrive. Nothing but rack rate, and no kings available. Used the hiltonfamilymvp site and booked next door at the Homewood for a 40% less, and when I arrived they had upgraded me (a lowly gold) to the 2nd largest one bedroom suite in the hotel.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
Beverly Hilton--was only upgraded to a deluxe room, but not even with a balcony. No upgrade to a balcony, a cabana room, or any of the other rooms between plain old deluxe (oxymoron?) and suite. Hotel was far from full, from my perspective, but it was a five night stay, so perhaps there was one night when they were exceptionally busy, but with events going on, it'd be really hard to say.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 3:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Seelbach in Lexington Kentucky - Reserved a Junior Suite and that is what I got. In addition, not only did I not get an upgrade I am only on the crappy fourth floor of a ten story hotel when my preference is high floors.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by Skimanant
Have you seen the number of suites going to Golds........... no wonder there is a failure thread for Diamonds.

I had to pay for a suite upgrade at El Conquistador, $35 night.........

My last three stays all upgraded to deluxe rooms. I appreciate these upgrades, but I have paid for a suite on my next stay, in case a Gold gets it instead............
I saw that thread and it sounds like golds are having better luck than diamonds getting upgrades they aren't even entitled to. One gold said they got the presidential suite at Niagra Falls when I didn't even get upgraded there as a diamond. There is no way there were no diamonds to upgrade there that night!

I have no problems with Gold's getting upgraded, but they need to upgrade their diamonds first. Most diamonds spend over 2 months out of the year in Hilton properties and they should get upgraded before someone that has a Hilton credit card! Hyatt is very strict about not upgrading Platinum's to suites or club level (their version of Gold) and as a diamond I know of no times where a Plat got upgraded at a Hyatt over me. Hyatt is also very strict about only giving Lounge access to people on the club levels or diamonds and you don't have the issues with overcrowding that you do at Hilton lounges that give all golds access. Hilton needs to have similar policies in place (they do with lounge access but a lot of FDA's don't enforce it and will give access to any gold that asks and sometimes silvers).

What I really don't understand is gold's getting compensated when they don't get a suite upgrade. As a diamond (and other diamonds I know), I NEVER get offered compensation if I can't even get an exec level upgrade. Is this something I need to start asking for, I hate to ask for compensation I don't deserve.

I am also thinking maybe diamonds need to just start asking for upgrades??? A property should automatically upgrade a diamond without asking over a gold that requests one.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Hilton Atlanta-no upgrade at all. Got the room type I booked even though exec level rooms can be booked for this weekend on Hilton.com At least they gave me two breakfast buffet vouchers and overheard a gold being checked in who was also denied an upgrade and was told they couldn't have lounge access after asking so at least Diamonds get a little more love here. If they would have given the DYKWIA gold an upgrade, I would have complained.

Hilton Chicago Weds, no suite upgrade, but was upgraded to a large room with two bathrooms.

Chicago Hilton O'Hare last night-no suite upgrade even though it appears they upgrade gold's regularly to suites there.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 11:32 am

Trianon Palace Versailles

Booked King Park View; got King Park View even though King Junior Suites (one category up) were available.

The WA only offers one category upgrades. I was actually offered a one-category DOWNgrade at check in to a King Garden View.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat.; DL Plat; Hilton Gold
At 46 pages of "upgrade fails," maybe we should just assume that Diamonds don't get suite upgrades at all? It'd be consistent with all of the other de-valuations of the program...
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club Plat, Accor Gold, Flying Blue, Exec Club.
Unsure if this is a failure or not. Hilton Newbury Centre. Booked a suite, got a suite, not upgraded to the Bi level suite (1 cat upgrade).
In rooms robe, water, salty snack, 2 drink certs (no lounge). Full breakfast given. The list of benefits on reception for gold and diamond were identical. I think there was a mistake with the 1000 points as it said points or breakfast, making them identical.
Reception very pleasant, and overall a good stay. I did ask if anything would be delivered in lieu of no upgrade (it was a quiet weekend), but nothing arrived. Not the end of the world, no charge for parking.

Got me thinking. Maybe hotels upgrade Diamonds first, therefore using their "lower" upgrade inventory to ensure upgrades happen. Less is then left, so when others request upgrades they then have to use their "whats left" or "higher" inventory to try to keep everyone happy?

Last edited by Skimanant; Jun 16, 2013 at 3:09 pm
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold 1MM+) Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
I checked into the Olathe, KS Double Tree a couple of hours ago and I asked if I could get a suite upgrade. Reception desk advised I was upgraded to a King corner room. I stay at this property a couple of times a month and have only been upgraded to a suite 1 time in over a year.

After I checked in this evening, the person behind me got a "special welcome letter!" It's not that I need a letter, but I don't ever remember receiving a welcome letter when staying at this property and I have been a Diamond for several years. It's still a good property to stay at though.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 5:28 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by MrHilton
Haha I have the same experience, I mostly book suites these days since I like the extra space and when I really want a certain room type, I book it to avoid disappointment.

They then come with their "we have upgraded you" line, and most of the time I get a bette suite when showing them that I originally booked a suite.
Yep, got this line at the Hilton Charlotte Executive Park a few weeks ago (in fairness, this property is usually great about upgrades, and treats elites well, but this particular check-in clerk was dumber than a crack whore). I had booked a Deluxe Suite on points and asked at check-in for a Superior Suite (same layout but on the Executive Floor, although some are actually slightly larger). I was told "Sorry, but not on your rate, but we upgraded you to a nice suite!" When I told her that I had booked a suite, her response was "Right, sorry the upgrade isn't available on your rate, but at least you get breakfast!"
Old Jun 17, 2013, 6:31 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Hilton New Orleans Riverside.

Was only able to reserve a queen, moved to King on request on Executive floor but standard room

Still, one of the nicer lounges out there
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by NDDomer86
Yep, got this line at the Hilton Charlotte Executive Park a few weeks ago (in fairness, this property is usually great about upgrades, and treats elites well, but this particular check-in clerk was dumber than a crack whore). I had booked a Deluxe Suite on points and asked at check-in for a Superior Suite (same layout but on the Executive Floor, although some are actually slightly larger). I was told "Sorry, but not on your rate, but we upgraded you to a nice suite!" When I told her that I had booked a suite, her response was "Right, sorry the upgrade isn't available on your rate, but at least you get breakfast!"
I'd ask for the Front Desk Manager at that point, to explain that some (re-? probably not) training would prove beneficial.

If I didn't feel like any level of confrontation, I'd send a polite letter to Hilton Corporate asking about their policies.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 2:44 am

Hilton Newport, Wales. Queen to king deluxe. They do only have 2 suites I think, and they weren't available to book.
Water, robe, newspaper, internet, drink voucher (2 would have been nice!), full breakfast, jar of nuts in room. Overall not a suite but quite happy for a stay on my own. Good value. My only gripe might be the parking charge!

Last edited by Skimanant; Jun 18, 2013 at 3:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.